ReefCleaners.org

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

jedimasterben

its a 6' 125 I think, he sold off the old tank and got that scratched up one for the sump. Its still a work in progress, he might beat my ass for posting up the picture, but its a serious setup already.

that shit is badass, I'm totally jelly. I'd love to have a multi-tank setup like that! I love my sump, but I'd also love to have a dedicated tank for a refugium. I could do my original plan of using a 29g tank in front of my sump, but then it would be difficult to get to it for maintenance.

But shit, still may do it anyway lol

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

that shit is badass, I'm totally jelly. I'd love to have a multi-tank setup like that! I love my sump, but I'd also love to have a dedicated tank for a refugium. I could do my original plan of using a 29g tank in front of my sump, but then it would be difficult to get to it for maintenance.

But shit, still may do it anyway lol

Seeing his has made me want to add a frag tank off of mine, im not sure if Ill do it or not, but its tempting.

Your kole looks nice n fat man, good score! :) Mine is coming out more and more too, as long as me and the kiddo stay away like you said. It let me sit about 2' away from the tank and came to the front tho for a little while, but anytime I have the camera up he darts to the back and hides :(

Got any pics of your friends DT??

I'll drop this blue shot with the new settings here just for you :lol:

15640262843_afbd256794_z.jpg

Love the tang, my Kole is a real punk. Best part is when he chases the sixline around the tank for no good reason.

The sixline and the Kole love both spend lots of time in the mirror.

NorthGaHillbilly

Love the tang, my Kole is a real punk. Best part is when he chases the sixline around the tank for no good reason.

The sixline and the Kole love both spend lots of time in the mirror.

I think the wrasse ended up messing with the tang, he's been hiding alot, completely unusual, and when the tang gets close to him he freaks out. All other fish seem to be fine with the tang, I think the wrasse finally met his match.

Ended up with some stn on the green acro, I superglued the spots and will continue to monitor.

Just saw my pom pom crab for the first time in 3 weeks, he was gone within 2 min. Dollars per hour, he's the worst $7 spent yet.

NorthGaHillbilly

Lol

What's stn?

Slow tissue nercrosis, bad scene

Your kole looks nice n fat man, good score! :) Mine is coming out more and more too, as long as me and the kiddo stay away like you said. It let me sit about 2' away from the tank and came to the front tho for a little while, but anytime I have the camera up he darts to the back and hides :(

Got any pics of your friends DT??

I'll drop this blue shot with the new settings here just for you :lol:

15640262843_afbd256794_z.jpg

I'll wait till he gets all his lighting figgured out, three led fixtures and a hand full of t5s, before I put one up.

Damn... that bowerbanki

Slow tissue nercrosis, bad scene

An SPS keepers nightmare :(

I'll wait till he gets all his lighting figgured out, three led fixtures and a hand full of t5s, before I put one up.

Nice! You should talk him into just joining here too :)

Damn... that bowerbanki

I know :wub:

Ouch, why can't you dip the corals? Also hope you don't get other infected corals.

Dips don't cure everything, stn isn't always something treatable usually have to frag the coral to stop it..... if it even stops. Hell it can pop up for no known reason even with no pests and rock solid quality parameters..... acros are crazy little creatures lol

I think the wrasse ended up messing with the tang, he's been hiding alot, completely unusual, and when the tang gets close to him he freaks out. All other fish seem to be fine with the tang, I think the wrasse finally met his match.

Ended up with some stn on the green acro, I superglued the spots and will continue to monitor.

Just saw my pom pom crab for the first time in 3 weeks, he was gone within 2 min. Dollars per hour, he's the worst $7 spent yet.

Hopefully the superglue works. My slimer, the biggest and easiest coral in my tank has been stn'ing now for 2 months. It must be an infection at this point but I haven't gotten up the gumption to do what I need to do, which is wrap a belt of superglue and epoxy over the receding branches.

Come on how not, the corals have an immune system also, there are also genes responsible for an immune response, if we kept finding and fragging the ones with the stronger immune response, we'd eventually make this a less common problem.

Come on how not, the corals have an immune system also, there are also genes responsible for an immune response, if we kept finding and fragging the ones with the stronger immune response, we'd eventually make this a less common problem.

If it were that easy, it wouldn't be so addicting. A lot of people enjoy the thrill and challenge of keeping such delicate pieces. There are some SPS that are more hardy than others(still doesn't mean they won't STN), but a SPS collector would not want to limit their collection to just those pieces.

If it were that easy, it wouldn't be so addicting. A lot of people enjoy the thrill and challenge of keeping such delicate pieces. There are some SPS that are more hardy than others(still doesn't mean they won't STN), but a SPS collector would not want to limit their collection to just those pieces.

And another part of the joy is collecting new stuff when it comes out. And like you said, there are hardier pieces out there but birds, digi, etc. aren't overly appealing to many of the hardcore collectors and can be considered a nuisance/ weeds.

Then theres those of us that want that next new hot piece before everyone else, and want to try to figure out how to make it happy knowing basically nothing about it....

Why couldn't we pick out the resistant ones and frag them more?

Because we don't know what causes STN. My problems started when I let my Alk spike from 8.5 all the way to 10. Alk needs to be rock solid stable in an SPS tank or Acropora will suffer. Sometimes it's tip burn, some times it's recession at the base. The terms STN and RTN are general descriptions of the problem. Slow Tissue Necrosis, Rapid Tissue Necrosis. These are not scientific terms.

My slimer literally grows like a weed so I placed it down behind some rocks. It still gets light and flow, but the STN area is below the rocks in front and this could be a reaction to reduced flow, or light, or something else. I've let it go in the past and one day it stopped losing tissue and in a week had grown over a good chunk of the dead area. This time, so far, no such luck.

I look at it more like the common cold or Flu. My corals had to live through some bad water conditions and some of them caught a cold, the slimer still has the sniffles. :)

I've heard some evidence that several species of vibrio bacteria can be a cause for stn. such delicate specimens.

There is a ridiculous amount of things that can cause stn.... including unknown. lol

Archived