• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And im just like "I'll try that" fails

"Yeah I'll try that again" fails

"One more shot" fails

"I think I fixed the problem" fails

NorthGaHillbilly

Song made me think of your thread for some reason. I think it's because of your username :P

LOL, crackin me up man, Ima head your way, forgot about gun talk

My cat might or might not have gotten a cardinal as a snack. The male disappeared over the weekend, but I cant find him on the ground, in the overflow or down in the sump. The female looks to have dropped her eggs, so Im hoping hes just hiding with a mouth full.

NorthGaHillbilly

Two solid developments

1) I was looking at the tank last night and about had a shit fit when I saw the tang was covered in white spots.... dun dun dun. He was clean that morning, but covered that night. I crossed my fingers and let him be over night to see if it might just be detritus from a dive bomb through the rocks. Came down this morning and hes looking 100% healthy and no white spots :D

2) I bought a BRS 5 stage RO system used off of a guy locally. I paid $75 thinking that I would have to replace the filters immediately. I hooked it up today, and tho Im only getting 40psi which is a pisser, witin 5 min I was getting 3 TDS before the DI, and 0 after. Checked now and its 0 before the DI. TDS out of the tap is 2**

So all is well. I think Im going to be looking into a booster pump before too long.

Spots will probably be back in a week or so. Just feed him heavily IMO and he'll be fine. I have ick in my tank but heavy feeding gets the fish through it until they are mostly immune.

So they can come and go that quickly? Well shit.

Yea, the spots are the final phase just before they launch back into the water column to encrust on a rock somewhere. When it starts again you may notice the fish flashing, then in a few days the spots, then it will start all over. Eventually the fish get mostly immune. I treat it like the common cold. Try and keep the fish healthy as possible and most can fight it off.

The only way to really keep it out of the tank is QT everything, including non fish that might have spores or whatever they call it. Too much work for me. :)

jedimasterben

There is no such thing as an immunity to a parasite ;) possibly after a while the fish gets less irritated by it. If you took a gill clipping from a 'healthy' fish that has not shown outward signs of the parasite but the tank is known to have it, you'd find that it still goes hog-wild.

Current thinking is that after about a year of no additions (fish, corals, rock, etc, anything that could potentially harbor parasites or cysts) that it kind of burns itself out from reproduction, but let's be honest, who isn't going to be adding anything to their tank ever again? :D

There is no such thing as an immunity to a parasite ;) possibly after a while the fish gets less irritated by it. If you took a gill clipping from a 'healthy' fish that has not shown outward signs of the parasite but the tank is known to have it, you'd find that it still goes hog-wild.

Current thinking is that after about a year of no additions (fish, corals, rock, etc, anything that could potentially harbor parasites or cysts) that it kind of burns itself out from reproduction, but let's be honest, who isn't going to be adding anything to their tank ever again? :D

So what happens when my tangs are covered in spots, then a cycle later some spots, then a cycle later a few spots, and then no spots. Why are they less susceptible to each cycle? I know it can move into the gills, but why is the fish more resistant on it's body.

Do you have any data showing we have some science behind how the parasite works? Do we know for a fact the gills continue to host the parasite? It's why I don't like to talk about it. All kinds of horror stories, but no horror.

NorthGaHillbilly

Im following along for ich info.

I checked the pressure from out faucets... 40 PSI aswell... that aint ballin. So I upped the pressure regulator on the house to get 60, should make for better showers and more RO production

Ich isn't nearly the big deal newbs make it out to be. Healthy fish, will be fine.... keep them fed with a quality food (like NLS thera +A pellets) and as long as they remain eating and healthy they are fine. I've had 20+ (I think it was 28 that I had at the time...) fish with it at the same time, and the only ones I lost were the 2 new ones that brought it in initially.... and never ate.

Its when people panic and start needlessly stressing out fish by chasing them around with a net for hours then rushing them to a freshly set up qt that turns into more problems then success. Just keep feeding good and your tang will be fine ;)

jedimasterben

So what happens when my tangs are covered in spots, then a cycle later some spots, then a cycle later a few spots, and then no spots. Why are they less susceptible to each cycle? I know it can move into the gills, but why is the fish more resistant on it's body.

Do you have any data showing we have some science behind how the parasite works? Do we know for a fact the gills continue to host the parasite? It's why I don't like to talk about it. All kinds of horror stories, but no horror.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/23132-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/57175-fish-white-spots-went-away.html

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/sp/feature/index.php

The Reefkeeping articles have a long list of references to studies, etc.

But they don't, most link to hobby science and a few to studies I don't have access too. It's also notable that the last link you provided mentions a 6 month immunity. :o That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, it just is what it is. I also tend to shut down when someone mentions the ethics of keeping fish in an infected tank. I just feel so guilty. :D

jedimasterben

But they don't, most link to hobby science and a few to studies I don't have access too. It's also notable that the last link you provided mentions a 6 month immunity. :o That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, it just is what it is. I also tend to shut down when someone mentions the ethics of keeping fish in an infected tank. I just feel so guilty. :D

The thing about the immunity bit is that there really isn't any data in either direction for it, just another theory.

Really, we keep fish in (relatively) tiny glass boxes until they die, that's pretty unethical as it is :D

NorthGaHillbilly

The thing about the immunity bit is that there really isn't any data in either direction for it, just another theory.

Really, we keep fish in (relatively) tiny glass boxes until they die, that's pretty unethical as it is :D

Its like prison, just a very expensive prison, and pretty if we do out job as jailer right.

NorthGaHillbilly

Messed around with my lighting schedgule again, I think Ive got it worked out well. In the morning i have two hours of B+ and an actinic, then those switch OFF and 3 B+ and a Purple+ come on for 7, then the actinic and B+ come back on for two hours.

https://flic.kr/p/qDYAJT'>16182315919_a4191d42f7_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qDYAJT'>20150125_140444 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Messed around with my lighting schedgule again, I think Ive got it worked out well. In the morning i have two hours of B+ and an actinic, then those switch OFF and 3 B+ and a Purple+ come on for 7, then the actinic and B+ come back on for two hours.

16182315919_a4191d42f7_c.jpg20150125_140444 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Looks great man!

All this Ich talk is making me worried about my tangs flashing behavior.

He eating good? If your real worried get a cleaner shrimp or two.

NorthGaHillbilly

All this Ich talk is making me worried about my tangs flashing behavior.

Mine looks completely normal, but with some dandrif... that aint ballin

Is yours still eating well?

I've heard some evidence that several species of vibrio bacteria can be a cause for stn. such delicate specimens.

Also give you a terminal case of the shits...cholera, parahemolyticus, etc.

He eating good? If your real worried get a cleaner shrimp or two.

Mine looks completely normal, but with some dandrif... that aint ballin

Is yours still eating well?

No man. The Kole tang is too scared to come out and eat. Last night I mixed some garlic flakes and pelts in vitamins and fed it to him via turkey baster. But other than that he only picks off the rocks.

Archived