Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Iron is the only thing I won't dose. Because of clams. Besides the greens are pretty good in my tank. Honestly all colors are rather great. Except the Kat colony. The other pieces of the Kat looks great. So there must be an irritant on the Kat.

Colony.

Iron is the only thing I won't dose. Because of clams. Besides the greens are pretty good in my tank. Honestly all colors are rather great. Except the Kat colony. The other pieces of the Kat looks great. So there must be an irritant on the Kat.

Colony.

I thought you were suppose to start dosing iron when you switch to starfire?

• Like 1

I think high nitrates are just one of those new tank things. I never did anything in my 40 and my nitrates registered for a few months and then vanished. I had to work at it in my 150 and now I'm curious to see what happens as I lower the dosing of NOPOX.

My phosphates are pretty darn low now as well but I'm not changing anything yet. Since my tank is a little older I might have enough background phosphates, unmeasurable, that different type, magic aged dust, whatever, to protect the corals.

• Like 2

I say we all just use my new method of "not giving a crap what your params are" because its been doing good for me so far, much better than before when i micro-managed every param and freaked out about them lol.

• Like 7

I think high nitrates are just one of those new tank things. I never did anything in my 40 and my nitrates registered for a few months and then vanished. I had to work at it in my 150 and now I'm curious to see what happens as I lower the dosing of NOPOX.

My phosphates are pretty darn low now as well but I'm not changing anything yet. Since my tank is a little older I might have enough background phosphates, unmeasurable, that different type, magic aged dust, whatever, to protect the corals.

I experienced the same right about the 3-4 mo mark. NO3 was 50. A few extra water changes and went away on their own. Now.. exactly 2 years later they are back. Multiple large water changes are in order for me, to the tune of 50-60g each. Thankfully i still have some RC salt left. I know I had switched to RSCP a couple months back, but I don't feel comfortable changing so much water with that high alk. Regular scheduled water changes didn't cause much fluctuation, but this will be a huge change.

I say we all just use my new method of "not giving a crap what your params are" because its been doing good for me so far, much better than before when i micro-managed every param and freaked out about them lol.

That works for a while, then your nitrates creep up on ya and all hell breaks loose.

• Like 1

That works for a while, then your nitrates creep up on ya and all hell breaks loose.

Nah, not when your BB, have a Cube of cheato in your sump :lol: .

Nah but im sure if i did zero maintenance and kept going the way i was going id have an issue, but noting drastic.

jedimasterben

You'd actually be surprised how little difference a macroalgae refugium makes unless it is extremely large and well-lit. ;)

• Like 1

You'd actually be surprised how little difference a macroalgae refugium makes unless it is extremely large and well-lit. ;)

For 35ish gallons, i have a literal cube, from corner to corner, approximately 8"x9"x10". Grows like a weed and I've never had nitrate or phosphate issues even with all the crap I've been throwing in since I tore my tank apart. I don't expect it to be the sole removal factor, but it does a hell of a job. ;)

Nah but im sure if i did zero maintenance and kept going the way i was going id have an issue, but noting drastic.

How many fish? I only saw 1 cardinal in your FTS. Both Kat and I are stocked with a good amount though.

BB + light bioload.. probably tends to ride lean on NO3. Whatever u doin tho man, looks great!

How many fish? I only saw 1 cardinal in your FTS. Both Kat and I are stocked with a good amount though.

BB + light bioload.. probably tends to ride lean on NO3. Whatever u doin tho man, looks great!

Lol thanks but not anymore.

I had 5 fish for the majority of the time. Then i tore the tank apart to kill off some flatworms so i brought 3 back to my LFS.

PAR numbers.

These are with LED's on level 105 out of 256.

Numbers with a / are LED/WithT5s

PARnumbers.jpg

So right away I need to keep increasing my LED levels. The numbers with the T5s are really good but they will be better with the LEDs ramped up as well.

Also keep in mind, these numbers are with all pumps off and the water as still as can be with just fish swimming about. With the pumps on I likely lose numbers. And I have a screen top which further reduces my light. So gotta ramp these LEDs up up up up

• Like 2
jedimasterben

That's all you have to say to me? :slap:

Of course not. :slap:

I personally wouldn't worry about increasing the LEDs too much more unless you also adjust how long the T5 are all on. With a few spots hitting 400, you're getting into photoinhibition territory, so more light won't lead to more growth potential. :)

But the Frag rack is low as well, right?

That # is LEDs only. With T5s on, the numbers are jumping 150-200 so the frag rack becomes ~350 with T5s. The frags look good, yes. But do they look like before? I don't know. What PAR does your Katropora get?

• Like 1

I think high nitrates are just one of those new tank things. I never did anything in my 40 and my nitrates registered for a few months and then vanished.

Yeah, it's probably just that the tank's biological filter isn't settled in yet.

I haven't checked any parameters in like a year....

• Like 2