Cultivated Reef

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

Im actually using their brand currently. It seems to work well so I dont see changing.

Great. I ordered some off amazon last night. Should be here tomorrow. I think you sent me a nice article on dosing kalk a while ago. I'll have to see if I can find it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shit man, I really hate to hear that. Hope your wife is doing alright. I'll check the PM in a few min, gpod to hear about the lumber, excited to see what you come up with

Thx bro...wife and mother in law doing as well as an be expected. There were no surprises and it was just a matter of when.

Will start working on the stand in a week or so...will keep you in the loop and post pics on my all-but-dead IM 16 build thread.

NorthGaHillbilly

Great. I ordered some off amazon last night. Should be here tomorrow. I think you sent me a nice article on dosing kalk a while ago. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Ill see if I can find it, I think I remember that, either way ill take credit :D

Biggest thing Ive found with it is just take into account that its "unbalanced", its near impossible to overdose the Ca, as itll precipitate out, it does have a very high ph and can cause swings, but biggest thing I found was I ended up taking my Ca WAY too high, and without a high enough mag youll end up with LOW alk.

Sorry to hear that man :( guess that is big Jim?

Thanks Lawn. Yep, Big Jim. He was an incredibly interesting guy. Korean War Vet, pilot, small business owner. Guy went EVERYWHERE with the Navy and Merchant Marines. It was his time, glad he is no longer suffering.

Ill see if I can find it, I think I remember that, either way ill take credit :D

Biggest thing Ive found with it is just take into account that its "unbalanced", its near impossible to overdose the Ca, as itll precipitate out, it does have a very high ph and can cause swings, but biggest thing I found was I ended up taking my Ca WAY too high, and without a high enough mag youll end up with LOW alk.

Haha I found it and liked it. Check your notifications.

So did you do a transition period with the dosing? Like start out with very little then ramp up every week?

How did the lps react? I think I read somewhere that it might help with algae. Is that true?

NorthGaHillbilly

Haha I found it and liked it. Check your notifications.

So did you do a transition period with the dosing? Like start out with very little then ramp up every week?

How did the lps react? I think I read somewhere that it might help with algae. Is that true?

I kind of did a restart on the kalk dosing when I switched the tank over. With so much new water my levels were spot on, so I started with 1/4 of a tsp per gallon, then upped it to 1/2 a week l later after seeing my ca level drop. There were so many changes around that time its hard to say what did it, but everything really seems to be doing great. I think the fact my alk is staying spot on with the .5 tsp/g and alittle mag every week is whats really helping out. I will say, my coraline growth is pretty insane currently.

Im not sure about it helping with algae.

I kind of did a restart on the kalk dosing when I switched the tank over. With so much new water my levels were spot on, so I started with 1/4 of a tsp per gallon, then upped it to 1/2 a week l later after seeing my ca level drop. There were so many changes around that time its hard to say what did it, but everything really seems to be doing great. I think the fact my alk is staying spot on with the .5 tsp/g and alittle mag every week is whats really helping out. I will say, my coraline growth is pretty insane currently.

Im not sure about it helping with algae.

So you also dose mag? How did you start on the old tank?

NorthGaHillbilly

So you also dose mag? How did you start on the old tank?

I check my mag every week, if it isnt at 1350 then I dose some. Im far from anal on the mag, just try and keep it up around 1350, usually takes very little.

I was dosing much more concentrated kalk water in the old tank and ended up overdoing it.

NorthGaHillbilly

Lol, what's your ca and all that jazz at?

I run it in through my ATO, but if you start light with it it'll be hard to do much damage

NorthGaHillbilly

He did alot better job at it than I could. if your tank is anything like mine it wont take much if your doing it in your ATO, as smaller tanks seem to usually have a MUCH higher % evap per day.

Just checked, Im only doing ~1/4 tsp per gal, I started at 1/8th and went up to 1/4, not up to 1/2

Alright....

So it appears like my tank is very low on Ca. Im trying to test it and the Red Sea kit wont even pick it up. Once I add the powder to the little jar and shake it, it turns blue. I thought it was a product fluke, so I tested some freshly mixed saltwater - and it worked properly.

Wtf?

Im an idiot.

NorthGaHillbilly

Alright....

So it appears like my tank is very low on Ca. Im trying to test it and the Red Sea kit wont even pick it up. Once I add the powder to the little jar and shake it, it turns blue. I thought it was a product fluke, so I tested some freshly mixed saltwater - and it worked properly.

Wtf?

Thats bizzar, whats the lowest itll pick up? Just make sure to make any changes SLOWLY, but that being said, it sounds like kalk is right on the money.

Alright....

Wtf?

Im an idiot.

Test again? :)

Thats bizzar, whats the lowest itll pick up? Just make sure to make any changes SLOWLY, but that being said, it sounds like kalk is right on the money.

Nvm haha. I was doing it wrong.

Ca is 505ppm

NorthGaHillbilly

Nvm haha. I was doing it wrong.

Ca is 505ppm

LOL, id hold off on kalk Id think, whats your alk? if its too low Itd probably be good to get some mag

test again?

I will.

KH came out to 8.4 dKH or 3Meq/L

Betcha don't have no ####ing bryopsis though...

But I do...

NorthGaHillbilly

My cardinals are breeding... I feel accomplished

I will.KH came out to 8.4 dKH or 3Meq/L But I do...

The chemistry is getting above my head now.. but I don't see how mag could be that high.

Another development, my SPED clown looks like it's finally hosting... a meat coral :/

NorthGaHillbilly

Thats good news.

Yeah. Tested Mag again and got same results.

Lol. Nice.

Weird. What salt are you using again?

Paging Ben... chime in Dr. Ben

Archived