ReefCleaners.org

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

jedimasterben

Sexy sexy sexy! Glad you got the potentiometer jumbo figured out, me and this phone dont get along enough to post much. God I can't wait til next week and I'll have a working system again!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the tank, your nem is so deep in color, almost looks like it has thick skin compared to most nems that have the see through look.

After one long night and an hour or two this morning getting it back together I've got the retro in.

There is currently one channel of LEDs

12 Cree XT-E Royal Blues

3 XP-E2 Blues

I can dim them down to 10% and I had them around 15% today.

I've got to bulbs per channel, Im still playing with the T5 bulbs but I currently have:

Actinic

Coral+

LED Retro

Coral +

B+

I’m really happy with how it turned out, with all bulbs on it is slightly LESS blue than it was before, but I have alot of colors popping I didn’t before, and the two Coral+ really make the fish look good.

17114608962_28e3b9255f_z.jpg

16928350778_055520601e_z.jpg

17090195566_6dfc078346_z.jpg

Looking forward to trying out some top down shots tomorrow, after working out how best to shoot with the new lights.

16928351138_0638b2ffec_z.jpg

Thanks again to Jedimasterben for his help, I came into the retro with NO understanding of LEDs, and feel pretty comfortable with them now.

Nice work. Looks good man
NorthGaHillbilly

Love the tank, your nem is so deep in color, almost looks like it has thick skin compared to most nems that have the see through look.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

The nem has been a weird one man, Never moved an inch since I got him 8 or 9 months ago, but color has shifted from great to oddly off several times.

Shot around a week ago

16329986943_be2e5dd2f5_z.jpg

Shot ~2 months ago

15964754073_e410532593_z.jpg

Notice how much more color the center has now. I have no clue what caused the change, but Im happy to see it have deeper color in the center

Nice work. Looks good man

Thank you sir, I understand zoas now, the LED Blues really make zoas pop

Thank you sir, I understand zoas now, the LED Blues really make zoas pop

It really makes it like a whole new coral. Downside is when you run whiter lights (no windex here) and the zoas you buy don't look near as nice :lol:

Light looks great!

I'm a big fan of the coral+ bulbs. Right now I'm running 4 coral+ and just 2 blue+. My "retro" is the BML LED strip lights I use. :)

NorthGaHillbilly

Light looks great!

I'm a big fan of the coral+ bulbs. Right now I'm running 4 coral+ and just 2 blue+. My "retro" is the BML LED strip lights I use. :)

I agree, I didnt run any of the coral+, but had several. Not sure why it took me so long to try them out. Brings out colors well, without going windex.

The nem has come a long way

14739381856_5010eecff8_z.jpg

So has the Duncan

14575735239_768e3b77ff_z.jpg

Dang dude diggin the light! Can't wait to see what T5/LED combo looks like over might tank. I'll have to try that T5 combo you got.

NorthGaHillbilly

Dang dude diggin the light! Can't wait to see what T5/LED combo looks like over might tank. I'll have to try that T5 combo you got.

Thanks man! Im still playing with the t5s some, but I think its a good starting point. but keep in mind, my LEDs are solely a blue supplement, so it might not translate to a full spectrum LED

Latest woodworking projects...dear and pig wire trellises and crdar raised beds.

E832B41F-990C-46CC-887A-A3DC601A686E.jpg

771EBF27-222F-41D3-95CA-A08390D4FE0F.jpg

Looking great! I really like the trellises, Im going to have to steal the idea for my beans :D

After seeing your oak shelf I couldnt get it out of my head

17115402316_fa67c3c811_z.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Ya I haven't used t5's in like 15 years so planning on a lot of trial and error. Yours is looking great though!

15 years! 15 years ago I was rockin a incandescent over my gouramis tank :lol:

Thanks man! Im still playing with the t5s some, but I think its a good starting point. but keep in mind, my LEDs are solely a blue supplement, so it might not translate to a full spectrum LED

Looking great! I really like the trellises, Im going to have to steal the idea for my beans :D

17115402316_fa67c3c811_z.jpg

I like how you hung your light....great idea!

NorthGaHillbilly

I like how you hung your light....great idea!

Thanks Dawg, I just cant get with the wire and a carabiner deal, I did realise the wire hangers kept the thing together, so i had to run some nuts down to keep it together. The extra washers in the back angle it away from out eyes, its directly infront of my chair in the living room.

Thanks Dawg, I just cant get with the wire and a carabiner deal, I did realise the wire hangers kept the thing together, so i had to run some nuts down to keep it together. The extra washers in the back angle it away from out eyes, its directly infront of my chair in the living room.

I think it looks cleaner with the rod....I'm not a fan of the standard wire ....looks kinda cheesy. I'll have to steal your angle / nut job on the light.

NorthGaHillbilly

I think it looks cleaner with the rod....I'm not a fan of the standard wire ....looks kinda cheesy. I'll have to steal your angle / nut job on the light.

Im planning on cutting down the bolts in the back, but was checking angles to make sure i wouldnt get blinded. I also had to cut the plastic off the plug, the stuff that protects it from getting bent alot right where the wire meets the plug. If we wernt looking at moving in a few months Id have run the wire down inside the wall, but itll do.

Thanks! The trellises were stupid easy. Each is made of three 5/8"x6" 6' cedar dog ear planks, $2.25 each at HD. I trimmed the dog ear part of the plank, and cut one exactly in half to make the short sides. Used pocket hole jig to join (of course...LOVE THAN THING), and attached the pig wire behind with pneumatic staple gun...excess wire trimmed with wire cutter. Took about 1-20 mins each, total cost of less than $10 per unit.

I hope the climbing roses go nuts on those things...

Your shelf to hold the light is bangin'!

jedimasterben

The extra washers in the back angle it away from out eyes, its directly infront of my chair in the living room.

Yeah, and those blue LEDs will really slap your eyes silly lol. It may not do too much since you'd have to apply it directly to the unit itself, but you can try a peel and stick light diffuser so it doesn't hit your eyes so much. My tank is in my computer room and I have a recliner in there for watching movies and such but if I actually lean back in it I would get blinded, even when the LEDs were dimmed down. I put a diffuser panel on the splash shield, and while it is still bright, it isn't piercing :)

NorthGaHillbilly

Yeah, and those blue LEDs will really slap your eyes silly lol. It may not do too much since you'd have to apply it directly to the unit itself, but you can try a peel and stick light diffuser so it doesn't hit your eyes so much. My tank is in my computer room and I have a recliner in there for watching movies and such but if I actually lean back in it I would get blinded, even when the LEDs were dimmed down. I put a diffuser panel on the splash shield, and while it is still bright, it isn't piercing :)

Its actually not too bad with the angle, but spillage is insane. But she didn't complain last night, so I think were in the clear.

I am going to have to make an ATO this week, it's not loosing alot of water daily, but in a one gallon rear chamber it adds up

Thanks! The trellises were stupid easy. Each is made of three 5/8"x6" 6' cedar dog ear planks, $2.25 each at HD. I trimmed the dog ear part of the plank, and cut one exactly in half to make the short sides. Used pocket hole jig to join (of course...LOVE THAN THING), and attached the pig wire behind with pneumatic staple gun...excess wire trimmed with wire cutter. Took about 1-20 mins each, total cost of less than $10 per unit.

I hope the climbing roses go nuts on those things...

Your shelf to hold the light is bangin'!

Really a great idea, I was trying to think of how to run them, that'll work great

how's that walnut counter workin?

Really a great idea, I was trying to think of how to run them, that'll work great

how's that walnut counter workin?

Let me know how the trellises go. Cheap, easy, and a really nice result for me. Now if I can just get the roses going in such hard clay soil...

Walnut butcher block is still awesome. Went to a oil-based finish rather than the thicker paste-like stuff. For some reason, the grain kept raising up and I have to re-sand and reseal every couple of weeks. The oil seems to be much better, and I only hit it with some med steel wool and add a little oil here and there. LOVE the look, now seeing it on some of the HGTV shows. Bishes are copying us!

Sk8n Reefer

Starboard raises its head again on my thread- any chance to get a closeup of it in your tank? Are you BB or Starboard?

NorthGaHillbilly

So these space age lights aversion I threw over the tank scorched some lps, even at ~25%. That ain't Ballin

Starboard raises its head again on my thread- any chance to get a closeup of it in your tank? Are you BB or Starboard?

still just glass, underside painted black. When I get the time to change over to this newer tank tho it'll be black starboard. I say try it out man, if you don't like it a month into the new 50 gal, just add some sand over top of the HDPE

Archived