Cultivated Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Yup

I was totally guna buy that one, if its the same one im thinking of. Idk why i never bought it, or any other one for that fact. Love red gonis

I was totally guna buy that one, if its the same one im thinking of. Idk why i never bought it, or any other one for that fact. Love red gonis

This was from a hobbyist - his name is Sam. He was selling hot pink gonioporas and zoanthids.

This was from a hobbyist - his name is Sam. He was selling hot pink gonioporas and zoanthids.

Oh well i saw one at a booth, looked similar, regret not getting it.

• Like 1

Here is an example:

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productcart/pc/ORA-Red-Goniopora-43p10474.htm

I was just looking at this, and then saw your gorgeous goniopora post which made me wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something.

Looks like the same species I have!

Oh well i saw one at a booth, looked similar, regret not getting it.

This is truthfully my first time with this animal, I wasn't sure how it would do, nobody seems to keep it going for long. But Zeph has massive colonies from Dr Mac that are doing well.

• Like 1
jedimaster1138

That gonipora is probably the most aggressive coral in your entire reef. Give it a wide berth. Whatever it touches, it will likely murder.

I grabbed a small frag from Dr. Mac a few months back. It's doubled since. Loves flow and food. Spritz it with the powedery yummy goodness.

I'm in about month 6 with a green alveopora that's kicking but. I love these types of corals now.

• Like 5

On the goniopora, is that the aquacultured stuff that I have seen here and there which the interwebs claims is pretty hardy?

Here is an example:

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productcart/pc/ORA-Red-Goniopora-43p10474.htm

I was just looking at this, and then saw your gorgeous goniopora post which made me wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something.

The ORA goni is about as hardy as most corals commonly kept these days.

I think most of what you see around these days is pretty hardy. Most of what you see are also red in color; don't know if that's a coinidence or not.

Hmm, maybe I should remove it from the rock and have it on it's own somewhere.

That's what I would recommend

• Like 3

The ORA goni is about as hardy as most corals commonly kept these days.

I think most of what you see around these days is pretty hardy. Most of what you see are also red in color; don't know if that's a coinidence or not.

That's what I would recommend

Moved the Goni. It didn't like being handled but is surprisingly starting to peek out again.

The Katropora colony I glued down a couple of weeks ago is browning, the pieces high up on the frag racks are still great. I checked phosphates and they aren't terrible. It has to be lighting. I ramped up the LED's by 5 points yesterday. I also added another reactor with a little more GFO.

THE RABBIT IS TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM THE NEON!

Bumped up my post for Markalot and Ark

The Katropora colony I glued down a couple of weeks ago is browning, the pieces high up on the frag racks are still great. I checked phosphates and they aren't terrible. It has to be lighting. I ramped up the LED's by 5 points yesterday. I also added another reactor with a little more GFO.

If your other frags are still good its not your phos, has to just be light or flow, thats the only parameters that could change just from moving it.

Oh and happy birthday to the pico

• Like 1

I just took it off the rock it was glued on and put it back on the frag rack with the other Kat pieces. the tips are brown, the colony halfway down is still a decent color. If it was light related it would brown further down first I would think but I'm not sure. Hopefully the higher light will help. I added more GFO yesterday. Going to the LFS and will have them test the water for me too.

Bumped up my post for Markalot and Ark

I have no clue. I was going to say go all Coral+ T5 bulbs and dim the white LED's down and use for just shimmer and blues but I thought that was a little over the top. I'm still in my LED hate phase, except for special effects.

I would also get a magnifying glass or strong reading glasses and a flashlight and inspect the coral closely.

That's Veng LE GSP on that tree, right? Looks awesome if it is. If you're cheating on me with someone elses GSP I'll be a sad panda.

Lol. The pico has 3 varieties of GSP including my own. I can say with confidence that the most encrusting kind is Veng LE, mostly Veng LE is on the tree yes. :)

• Like 2

I have no clue. I was going to say go all Coral+ T5 bulbs and dim the white LED's down and use for just shimmer and blues but I thought that was a little over the top. I'm still in my LED hate phase, except for special effects.

I would also get a magnifying glass or strong reading glasses and a flashlight and inspect the coral closely.

The glued position of the Kat colony leads me to believe it is light. My PAR meter is on its way back to me so I can measure it this week.

I examined it and there are no bite marks or anything. It is somewhat fuzzy, misoterial filaments are out. There have been crabs sitting on it for days, they do that when they moult, go to the top of the SPS and sit there forever. That may have caused even less light to reach the top of the coral.

The other 2 large pieces of the Kat that sit on the frag rack have no browning.