SaltCritters.com

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Good afternoon people of the reef. I did some cleaning today. For the first time I siphoned the sand bed into a sock that was hanging inside the sump. Not only did I get to vacuum the entire tank without running out of bucket , but I feel really happy that I was able to take my time and not rush because the bucket was about to over flow. I used a 16" sock and it was totally clogged by the time I was done. Every part that I was able to get to has the new sand look since it was tumbled over. Then I did a small water change.

This Blue Vermiculata is slowly taking on a rainbow of colors, I'm really excited.

20150424_140258.jpg

I put the 2nd clam on the Kittiyagi, not sure if I'll let it stay but it likes it there. The flip side is that the bits of coral underneath it will die. The clam with the coral isn't much of a contrast though.

20150424_140506.jpg

• Like 4

I'm most excited about this video below of Oreo the clam. I sent it to Zeph earlier. I am feeding Coral snow which was mixed with MB7 and was sitting for a few days. The clam doesn't cough, doesn't close up, in fact it appears to be inhaling and exhaling the coral snow mixture. Hopefully I'll remember to feed live phyto and preserved phyto to document how the clam reacts to those vs Coral snow. All I can say for now is that the clam always coughs up anything i have previously fed it. Maybe it's a big girl and has a bigger digestive system so there is less coughing. I'll find out more when i feed other things.

Here's Oreo eating Coral Snow

At the beginning of the video she even exhales it like she's smoking. :)

Here's another video from top down

• Like 4

Anybody know the ingredients in goniopower?

"Ingredients: Freeze-dried zooplankton "

For what it's worth I liked and got a stronger reaction form corals with Reef Roids. It's a finer powder that mixes better with the tank water

• Like 2

Just tried both this week and reef roids mixed much better. Goniopower just sort of clumped up and didn't disperse as well.

Corals liked the roids better.

• Like 2
jedimaster1138

Anybody know the ingredients in goniopower?

Whatever it is, my gonipora, alveopora and NPS seem to gobble it up. I do mix it with 9 other things though.

• Like 1

Well if you search this forum with me as the author and the word nasuta, you'll see the Kat. Zeph corrected me about a year+ ago that it was a subulata. DD does mix up their names. So let's just called it the Katropora. :lol:

• Like 2