Pod Your Reef

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

Yea I'd say so sir. I think I'm going to order the aqua buddy RODI system and some red sea coral pro salt to start making my own saltwater.

one of the best investments youll make IMO. Ive heard good things about the aqua buddy, I think Laws uses one, Do be careful with the RSCP salt, runs really high alk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of the best investments youll make IMO. Ive heard good things about the aqua buddy, I think Laws uses one, Do be careful with the RSCP salt, runs really high alk

What kind of salt do you use? I've heard it runs high sometimes and I don't check parameters often lol. I was thinking reef crystals cause my lfs has it incase I would need to buy some quickly

NorthGaHillbilly

What kind of salt do you use? I've heard it runs high sometimes and I don't check parameters often lol. I was thinking reef crystals cause my lfs has it incase I would need to buy some quickly

I use to use reef crystals, but its alk would vary DRASTICALLY from batch to batch, my last one was over 12 :o Im using Instant Ocean now, alk around 9, and ca brought up with kalk (or thats the theory, havent tested ca in a month or two)

jedimasterben

I use to use reef crystals, but its alk would vary DRASTICALLY from batch to batch, my last one was over 12 :o Im using Instant Ocean now, alk around 9, and ca brought up with kalk

+1

If regular IO is good enough for some big public aquariums and their fancy giant coral colonies and breeding projects, its good enough for me :D

Good deal man,that's the orange bucket stuff right? I use Kent nano reef a&b and it seems to keep everything happy usually 15 drops of each during moonlights.

+1

If regular IO is good enough for some big public aquariums and their fancy giant coral colonies and breeding projects, its good enough for me :D

This is true I was listening to a pod cast about the development of sea salt for aquaria and it mentioned it by name.
NorthGaHillbilly

Good deal man,that's the orange bucket stuff right? I use Kent nano reef a&b and it seems to keep everything happy usually 15 drops of each during moonlights.

This is true I was listening to a pod cast about the development of sea salt for aquaria and it mentioned it by name.

yea its got the orange, try and get it by the box, its 200 gal worth I think, and comes in 50g bags

Any chance you can set up a mixing station? I know yall are in a town house, but i REALLY like having mine setup.

+1

without a doubt

jedimasterben

yea its got the orange, try and get it by the box, its 200 gal worth I think, and comes in 50g bags

Well, Reef Crystals is the orange, regular IO is purple :)

And it sucks because their mixing numbers and amounts don't get to 'reef' salinity. The standard 1/2 cup per gallon of water gives only ~27ppt salinity instead of 35ppt, which takes three cups per five gallons. This means the 200g box actually only gets ~166g. Still a damn good deal, though, since most salt mixes that give the same amount of end water cost double (or more!)

Any chance you can set up a mixing station? I know yall are in a town house, but i REALLY like having mine setup.

without a doubt

Yea I have a garage with a 65 gallon salt mixing tub and space under our steps my roommate is a plumber and there's lines under the house he can work the unit into if I choose too. It's all concrete there so would be good. Or the desk the tank is on even really. Can I store my Rodi for a good while? I was gonna store it in the garage in the salt mixing tub and mix the saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket.
NorthGaHillbilly

Well, Reef Crystals is the orange, regular IO is purple :)

And it sucks because their mixing numbers and amounts don't get to 'reef' salinity. The standard 1/2 cup per gallon of water gives only ~27ppt salinity instead of 35ppt, which takes three cups per five gallons. This means the 200g box actually only gets ~166g. Still a damn good deal, though, since most salt mixes that give the same amount of end water cost double (or more!)

my bad, good call. I never noticed the salt reccomendation, I just start dumping and work it up over a few hours, but Im only mixing water once a month or so

Yea I have a garage with a 65 gallon salt mixing tub and space under our steps my roommate is a plumber and there's lines under the house he can work the unit into if I choose too. It's all concrete there so would be good. Or the desk the tank is on even really. Can I store my Rodi for a good while? I was gonna store it in the garage in the salt mixing tub and mix the saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket.

I went with a 30 gal for ro and a 20 for SW, its nice having some SW on tap at all times, I store my RO till it runs out, every 3 weeks or so, and the salt till I use it up, I know people debate on if its a good or bad thing, but ive never had any problems.

16352299970_8e2ac60868_c.jpg

my bad, good call. I never noticed the salt reccomendation, I just start dumping and work it up over a few hours, but Im only mixing water once a month or so

I went with a 30 gal for ro and a 20 for SW, its nice having some SW on tap at all times, I store my RO till it runs out, every 3 weeks or so, and the salt till I use it up, I know people debate on if its a good or bad thing, but ive never had any problems.

Good deal my friend thanks for the input. The townhouse has a few work constraints for stuff for sure but we have alot of space suprisingly. I think it's like 1980 sq.ft

NorthGaHillbilly

Good deal my friend thanks for the input. The townhouse has a few work constraints for stuff for sure but we have alot of space suprisingly. I think it's like 1980 sq.ft

:o When I think town house I think >1200, good deal

:o When I think town house I think >1200, good deal

Yea no doubt lol. It has 3 bedrooms,2.5 bathes a living room, a dining room,family room and garage. And no home owners association :D

NorthGaHillbilly

Yea no doubt lol. It has 3 bedrooms,2.5 bathes a living room, a dining room,family room and garage. And no home owners association :D

Yea what color i choose to paint my house is not anyone else's concern nor is the breeds of dog I own.

Although my house has brick veneer so not really gonna paint it lol

NorthGaHillbilly

Yea what color i choose to paint my house is not anyone else's concern nor is the breeds of dog I own.

Although my house has brick veneer so not really gonna paint it lol

completely agree, I grew up not seeing a neighbour, my dad's blacksmith shop, garden and our dogs probably wouldnt make the cut had we had an overloard dictating how we used our land.

Shameless page quote

I've been feeling pretty apathetic about the tank lately, today started out as a deep cleaning, and ended 4 hours later with a complete rescape, everything scrubbed down, and the sump completely vacuumed out.

Only have pictures under the blues, but once things clear out tomorrow I'll pull out the nikon and take some pretty pictures.

18164113653_956a22d2cb_c.jpg[

I got done at 4:30, and came in to look at the tank at 8:30 to see the nem had split between the then and now, been waiting for this to happen, glad it finally did

18784787665_c3671bea6c_c.jpg

And I've got to show this guy off

18162656823_9df514af08_c.jpg

Again the tank looks baddasssss

Yea we had a broken down car in our yard and old tractors at dads... but we were suburban red neckery cause it was audi a6 lol

NorthGaHillbilly

Heres a "lucky charm lepto", cant remember what big wig its from, but its go the best colors of any lepto ive ever seen, and is a good grower

18603472078_ac3693872e_z.jpg

Heres a "lucky charm lepto", cant remember what big wig its from, but its go the best colors of any lepto ive ever seen, and is a good grower

Now that is neat looking. I missed a week of updates, things are looking good.

I like the scape hillbilly, the tank looks great!

As to home owners asscosiations, sometimes they move in around you. We've lived in our 2 acre ranch home for 29 years. Then a developer bought the field across the street and all around. We have not had trouble but one neighbor who has lived in her farm house for 3 generations was told that she needed to tear down her shed, (" it wasn't in keeping with the neighborhood", he said). She is older, (close to 80) and he was bullying her. Fortunately her son stepped in and basically told the developer to pound salt. That was 3 years ago and the shed still stands!

As to home owners asscosiations, sometimes they move in around you. We've lived in our 2 acre ranch home for 29 years. Then a developer bought the field across the street and all around. We have not had trouble but one neighbor who has lived in her farm house for 3 generations was told that she needed to tear down her shed, (" it wasn't in keeping with the neighborhood", he said). She is older, (close to 80) and he was bullying her. Fortunately her son stepped in and basically told the developer to pound salt. That was 3 years ago and the shed still stands!

In order for one to develop in our neighborhood every home owner would need to agree to it,none of the neighbors like the idea thankfully.
NorthGaHillbilly

Now that is neat looking. I missed a week of updates, things are looking good.

Thanks Mark, Its really grown since I got it, one of the few things to really put on growth in the tank, so thats always nice. Looks like my big cleaning and WC set off a small bacterial bloom, happened last time I did a big cleaning and all, so hopefully it clears in a day or two and I can get some decent pictures

Its nice to hear someone sticking it to the major developers. I dont have any problem with someone wanting a HOA, and if you buy in a development that has one your agreeing to follow the rules, but in yalls case if they wanted to truly enforce their HOA rules, they should have coughed up enough to buy EVERY house around.

In order for one to develop in our neighborhood every home owner would need to agree to it,none of the neighbors like the idea thankfully.

Im really suprised that yall dont have one, how do maintenance issues work with the shared wall/walls?

There's a large steel fire plate between them so all our stuff is in our side we never hear noise from the neighbors.

Also my rodi unit comes this week!

Honestly the fact they didn't have one was what sold us on a townhouse. That and it was a spec hone someone backed out of so we got it alot cheaper and lots of upgrades for free. I gotta say I look love granite.

I really like this set up!

What do you do with your waste water? I rent now, so don't pay for water, but wonder what I'd do with it once I have a house and have to pay per gallon...

NorthGaHillbilly

I really like this set up!

What do you do with your waste water? I rent now, so don't pay for water, but wonder what I'd do with it once I have a house and have to pay per gallon...

Thank ya mam

I've got it running it to a barrel out back and use it to water the garden, but out here water is so cheap it's not an issue,we pay 3.50 for every 1000 gallons after the first two, and here atleast if you call and tell them what your using it for,and that your irrigating with the waste they don't make you pay the sewer fee, as it's not going down the drain

Archived