Cultivated Reef

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

Does anyone have 1 over a fusion 20? I am hoping to see the spread this thing puts out. MD just released a vid that shows it working well on a 20 inch tank. And when the guy in the video moves the light side to side, it seems to show a little extra light on the sides of the tank.

Also, for a $30 mount, they should have resolved the drooping issue.

chilled_fire

I have it over 15 gallon which is 24" long spread is good covers almost the entire area I am only keeping light hungry corals directly under it. The one birds nest is very close to the light and I think it's bleaching out with the light at 60%. Everything else is doing great.

I also have a clam not directly unerring the spotlight and still doing good. Will post some picks later this week.

reefernanoman

I have it over 15 gallon which is 24" long spread is good covers almost the entire area I am only keeping light hungry corals directly under it. The one birds nest is very close to the light and I think it's bleaching out with the light at 60%. Everything else is doing great.

I also have a clam not directly unerring the spotlight and still doing good. Will post some picks later this week.

60%? That might be too much. I would acclimate my corals first and start around 20%. I did the same with my first LED lights. I put them at 100% and was flrying everything! Now I don't go further than 50%.
  • Like 2
chilled_fire

I started of with 40 but within a day my clam stared to act strange. I thought it would move closer to light but it didn't. as soon as I increases to 60 it opened up fully . another thing to add is though my tank is almost 3 years old now . It was neglected quite some time because of our newborn and reallocation. GSP had taken over the entire tank under T5HOs. I have redone the tank a few months back and updated the live rock. my hammer which is on sand bed had already bleached of during neglect most probably because of lack of food as of now it's getting its color back slowly.

I might get it down to 50 or move the birds nest lower.

I think this light is too much for shallow tank. My lights are almost 4-5" above the surface of water.

in general though how many hours are others keeping the light on ? And what % also individual color % would also help.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the prime has an acclimation mode. If it were me, I'd also start in the 30% range and then ramp up 5% weekly until you hit your target goal or notice corals showing stress. You probably won't need to run this fixture anywhere near 100%.

• Like 1
nismo_sky32

Have had my light up overnight now and no issues with the tank mount. Haven't had time to play with the settings to see what I like best but I have to say for the price, is little light is pretty damn nice. One of my favorite things about it is the capability to control it from anywhere I want via the myai app and having each color on its own channel. My only complaint thus far is coming from a nano box tide and not having lenses, I may want to do the same with this one. The tank mount is massive. Well built but too damn big. It ruins the beauty of a reef tank. I will switching it to a hanging mount above the new tank

• Like 1

I would love to see your tank with the prime over it. I dont care about keeping high light corals on the edges of the tank, I just want the light spread to reach the edges of the tank, par isnt a big deal for me. I just want it to look nice and not have dead light zones on the edges of the tank. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Also, congrats on having a new addition to your family. Our first child was born a week ago today. Its one of the greatest moments of my life, and even tho we have to wake up every 3 hours with him during the night, its all worth it.

• Like 2
porkchop-rob

I started of with 40 but within a day my clam stared to act strange. I thought it would move closer to light but it didn't. as soon as I increases to 60 it opened up fully . another thing to add is though my tank is almost 3 years old now . It was neglected quite some time because of our newborn and reallocation. GSP had taken over the entire tank under T5HOs. I have redone the tank a few months back and updated the live rock. my hammer which is on sand bed had already bleached of during neglect most probably because of lack of food as of now it's getting its color back slowly.

I might get it down to 50 or move the birds nest lower.

I think this light is too much for shallow tank. My lights are almost 4-5" above the surface of water.

in general though how many hours are others keeping the light on ? And what % also individual color % would also help.

I am running my light as low as it will mount (4" maybe above my tank) on the Nuvo Pico 4.

Currently I have my lights all equal at 45%. They come on at 2pm ramp up 1 hour and start the 1 hour ramp down at 10PM.

I removed all of the softies and lps from my system, and the stylo, pavona, and monti cap seem to be liking this light cycle. Lots of PE on the purple stylo.

- that said, these are my first SPS pieces, and I do not have any long term results with these settings.

• Like 1
chilled_fire

I am running my light as low as it will mount (4" maybe above my tank) on the Nuvo Pico 4.

Currently I have my lights all equal at 45%. They come on at 2pm ramp up 1 hour and start the 1 hour ramp down at 10PM.

I removed all of the softies and lps from my system, and the stylo, pavona, and monti cap seem to be liking this light cycle. Lots of PE on the purple stylo.

- that said, these are my first SPS pieces, and I do not have any long term results with these settings.

for Pico 4 i doubt if you would ever need 100% but time will tell :) i run it from 11 am to 8pm with 1 hour ramp. are you using all leds at 45% ?

I would love to see your tank with the prime over it. I dont care about keeping high light corals on the edges of the tank, I just want the light spread to reach the edges of the tank, par isnt a big deal for me. I just want it to look nice and not have dead light zones on the edges of the tank. I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Also, congrats on having a new addition to your family. Our first child was born a week ago today. Its one of the greatest moments of my life, and even tho we have to wake up every 3 hours with him during the night, its all worth it.

No dark sport anywhere it covers the whole tank with ease.

Thanks and congrats to you too. one week old, best of luck buddy at one week its all worth it lets talk after a month,LOL.

My daughter is now year old and now i get sometime to work on both my tanks, i have a 30G fresh water tank also.I will post the pics on Thursday.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the prime has an acclimation mode. If it were me, I'd also start in the 30% range and then ramp up 5% weekly until you hit your target goal or notice corals showing stress. You probably won't need to run this fixture anywhere near 100%.

This i am not aware of, I don't see any such option in myAI. My corals and clam are doing great at 60% so I wont ramp down now. Also I previously had 4 T5HO's 2 " above tank.

chilled_fire

60%? That might be too much. I would acclimate my corals first and start around 20%. I did the same with my first LED lights. I put them at 100% and was flrying everything! Now I don't go further than 50%.

how deep is your tank ?

porkchop-rob

...are you using all leds at 45% ?

Yup.

45% straight across.

I do not think there is an acclimation program (at least not on the phone app)

I spoke to Justin at AI and he provided a rough estimate for the different intensities for what he recommended over the Nuvo 10. Here are the current stats that I'm using.

IMG_2634.jpg

• Like 1

Got my prime today :D. Easy to set up so far I love it. My only issue is the mount. Mine is not sagging like others have stated. My issue is that the mounting piece and screw are way to big for my cadlights 8. My center chamber has a tunze 9001 so I only have 1 1/4". I really want this to be mounted in the center of the tank. So my question is for Justin will a smaller profile piece be available in the future or do I need to DIY something? Most aquarium glass is no thicker than 1/2" why does this mount seem to be designed to accomodate glass up to 1". Seems overkill for a product for the nano market.

IMG_0004_zpsyr17xtu5.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsgxdc8doo.jpg

nismo_sky32

Got my prime today :D. Easy to set up so far I love it. My only issue is the mount. Mine is not sagging like others have stated. My issue is that the mounting piece and screw are way to big for my cadlights 8. My center chamber has a tunze 9001 so I only have 1 1/4". I really want this to be mounted in the center of the tank. So my question is for Justin will a smaller profile piece be available in the future or do I need to DIY something? Most aquarium glass is no thicker than 1/2" why does this mount seem to be designed to accomodate glass up to 1". Seems overkill for a product for the nano market.

IMG_0004_zpsyr17xtu5.jpg

IMG_0003_zpsgxdc8doo.jpg

Try putting the plastic part of the mount behind the tank. That's what I had to do because of the durso pipe on my tank

Try putting the plastic part of the mount behind the tank. That's what I had to do because of the durso pipe on my tank

Yes but than the metal part would be in the water. Metal in reef tank not good.

Fixed it. Sort of. Used a 3/4" piece of wood as a shim. I guess I am off to the acrylic shop in the morning to make something more permanent. will post pics when I come up with something.

How is the shimmer from this unit? Like a radion more

so than a kessil?

Not a lot of shimmer. More like the Radion. I love the shimmer from the Kessil. but it has more color than the Kessil.

• Like 1
CatfishSoupFTW

Not a lot of shimmer. More like the Radion. I love the shimmer from the Kessil. but it has more color than the Kessil.

one of the reluctant reasons why I dont want to leave my kessils for the prime ( despite the channel control) is for the shimmer. I turned off my flow, to see how the kessil was with little to no shimmer, and my tank loook so still and boring. the shimmer adds so much life and movement. it has its flaws, but the shimmer just ... ah. lol

the Kessil reminds me of what it looks like underwater when diving. Flow no flow Kessil makes great shimmer. I know some people dont like "disco effect" but I love it. Although this light for the price is great.

• Like 2

The light is not just for the Nano market though, you could easily light a much bigger thank with these.

even larger tanks are not 1" thick.

TheKingInYellow

even larger tanks are not 1" thick.

Some are? Acrylic tanks in the 500-1000 gallon range normally are.

I'm just saying it\s probably better for AI to make the mount widely useable.

porkchop-rob

I assumed the mounting bracket was that large to accommodate the plastic rimmed tanks.....

It fit in my NUVO PICO 4 just perfect....

the Kessil reminds me of what it looks like underwater when diving. Flow no flow Kessil makes great shimmer. I know some people dont like "disco effect" but I love it. Although this light for the price is great.

Im a diver as well, and I would agree that the shimmer when you're underwater adds so much to the experience!