ReefCleaners.org

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

Drilled a hole in the Brute. Man.

So what do you use for a shutoff? I don't trust a shutoff on the output not to create enough pressure to blow up everything.

Ive got an auto shut off valve on the RO, and then the float valve. not that that will completely save me from trouble I know. Im only running the RO system once a week or so, and the valve should only have pressure on it for a few hours at most. I am going to look into setting up a solenoid valve and a float switch before too long

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha funny there are some quirky clownfish out there. I'm really considering looking into one of these SPLPS (my palindrome abbreviation for single-polyp LPS), are there any general care requirements? I'd take anything from your experience, it looks like these guys are doing very well. ;)

NorthGaHillbilly

Haha funny there are some quirky clownfish out there. I'm really considering looking into one of these SPLPS (my palindrome abbreviation for single-polyp LPS), are there any general care requirements? I'd take anything from your experience, it looks like these guys are doing very well. ;)

SPLPS... your on to something with that one

The meats and cynaria are pretty easy, scolys are indestructable IME. Scolys can me NASTY tho, so make sure to give em some space.

I make sure to feed the meats and cynaria pretty often. After several months of heavy feeding they seem to slack off on how much they will eat, but coloration has improved very noticeably. Start them in lower light, but they will adapt to higher light with time. Make sure to post pics of whatever you get, There not as popular as I feel they aught to be, cant frag em, take up alot of restate and cost alot, but there really cool coral

The meats and cynaria are pretty easy, scolys are indestructable IME. Scolys can me NASTY tho, so make sure to give em some space.

I make sure to feed the meats and cynaria pretty often. After several months of heavy feeding they seem to slack off on how much they will eat, but coloration has improved very noticeably. Start them in lower light, but they will adapt to higher light with time. Make sure to post pics of whatever you get, There not as popular as I feel they aught to be, cant frag em, take up alot of restate and cost alot, but there really cool coral

I'm going to start spreading around SPLPS to describe these underappreciated, too-super-cool giant single polyp corals.

Thanks for the advice! Not sure where but I think I heard before that Scolymia would eat gummy bears, so I get the feeling they're hardy and eat anything. Hopefully we can find a way to propogate them quickly so that way we reduce strain on the environment and strain on the budget. I'll work on that someday

Cynarina are stunning! Personally I am glad they aren't more popular or they might be prohibitively expensive...

NorthGaHillbilly

Yo, sent you a PM

Yo, I hit you back

Cynarina are stunning! Personally I am glad they aren't more popular or they might be prohibitively expensive...

They are the only ones that arnt very expensive, tho finding one that isnt green or red it tough. Id like to find a more interesting one eventaully

Heres a question, So I know you need to bleed off the first few minutes of RO production till the TDS get down to 0. I plumbed in a float valve, and then put a t with a valve on both outputs, the one to the waste bucket and into the Brute storage container. So I can divert it into the waste bucket till im getting 0 TDS.

15885684683_078fa77f0b_z.jpg20150211_194709 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Does this seem like a decent solution or is there something Im missing that is common knowledge?

jedimasterben

If that line is after the DI resin, then it will 0TDS no matter how long you run it (unless your DI resin is exhausted). You want to run a line from your RO output (before the DI) to the new bucket.

NorthGaHillbilly

If that line is after the DI resin, then it will 0TDS no matter how long you run it (unless your DI resin is exhausted). You want to run a line from your RO output (before the DI) to the new bucket.

Ahh, I got ya. So splice in between the RO and DI. My hand held has been giving 0 after DI consistently, but I was bleeding it off till the inline was showing 0 before the DI.

Almost forgot, I found the exact filter combo you suggested on MD last week, so when these need replacing Ill be switching to two DIs, with the silica buster, and the .5 micron sediment filer and carbon

jedimasterben

Ahh, I got ya. So splice in between the RO and DI. My hand held has been giving 0 after DI consistently, but I was bleeding it off till the inline was showing 0 before the DI.

Yep, all you're doing now is tossing out good DI water :)

Found a way to get boobies and my tank in the same view. There's a terrible show called Double Divas about a lingerie store in ATL and my (makebelieve) GF is addicted to it.

8E876876-F602-40F7-A779-65403A288F38.jpg

No incognito pages for me

Found a way to get boobies and my tank in the same view. There's a terrible show called Double Divas about a lingerie store in ATL and my (makebelieve) GF is addicted to it.

I thought that was about a bunch of hefty chicks tho.... Just put on a good chick (on chick) flick instead, waaaaaaaaaay better lol

NorthGaHillbilly

Touche' :D

Snapped a few quick pics now that I have the decent camera back. I feel like I can really get some decent ones after messing around with settings earlier, but were doing Vday today, so not much tank time, or Ill get hollered at.

FTS (lights just came on so a few things are not opened up completely)

16353503799_d89137c12b_c.jpgDSC_0031 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Quick shot of the blenny

16352309920_7d539d5dd4_c.jpgDSC_0032 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

And the finished RO setup, Yes its unreal tall, but Ive got plans for below the RO bucket

16352299970_8e2ac60868_c.jpgDSC_0046 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

NorthGaHillbilly

Lol, thanks guys, things have been really coloring up well after getting salinity in check, expecially the cynaria. It's also helped juat having 4 bulbs running for pictures, saves from being washed out in blue

Looking good. Whats going below the ro barrel?

I've been needing some shelves so I'm going to put those under there, as well as long term tank related stuff.

NorthGaHillbilly

Looks awesome NGH!!!!! Where did you get that giant pink and purple meat coral???? :wub:

ScreenShot2015-02-15at114433AM_zps5ca9ca

Thank ya mam :blush:

I got it here locally in ATL, the meat scene, if you will, is really hot here lately. My friend, owns a LFS down the road, is shipping them out every few weeks.

Nice FTS, colors look terrific. Looking back for your bulb combo ...

Still (4 Blue+ 1 Purple+ 1 Gisselman True Actinic) ??

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Ive replaced the giesslman with an ATI actinic, but for the pics it was three B+ and the Purple+.

YEAH.

What pump are you using for the water mixing station? I think I'll start mine in a couple weeks.

The mixing station pump is the return that came with Lawn's CAD turd, I mean tank. :D

So its a ~500 GPH return pump, and then a 150 watt Jager. Its staying in the low 70s in the brute, so only a few degrees to bump before a WC

NorthGaHillbilly

Looking to get my alk up to 9, it was down in the high 6s 10 days ago :o

I finally just hit reset and started tracking it with a known amount of kalk in the top off. it has slowly risen to 8.4 with a gain of .2 per day with a steady 3/4 of a gallon per day. Im going to let it get up to 9, then empty out the top off bucket and see what my consumption is over two days, then make decisions from there.

But things are looking great as of now. My hollywood stunner put of sweepers for the first time in months, and the acros were showing really good PE last night. So all is well here in GA, as long as I dont loose power from this shitty weather that is coming in as I type.

Oh yea, and Ive got zoa pox on those hornets... that aint ballin.

Thank ya mam :blush:

I got it here locally in ATL, the meat scene, if you will, is really hot here lately. My friend, owns a LFS down the road, is shipping them out every few weeks.

How much would one like yours sell for?
NorthGaHillbilly

How much would one like yours sell for?

Sorry Gena, I completely missed your post. I personally think around 200 is fair as its a pretty common color, but ive seen them sell for much higher.

I dont know what the difference is between now and when I last tried shooting with this camera, but I'm having NO problem getting pretty awesome shots.

Shot under a B+ and a True Actinic

15964760183_a51a1853ed_c.jpg

16397309778_c9d0f75b68_c.jpg

Im not sure what is going on with my nem, it seems very healthy, hasent moved an inch, gets fed regularly, but the center has gotten pale while the tentacles are getting brighter... who knows

15964754073_e410532593_c.jpg

16397501820_8790b30f02_c.jpg

Archived