Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NGaHB's 34 gallon... major rescape and a nem split

NorthGaHillbilly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

505ppm cal, 150ppm alk, 1600ppm mag. Anything negative or just testing and it looks weird? Cal is high, but not absurdly so, just let it fall on its own. Alk is good. Mag is on the higher range. If you want to get rid of bryopsis, you have to raise it with Kent Tech M only.

505ppm cal, 150ppm alk, 1600ppm mag. Anything negative or just testing and it looks weird? Cal is high, but not absurdly so, just let it fall on its own. Alk is good. Mag is on the higher range. If you want to get rid of bryopsis, you have to raise it with Kent Tech M only.

Well I tested because I was going to start dosing kalk. I was going to start dosing because coral never grows in my tank. They all just die. So I figured it was water chemistry.

jedimasterben

Well I tested because I was going to start dosing kalk. I was going to start dosing because coral never grows in my tank. They all just die. So I figured it was water chemistry.

What salt you using?

Coral growth can be so many things it's mind boggling. Definitely don't dose kalk (or anything) unless you're testing and seeing it drop.

On your tank thread, make a new post going over everything about the tank - filtration, other equipment, what you feed, how much you feed, anything else you do, anything else you think might be relevant, and I'll go over and see if I can help out :)

My cardinals are breeding... I feel accomplished

Sweet! Which Cards do you have?

Another development, my SPED clown looks like it's finally hosting... a meat coral :/

Dumb clowns! Mine have been poking around my beefy welso, if they host it I will eat them lol

Even with the elevated calcium (tho with the other testing errors are we sure that is is that high...., same with mag.) I actually like those numbers. High mag from my understanding isn't an issue really, its just low mag that causes problems.

With those #s theres no need... What's your phosphate at??

NorthGaHillbilly

Sweet! Which Cards do you have?

two banggais, they have been pretty cool fish, no aggression twords the rest of the crew

Hillbilly, You good with me using you in my Signature? If not, l will change it. Thanks, Shane

LOL, glad to be sig worthy. Thank YOU Shane :lol:

Is this bryopsis, I'm actually trying to grow it.attachicon.gifIMG_20150106_230206.jpg

Snails can really do some hurt to it. D:

Looks like plain ol hair algae to me

NorthGaHillbilly

Isn't it basically the worst algae pest in the tanks, what is the worst?

not the worst, but its a pain. IF your looking to grow the WORST then ask Ben to send you some diatoms, then youll have the holy grail of nasty

NorthGaHillbilly

Did a deep cleating of the sump yeaterday, my reactor blew out into the sump and I had carbon everywhere. I had to turn off my detritus blasting pump in the sump off because of that and had a build up.

I ended up trying out a mesh sock as opposed to felt, why oh WHY hadn't I done th is before?! So much easier to clean. I threw away the two old socks after trying one out.

Nothing eats it?

Not in the aquarium trade.

jedimasterben

Nothing eats it?

He actually meant dinoflagellates, not diatoms. There are plenty of species of dinoflagellates and plenty of predators of them, but nothing that you can realistically harness in an aquarium. They bloom and take over, killing just about anything they touch and any fish that ingest them (save for some rabbitfish). They can also cause harm to people, as well.

Ouch, bad things are usually pretty unexpected in this hobby, did any livestock get damaged? Also those diatoms sound sweet, but don't they need high silicates?

Ahh dinoflagellates, the reason I don't eat tarpon or any other high food chain creatures of the sea.

Now what kind do you suffer with?

jedimasterben

Ouch, bad things are usually pretty unexpected in this hobby, did any livestock get damaged? Also those diatoms sound sweet, but don't they need high silicates?

Yes, but diatoms and dinoflagellates aren't similar in that regard. I dose sodium silicate to my tank to encourage diatom growth.

Ahh dinoflagellates, the reason I don't eat tarpon or any other high food chain creatures of the sea.

Any fish you eat will have eaten dinoflagellates, just that some are toxic and some are not. Some pass straight through the system, some do not, etc.

Now what kind do you suffer with?

Some variant of Ostreopsis. Ciguatoxin and palytoxin are among the list of nasties that this species is capable of producing.

NorthGaHillbilly

Couple of small updates, the tang is getting settled in. Hes constantly picking at the rock, and staying out as long as I dont get too messing with the tank. I put some nori in the tank and later came back to part of it being eaten, Im guessing it was his doing.

https://flic.kr/p/qLEsh8'>16257990911_6da6de0812_z.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qLEsh8'>20150111_164111 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

I went to one of buddies houses, here in Atlanta, to check out his tank. He had a 120, and recently went to a 265, thats wild enough, but his garage sump system takes it over the top.

One of the 20Ls is going to be a fuge, the other a frag tank. total water volume is around 400 gallons.

https://flic.kr/p/qGY3UE'>16216158326_3b38cbf49e_z.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qGY3UE'>20150109_165223 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125603963@N06/'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

NorthGaHillbilly

jeezus, is he using the old 120 as a sump now? lol

its a 6' 125 I think, he sold off the old tank and got that scratched up one for the sump. Its still a work in progress, he might beat my ass for posting up the picture, but its a serious setup already.

Archived