ReefCleaners.org

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

Sent PM...

Got a suggestion for a good router/table combo for me before I get started? I like DeWalt tools but I hear their table sucks...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Sent PM...

Got a suggestion for a good router/table combo for me before I get started? I like DeWalt tools but I hear their table sucks...

I hit you back on the PM... but for pubic consumption Ill say this... Porter Cable

I hit you back on the PM... but for pubic consumption Ill say this... Porter Cable

Yep...thx Greg. The suggestion for the local Clist router table was very thoughtful.

In summary...

Dewalt = drills and mitre saws

Porter cable = routers and nail guns

NorthGaHillbilly

Your names Greg?

It is indeed

Here's a weird question for yall, of the 5 fish in the tank, 4 of them are usually within 5 or 6 inches of eachother. I'm talkin, the clown, wrasse and goby are ALWAYS wi th in inches of eachother.

It dosent seem to have anything to do with feeding, there just all friends it seems. Kinda weird

jedimasterben

My fish tend to all hang out together. Dwarf angel, two tangs, rabbit, trigger, molly, two damsels. The others are usually all hidey, and the clown is just all whatevs, i gots my anemone.

Wow- tanks looking great man- you gotta post pics more often- is that a Birdsnest or stylo sps I see in 3rd from the bottom pic? Lotta nice pieces in there? that FTS is sweet too! Did you paint the outside of your bottom to make it black?

NorthGaHillbilly

Wow- tanks looking great man- you gotta post pics more often- is that a Birdsnest or stylo sps I see in 3rd from the bottom pic? Lotta nice pieces in there that FTS is sweet too! Did you paint the outside of your bottom to make it black?

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Ive been kinda bored with things lately, getting the salinity issue fixed slowly via top off so I hope to see some growth happen again.

Thats a birdsnest, I got a big colony for $25, made a few nice frags and gave the rest away.

I did just that, painted the bottom of the tank. Im really contemplating star board lately, but well see what happens

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Ive been kinda bored with things lately, getting the salinity issue fixed slowly via top off so I hope to see some growth happen again.

Thats a birdsnest, I got a big colony for $25, made a few nice frags and gave the rest away.

I did just that, painted the bottom of the tank. Im really contemplating star board lately, but well see what happens

Cool- I think the bottom looks awesome- the black makes everything pop and gives good dimension to the pics. Good luck with the bird- once it gets settled it'll take off. What will the star board do- place that under the tank for the same affect?

NorthGaHillbilly

Cool- I think the bottom looks awesome- the black makes everything pop and gives good dimension to the pics. Good luck with the bird- once it gets settled it'll take off. What will the star board do- place that under the tank for the same affect?

Itd go in the tank, just a faux sandbed. I was really bumming on things, but I changed up which bulbs were where, and have a MUCH brighter look during the day, and alot more pop in the evenings now, so I dont know that ill end up changing anything. (I was thinking that the white would make things look better during the day)

Im hoping that the low salinity is my problem, everything looks great, but my growth has just stalled out.

Itd go in the tank, just a faux sandbed. I was really bumming on things, but I changed up which bulbs were where, and have a MUCH brighter look during the day, and alot more pop in the evenings now, so I dont know that ill end up changing anything. (I was thinking that the white would make things look better during the day)

Im hoping that the low salinity is my problem, everything looks great, but my growth has just stalled out.

Really - in the tank- I am clueless about that- best of both worlds- semi bb and easier to keep clean than sand- hmmm I need to look into this more. Any tanks on here with that setup. Ya stable salinity should really help with growth and colors

NorthGaHillbilly

Really - in the tank- I am clueless about that- best of both worlds- semi bb and easier to keep clean than sand- hmmm I need to look into this more. Any tanks on here with that setup. Ya stable salinity should really help with growth and colors

Lawn's running it, Ben is as well. Its a pretty slick way to get high flow, or a really clean tank, and look better than completely BB. I know your looking at a tank upgrade, have you checked out a 93 cube? I saw a marine land rimless 93 cube, and it got me thinkin. looking back I still wish I had of just bit the bullet and spent the money when I was setting everything up.

NorthGaHillbilly

Tank is looking good. Hope the salinity fix kicks off a growth spurt

I really appreciate it. Fingers crossed, at some point my refractometer got wonky and my tanks been running at 1.023 for atleast 1.5 months if the stall in growth is any indicator. Ive been kicking around the idea of a salinity module on the apex, its looking like a better idea lately.

Lawn's running it, Ben is as well. Its a pretty slick way to get high flow, or a really clean tank, and look better than completely BB. I know your looking at a tank upgrade, have you checked out a 93 cube? I saw a marine land rimless 93 cube, and it got me thinkin. looking back I still wish I had of just bit the bullet and spent the money when I was setting everything up.

Cool thanks- I'll have to look through their threads and hit them up. Ya my wife went with me to our lfs last weekend and they have a marineland 93 cube- freaked her out - I think the depth more than anything. I told her that's what I am considering - she migrated to the IM 40 cube and said - this is cute...........gonna work on that alittle more? I am mean the lighting could be basically the same for the tanks- why not go bigger- I am really liking the LED/ T5 combos for sure.

I really appreciate it. Fingers crossed, at some point my refractometer got wonky and my tanks been running at 1.023 for atleast 1.5 months if the stall in growth is any indicator. Ive been kicking around the idea of a salinity module on this the apex, its looking like a better idea lately.

I'm supposed to be getting calibration fluid tomorrow bc I mixed up 15 gallons to 1.025 according to my bucket of Salinity and my refractometer said 1.040 so I may be running really low. Which would explain my low alk and cal

NorthGaHillbilly

I'm supposed to be getting calibration fluid tomorrow bc I mixed up 15 gallons to 1.025 according to my bucket of Salinity and my refractometer said 1.040 so I may be running really low. Which would explain my low alk and cal

Ive been all over with salinity in the last year, I have been trying to get my hands on proper calibration fluid locally, but no luck. What type did you end up getting?

Ive been all over with salinity in the last year, I have been trying to get my hands on proper calibration fluid locally, but no luck. What type did you end up getting?

American marine. Got mine from Amazingon, but marine depot sells it too. My LFS have nothing for drygoods, i doubt theres a bottle for sale in the whole state

Yep, my refractometer was a little off. Time to bring the SG up

DCFD090E-663D-4B31-AEC3-D9BBF34A2B27.jpg

Top tip for you aquarists out there. Buy calibration fluid. Then replace it frequently bc it can evaporate an give bad readings as well.

NorthGaHillbilly

Ive got mine coming on Friday, going to make sure im spot on before I adjust, as the RO method might or might not be trustworthy.

Ive got mine coming on Friday, going to make sure im spot on before I adjust, as the RO method might or might not be trustworthy.

I've been using distilled water from the get go to calibrate my "Marine depot" refractometer per their instructions.

My water tests to 1.025 consistantly after i calibrate but this thread has me wondering also because i too experience slow coral growth.

What do you guys think about Dist or RO vs a quality calibration fluid despite what MD says?

Alk 10

Ca 425

Mg 1350

PH 7.7

IO RC salt

17.1 gal tank without dosing

NorthGaHillbilly

I've been using distilled water from the get go to calibrate my "Marine depot" refractometer per their instructions.

My water tests to 1.025 consistantly after i calibrate but this thread has me wondering also because i too experience slow coral growth.

What do you guys think about Dist or RO vs a quality calibration fluid despite what MD says?

Alk 10

Ca 425

Mg 1350

PH 7.7

IO RC salt

I calibrated mine with RO, then checked it with distilled, both of those matched up, and indicated it had been off for some time. Ill report back friday, as Im really wonderig whatll ill find out.

Alk 10

Ca 425

Mg 1350

PH 7.7

IO RC salt

I have been calibrating mine with RO for years. Every now and then someone post up a study why that is wrong. My salinity swings all the time from a empty RODI jug :lol:

Archived