SaltCritters.com

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Cool- just get some distiller water and do a quick calibration every time - only takes a few seconds. I calibrate wipe clean then test with saltwater

107 on amazon... I think Im going to go ahead and order one. I was going to get the PM2 and salinity probe for my apex, but im looking at 250 there and it wouldnt really be useful for WCs. Thanks!

Now Ben comes in and throws a monkey wrench in things, any link to one Ben

Meh, I still wouldn't trust even a digital one that calibrates only with DI water. Floating glass hydrometer or bust. :D

jedimasterben

http://www.amazon.com/Tropic-Marin-ATM51002-Precision-Hydrometer/dp/B0002DK1YU#

To do the measurement, you'll want to either turn off all flow in the tank, let the water settle, and then place it in the tank and wait for it to stop bobbing, or get a graduated cylinder (I think 500mL is tall enough), fill it up, and then place it in it.

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/03/25/dupla-marin-hydrometer/

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/05/08/using-the-dupla-marin-hydrometer-as-a-hardware-salinity-reference/

I use a hydrometer for beer brewing, my problem with using it with the aquarium is having to take out such a large sample which then has to be replaced. Yes, you can pour it back in but best practice is not to.

NorthGaHillbilly

Humm, the logic is there, KISS to the max. Im going to hold off on the digital and see how Marlons is

Brrr. Mighty chilly in your town Greg.
why?

Oh ya, your down here arnt you?! yea its pretty miserable. Im going to go up to the LFS and BS for a while, outside of that, I dont plan on leaving the house

Decent refractometer calibrated with 35ppt dissolution is best. Even the BRS refractometer comes with a red piece of paper that says IGNORE INSTRUCTIONS AND ALWAYS CALIBRATE WITH 35 PPT SOLUTION. It also comes with a bottle.

Phone posting sucks!

NorthGaHillbilly

How come your ladies are alWays sleeping?!

LOL, shes a teacher and is only getting 5ish hours a nigh, so Saturday mornins/ afternoons she revamps. And the cat is just a lazy ass.

NorthGaHillbilly

Well that was unexpected. Buddy had a ORA premium snowflake that would attack his hand EVERY time he put his hand in the tank. I had laughed it off in the past, but he really had a thing against this fish after a few months. It was slightly larger than my current, and with all the aggression he might be quick to take to a nem. Fish looks healthy and was the only fish in the tank for months...

15790473534_8f3793fffd_n.jpg20150131_161808 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

107 on amazon... I think Im going to go ahead and order one. I was going to get the PM2 and salinity probe for my apex, but im looking at 250 there and it wouldnt really be useful for WCs. Thanks!

Now Ben comes in and throws a monkey wrench in things, any link to one Ben

I used a refractometer for yrs. but this seems easier so I tend to do it more often and seems to give accurate readings at least everything appears happy at my reading- 1.025 if nothing else it's consistant which is always a bonus. I dig it?

I have both, I use the Milwaukee Digital regularly. Every few months I will pull out the old BRS refractometer for a double check.

The Digital is spot on every time I have Doublechecked. I run at 1.025.

I would recommend the digital. Shane

NorthGaHillbilly

Tanks up to 1.025 over three days. Nothing seemed to mind the transition, so thats great.

I lost the clown, no clue why, body looked unmarked and with no signs of stress, Im in the process of setting up a 15 gal QT right now for future fish additions.

Speaking of fish, heres the tail spot, hes really settled in and is out and about almost all day. Tho I will say, you were right Mark, he has an unusual obsession with the PH, not cool blenny.

16429300372_39325002a1_c.jpg20150202_144351 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Tanks up to 1.025 over three days. Nothing seemed to mind the transition, so thats great.

I lost the clown, no clue why, body looked unmarked and with no signs of stress, Im in the process of setting up a 15 gal QT right now for future fish additions.

Speaking of fish, heres the tail spot, hes really settled in and is out and about almost all day. Tho I will say, you were right Mark, he has an unusual obsession with the PH, not cool blenny.

16429300372_39325002a1_c.jpg20150202_144351 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

obsession with PH? What is PH besides the parameter?
NorthGaHillbilly

Yea, little weird-o is all about the wp10, was sitting inside of it before i started it back up after the WC today, and then was doing his best go get up around it afterwards.

I ordered the spectrapure RO cartridge kit from MD, along with some carbon. I have some carbon I really like, but its so small is keeps clogging up in the reactor, so im going to try something else.

Powerhead, blennies love to jump in them when they stop. :)

So far mine has stayed away from the powerhead... But I always get nervous with my little tailspot!

Archived