Innovative Marine Aquariums

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

Hrmph

BGjSyd.jpg

Still not sure exactly what happened but polyp extension is back and colors slowly returning. All acros around it showed no sign of anything and color improved while the Kat threw a hissy fit.

• Like 2

Mines toast.. backup frag is still good.

Hopefully mine pulls through, sorry yours didn't make it. I wonder if you have a bacterial infection or something?

I accidentally raised KH in my 40 from 8 to 12, yes TWELVE over a week and the little frag in there looks fine. PO4 very low, NO3 just barely registering.

uVIjWc.jpg

KH stable in my 150 and the Kat looks like hell. KH 7.3, PO4 < .05, NO3 ~ 7, all stable.

I was joking in my thread that I've never had the Kat colored up for Christmas.

• Like 1

Well that sucks. Died after a year for no reason?

Yes.. no reason. 2 days after I posted the pic showing how good it was doing. Aside from 1 other piece of SPS (pocillopora) everything else appears ok, even the maricultured acros, and the other frag of the katropora.

Sorry to see that mark :(

I lost mine a few months back but I lost the whole tank. Went to bed everything happy, woke up to massive death. Kat can grow more in time right? :D

It's polyps are pretty smooth in that photo- cool!

What do you think Markalot? I might need to either move it or scrape away the (plating) montipora that decided to encrust towards the Katropora.

Sorry for the bad picture, next time I do a water change I'll get some good ones :)

Hi Harry,

just keep an eye on it and see how the interaction goes. You'll probably find that the Kat goes nuclear and kills the growing edge but each acro is different. My SSC will regularly kill back the mystic sunset near it.

So here, I put them side by side and you can now see the shoot out branches that will be fragged.

20151206_094242.jpg

20151206_094222.jpg

One of the most requested sizes for the Kat is a 1 inch or 2 inch frag, the way this coral grows in my tank is with short branches. It's easier to get a multi branch frag than a single branch. Multi branches are more $ than a single stem so that too leads me to have slower frags, waiting for these shoots to grow bigger so I can get a 1 inch simple frag. I let them encrust on my frag rack at least 3 weeks before shipping.

• Like 6

I get asked about the coloration on the frags you receive - even after shipping - a healthy Kat frag will have a vibrant green on the flesh and dark purple polyps. If you have low light you will see it browning out. The frags come from a high nutrient tank so if they lighten it needs more food.

As you see vertical growth - the flesh gets lighter towards the top of the branch - to a minty green. Colonies can have different growth patterns as you can see in Rogers tank and in Markalot and MikeTRs tanks. This is dependent on the flow in your tank IMO - also the light but it is more a flow thing. In my RSM it was in close proximity to 2 MP10s so it grew very very thick, bushy crowded branches. In this tank the display colony can't be more perfect in terms of a growth pattern for me personally. The Darth Kat grows differently as it is against the back wall but the shoots it send out are small branching things.

If your frag has dark purple on the tip, those are compactly growing crowding coralites. AS the frag goes taller those will space out with flesh appearing in between. Although, each of those coralites can grow into a branch too. The Katropora has a mind of her own apparently. :lol:

I could be wrong but just based on my observance of the frags I make: it displays fragging trauma and I see the very top coralite which on the display colony shows pinkish and flat - that top coralite becomes a regular purple coralite. I've noticed when that top coralite becomes more like the flat pinkish one, it signals vertical growth.

• Like 3

One of the most requested sizes for the Kat is a 1 inch or 2 inch frag, the way this coral grows in my tank is with short branches. It's easier to get a multi branch frag than a single branch. Multi branches are more $ than a single stem so that too leads me to have slower frags, waiting for these shoots to grow bigger so I can get a 1 inch simple frag. I let them encrust on my frag rack at least 3 weeks before shipping.

My frag was so badass- the minute I put it in :)

Edit:

OMG ITS ALREADY FULLY OVER THE PLUG! YAY FOR GROWTH!

25D0FB97-7644-440C-8C89-E953C12EBFCD_zps

• Like 1

Again I'm gonna say always remove sps from the plug. It really helps not bring aefw and other pest into your tank. It's great habit to get into.

I have been ever since people told me that- it was an older post I quoted. Even the little RR acros I moved to new dry plugs of my own before putting them on the rack :)

• Like 2