Top Shelf Aquatics

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Thank you so much everyone. It really means alot. All of you are really a great group of folks. Eveyone is doing as well as can be expected, hopefully things fall in place for Saturday.

NorthGaHillbilly

Last night my Grandpa, Kenneth Mavity, went on home after 92 years on the planet. He was a shining example of what we all can achieve with persistence, imagination, and a unwavering love for everyone we meet along the way.
His journey took him around the world, from Europe late in WWII, Mexico during his time with the SBC and then full-circle back to Lafayette, GA as a teacher and pastor.
He spent over 65 years with my grandma, Margaret Porter Mavity, and raised 4 strong, successful and loving women, including my Momma.
He was a constant inspiration throughout my life, never lecturing, but rather showing me what he valued through his actions.
He always stressed the importance of free thinking, as well as the gratification that comes from creating something with my own hands, something I am proud to do every day.
Its a struggle to keep from bemoaning my loss, but his works will continue to impact the lives of so many, and I am honored to have had such a personal relationship with such a great man.

Is the funeral up here in Cincinnati? Make sure the military shows up to play taps, and with a real bugle not a recording. We're losing the generation that saved the world.

Is the funeral up here in Cincinnati? Make sure the military shows up to play taps, and with a real bugle not a recording. We're losing the generation that saved the world.

Absolutely this. They came to my father in laws funeral and it was an amazing honor of his service in the Korean War.

Sorry for your loss buddy. My wishes for you and yours.

How's everything otherwise? Looks like the lady has gotten into the hobby?

Last night my Grandpa, Kenneth Mavity, went on home after 92 years on the planet. He was a shining example of what we all can achieve with persistence, imagination, and a unwavering love for everyone we meet along the way.

His journey took him around the world, from Europe late in WWII, Mexico during his time with the SBC and then full-circle back to Lafayette, GA as a teacher and pastor.

He spent over 65 years with my grandma, Margaret Porter Mavity, and raised 4 strong, successful and loving women, including my Momma.

He was a constant inspiration throughout my life, never lecturing, but rather showing me what he valued through his actions.

He always stressed the importance of free thinking, as well as the gratification that comes from creating something with my own hands, something I am proud to do every day.

Its a struggle to keep from bemoaning my loss, but his works will continue to impact the lives of so many, and I am honored to have had such a personal relationship with such a great man.

Sorry for your loss Greg. Very nice post about him buddy.
NorthGaHillbilly

They were in NW Georgia, Brees folks are from up in Cinci. We did get the military up there, it was really great, two young guys came in dress uniform, and taps was played for real. He was proud of his service, I never heard much about it, Counter Intelligence Corps, but from what I understand he was in a "singing and dancing crew" going through Germany, with other motives, but I never got more.

Absolutely this. They came to my father in laws funeral and it was an amazing honor of his service in the Korean War.

It was great, really was a great tribute.

Sorry for your loss buddy. My wishes for you and yours.

How's everything otherwise? Looks like the lady has gotten into the hobby?

Thanks man, I appreciate ya. Things are good, tanks really in cruise control gatta change the RO membranes this week, but just letting things grow as I mess with the garden and work on rebuilding the old truck my grandpa gave me.

Sorry for your loss Greg. Very nice post about him buddy.

Thanks Brad, I really mean it. It a bitch to try and sum up someones life like that, and I didnt get anything near all of it, but he was a very special man.

You know how they say, when it rains it pours, well I spent this evenin at a memorial service for my cousin Lee Stowers. He died of brain cancer at 50. He grew up with my Daddy, 1 year younger. I cant remember a time I ever saw him without a smile on his face, even when at my Brothers engagement party, deep into another round of cemo and unable to eat a bite, but he was there, laughing and smiling.

NorthGaHillbilly

Shits been crazy the last week, but got some pics of the tank today, via cell but better than nothing. Forgive the patches of green algae, poor tank has been neglected something awful.

Nem lookin sexy

17706866095_141a547f50_c.jpg

Good growth on the lepto and lepestraia

17680521656_b142cf78ff_c.jpg

Finally getting some green in this favia colony

17704335262_dd01a28369_c.jpg

Chalice growth

4-20

16597554873_e86aa82e04_c.jpg

5-15

17680504906_f81ef37de2_c.jpg

And the bad news, awesome rainbow welso, came in with alittle recession, but nothing too bad, but fast forward a month and it just wouldnt quit

17704343082_ba6393d5f0_z.jpg

Shits been crazy the last week, but got some pics of the tank today, via cell but better than nothing. Forgive the patches of green algae, poor tank has been neglected something awful.

Nem lookin sexy

17706866095_141a547f50_c.jpg

Good growth on the lepto and lepestraia

17680521656_b142cf78ff_c.jpg

Finally getting some green in this favia colony

17704335262_dd01a28369_c.jpg

Chalice growth

4-20

16597554873_e86aa82e04_c.jpg

5-15

17680504906_f81ef37de2_c.jpg

And the bad news, awesome rainbow welso, came in with alittle recession, but nothing too bad, but fast forward a month and it just wouldnt quit

17704343082_ba6393d5f0_z.jpg

The chalice looks good man really nice piece. As does the nem. Your clowns finally took to it I think I saw in the "anemone showoff thread"

NorthGaHillbilly

The chalice looks good man really nice piece. As does the nem. Your clowns finally took to it I think I saw in the "anemone showoff thread"

Thanks broski, half of that chalice is mine, hoping it grows out alittle to be able to split it and both get all the colors. Its funny, the tank raised davinci went to it in a few days, and now the clowns are constantly flirting

Thanks broski, half of that chalice is mine, hoping it grows out alittle to be able to split it and both get all the colors. Its funny, the tank raised davinci went to it in a few days, and now the clowns are constantly flirting

Niiiiiiiice. Something endlessly fascinating about clowns and anemones.

Great stuff!

Building a lean-to shed for the side of the house. Using 2x2 cedar to frame the walls, and 1/2" X 5" fencing for the siding.

Am ever in your debt for introducing me to the Kreg jig. I would stable two papers together with it if they made short enough pocket screws.

E

NorthGaHillbilly

Great stuff!

Building a lean-to shed for the side of the house. Using 2x2 cedar to frame the walls, and 1/2" X 5" fencing for the siding.

Am ever in your debt for introducing me to the Kreg jig. I would stable two papers together with it if they made short enough pocket screws.

E

Cedar.. you sir, are a boss. Not sure if you have any local sawmills, but look into it, locally I get 3/4"x6" lumber we use for siding from a little mom and pop mill, its relatively raw, for ~1/3 of HD price.

LOL, im tellin ya, its really a must have IMO, opens up whats possible in a real way. If you had to, you could built most anything furniture wise with a kreg jig, skill saw and a router.

reefernanoman

My Grandpa went on home tonight

Kenneth Mavity

8-10-1923 to 5-5-2015

Sorry for your loss.

NorthGaHillbilly

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you, it was rough in someways, but hes not locked up in a failing body and mind anymore, and thats a true blessing

I was just catching up on threads, very sorry to hear about your loss man. I hope you and the family are doing ok.

reefernanoman

Thank you, it was rough in someways, but hes not locked up in a failing body and mind anymore, and thats a true blessing

Yeah, the same thing happened to my poor grandma in 2004. She had a heart attack, then kidney failure, then ..... Suffered for 6 months until she passed on. It was so hard to see her go downhill slowly. And she was only like 68. My grandpa, almost the same thing(suffering for a few months, then died at around 70). :(

Cedar.. you sir, are a boss. Not sure if you have any local sawmills, but look into it, locally I get 3/4"x6" lumber we use for siding from a little mom and pop mill, its relatively raw, for ~1/3 of HD price.

LOL, im tellin ya, its really a must have IMO, opens up whats possible in a real way. If you had to, you could built most anything furniture wise with a kreg jig, skill saw and a router.

Actually the wife is a boss...I was gonna make it out of pine like the plans said. However, it is a nice touch, will weather well, smells great, and will help with the bugs. Going to get some rusted corrugated metal sheeting from the local architectural salvage joint, smooth it down, and wax it to keep the patina.

Working on more rough carpentry stuff and starting to think about a little more finished woodworking things like indoor furniture...

NorthGaHillbilly

Yeah, the same thing happened to my poor grandma in 2004. She had a heart attack, then kidney failure, then ..... Suffered for 6 months until she passed on. It was so hard to see her go downhill slowly. And she was only like 68. My grandpa, almost the same thing(suffering for a few months, then died at around 70). :(

Grandpa use to say, "gettin old aint for wimps", and theres alot more truth to that than I use to know. Hate to hear about your grandparents, I hope yall are doin alright.

Actually the wife is a boss...I was gonna make it out of pine like the plans said. However, it is a nice touch, will weather well, smells great, and will help with the bugs. Going to get some rusted corrugated metal sheeting from the local architectural salvage joint, smooth it down, and wax it to keep the patina.

Working on more rough carpentry stuff and starting to think about a little more finished woodworking things like indoor furniture...

LOL, that sounds familiar. Sounds like your well on your way to another addiction hobby.

LOL, that sounds familiar. Sounds like your well on your way to another addiction hobby.

Its the perfect hooby...I make nice, useful things for the wife and she supports my tool and lumber habit.

NorthGaHillbilly

Its the perfect hooby...I make nice, useful things for the wife and she supports my tool and lumber habi

Its great to have the tools too, you or a friend will always need _____. And if properly maintained a quality tool will run for decades

reefernanoman

Grandpa use to say, "gettin old aint for wimps", and theres alot more truth to that than I use to know. Hate to hear about your grandparents, I hope yall are doin alright.

Those were some tough moments in our lives for sure, but it was a long time ago, so the healing process has gone really well. Now my daughter is almost 8, so she and my wife have filled that space in my heart(both of them didn't even exist in my world during that time). Thanks. BTW, on a side note, your tank is looking very nice as usual.

NorthGaHillbilly

Those were some tough moments in our lives for sure, but it was a long time ago, so the healing process has gone really well. Now my daughter is almost 8, so she and my wife have filled that space in my heart(both of them didn't even exist in my world during that time). Thanks. BTW, on a side note, your tank is looking very nice as usual.

That great to hear, a growing family is a great thing.

I appreciate the kind words, I need to get back on the pulse of the tank, havent paid it much attention, but most things look great, a few things look rough. WC this weekend and change RO filters

Archived