Cultivated Reef

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

• 2 weeks later...
theleftcoastguy

What's recommended as far as lighting, flow, etc for this to do well in a tank?

apologies in advance if that's been gone over somewhere in the middle of this thread

What's recommended as far as lighting, flow, etc for this to do well in a tank?

apologies in advance if that's been gone over somewhere in the middle of this thread

350+ PAR, moderate flow, PO4 < .08, Nitrates as high as 20 were not a problem but of course something more like 5 is better.

• Like 2

I just got mine a week or so ago. It's sitting at 200 PAR to acclimate. My PO4 is 0 (according to my Hannah, I've ordered a drop-color-they-all-look-the-same test to double-check) and nitrate is somewhere between 5 and 10, so I'm calling it 7. Flow where it's at is medium. It's been happily opening up and looking good. This weekend sometime it'll get moved to a 350 PAR location for a few weeks, then it'll end up in a 450-500 location. If it's happy there, I'll glue it down.

• Like 3

The Kat can handle high PAR, it likes good flow, not crazy tornados. It likes measurable nitrates and phosphates. Polyps mostly come out at night. I recommend feeding your tank at night at least once a week . Throw in some amino acids 30 min to 1 HR after lights out. Then throw in sps food 30 minutes after that.

• Like 2

The Kat can handle high PAR, it likes good flow, not crazy tornados. It likes measurable nitrates and phosphates. Polyps mostly come out at night. I recommend feeding your tank at night at least once a week . Throw in some amino acids 30 min to 1 HR after lights out. Then throw in sps food 30 minutes after that.

What aminos/sps food do you recommend?

I had Aquavitro Fūel for a while but didn't notice anything. Im using Reef Roids daily though

I use acro power most often, but fuel is good too. Amino acids trigger a feeding response, the coral senses that there is food in the water and polyps extend. Then when you add food the polyps catch it. Win.

Reef roids is great.

• Like 3
theleftcoastguy

I have a spot picked out in my tank for a 'centerpiece' coral that can definitely meet those par numbers, and I typically spot feed corals 2-3 times a week so I think I may have found my centerpiece

• Like 1

I use acro power most often, but fuel is good too. Amino acids trigger a feeding response, the coral senses that there is food in the water and polyps extend. Then when you add food the polyps catch it. Win.

Reef roids is great.

Looking online, its AWESOME that acro power doesn't need to be refrigerated. Might see if the LFS carries it next time I'm there.

Reef roids is great.

yeah, no matter what i used or how much i dosed, i could never get a feeding response out of SPS.

my LPS would go nuts though.

So... Leave on plug or get it off? Its almost done acclimating to my LEDs :)

(Heres an original picture; it looks pretty much the same)

Personally id rather take it off the plug to glue it to the rocks, but it is somewhat encrusted so I'm not sure if thats too risky

25D0FB97-7644-440C-8C89-E953C12EBFCD_zps

Shaggy the dog? Sold many many frags but I lost the colony a long time back. I have another shaggy the dog in the tank, WWC sunset millie but it's just a baby right now. Hairy baby. :D

So... Leave on plug or get it off? Its almost done acclimating to my LEDs :)(Heres an original picture; it looks pretty much the same) Personally id rather take it off the plug to glue it to the rocks, but it is somewhat encrusted so I'm not sure if thats too risky 25D0FB97-7644-440C-8C89-E953C12EBFCD_zps

You can to snap the stem off the plug and then it will just be a disk. You can take off just the coral, some of the encrusted parts will stay on the plug but that's okay
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

yeah, no matter what i used or how much i dosed, i could never get a feeding response out of SPS.

my LPS would go nuts though.

You have a flame angel though, right? Or at least did?
jedimasterben

Still not convinced that flame limited PE.

I even had frags in the sump and got 0 PE with AA.

only at night can I get PE.

That's really weird.

I didn't get to move it this weekend. But here's my Kat as of tonight at 200 PAR. Ignore the reflections on the glass. My wife walked in just as I was taking this pic, and she's one of those people who has to have every light in the damn house on.

j8h4yZ1.jpg

And here's why I love my old carbon fiber tripod:

tt7nU1d.jpg

My wife is also one of those people who can't help but pile shit everywhere in the house. Sigh...