Cultivated Reef

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

porkchop-rob

I took the confidentiality clause to just be ubiquitous business fluff. Everyone I deal with at work has that junk on their emails....even if they are just sending out a meme or a joke or something. LOL

If there is an issue with my copy/pastes...Someone from AI let me know, and Ill remove my posts.

Honestly, I have no idea what jmsalt1 is saying about imperfections...maybe he got a white one?? My black Prime looks amazing, and I am quite impressed with the mounting bracket as well.

You can make a plastic housing of higher quality than this. Mine Prime is black and you can see swirls in the finish. It is what it is and it looks cheap IMO. If I can capture it on a picture easily, I will see if I can post it at a later date. Mine would be mounted under a kitchen cabinet so you would never notice the imperfections in my application, I am just stating my observations for the benefit of others that may be displaying the fixture more prominently.

• Like 1
porkchop-rob

You can make a plastic housing of higher quality than this. Mine Prime is black and you can see swirls in the finish. It is what it is and it looks cheap IMO. If I can capture it on a picture easily, I will see if I can post it at a later date. Mine would be mounted under a kitchen cabinet so you would never notice the imperfections in my application, I am just stating my observations for the benefit of others that may be displaying the fixture more prominently.

I am quite interested to see....my curiosity if piqued!

Mine looks....well.....flawless....

Its very odd to me. Its not hard to make a plastic part look good (flawless) they do it millions of times a day across the globe.

Got home, and was able to reprogram mine to use without the home wifi.....Its working like a CHAMP. Not sure what caused the initial issue, but it is now working exactly like expected.

I had problem connecting to it initially using my phone, it would detect the Prime in range but unable to connect, then I found that my phone (Galaxy Alpha) was on powersave mode, disabled powersave and it connected instantly.

Was able to play around with the control and light settings a bit, and programmed the light to a auto cycle with 3 hours ramp up.

Currently I have it placed over my biocube 14 that was used as QT before I stop procrastinating to build the frag tank setup.

UV and violet I found were not a good option for lunar mode with my hydra. I am no expert on light spectrum but am pretty sure to much UV is a bad thing for corals. I had some coral melt off using UV and Violet. This is my experience using the Hydra not the Prime. I use Blue as my lunar mode and have it shut off around midnight.

Thanks for the input. I have a single blue on its own channel that I use for the lunar cycle on my other light and I love that functionality for my small cube.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Connecting the light to the wifi and app isn't the problem.... the problem is the ridiculously outrageously oversized arm that they must have thought would be used for 50 gallon aquariums... also, I'm having an issue with the connection at the fixture where even when you lock the bolts, the light droop down, as in the ball won't hold firm where you want it placed...

anyone else experience this?

I am quite interested to see....my curiosity if piqued!

Mine looks....well.....flawless....

Its very odd to me. Its not hard to make a plastic part look good (flawless) they do it millions of times a day across the globe.

The one I saw many months ago seemed to be 3D printed not cast / molded plastic. I thought that the 3D printed version may have been what they used for the demo units at trade shows. Maybe the production model is also 3D printed. That would explain the irregularities. Mine will be here in a couple days so I cant say for sure.

Connecting the light to the wifi and app isn't the problem.... the problem is the ridiculously outrageously oversized arm that they must have thought would be used for 50 gallon aquariums... also, I'm having an issue with the connection at the fixture where even when you lock the bolts, the light droop down, as in the ball won't hold firm where you want it placed...

No problem with the arm, I tighten the 2 black bolts and it is holding firm. I am also able to tilt the angle of the light upward and it didn't seem to have signs of the tension relaxing and droop.

also, I'm having an issue with the connection at the fixture where even when you lock the bolts, the light droop down, as in the ball won't hold firm where you want it placed...

Yep, same problem here. AI offered a couple suggestions to fix, including flipping the little back piece of the ball joint bracket and using the additional spacers that came with the mounting arm, but neither worked. I am waiting on another response from tech support.

This sounds like an issue with the retailer, not AI.

I really like the prime, I am glad I chose it over the kessil.

Its a bit of both. light was introduced at MACNA with delivery around black Friday its almost April. I know this is all very silly but It seems to be PAR for the course with Ecotech. According to some retailers their hands were tied as to when they could ship it. And it still shipped a week after AI said it was shipping. To me that is not a way to do business. They had plenty of time to base their production run off pre order sales. Great if your the company but not so much as the consumer.

How tall is the tank mount?

SouthFlorida_Tron

Yep, same problem here. AI offered a couple suggestions to fix, including flipping the little back piece of the ball joint bracket and using the additional spacers that came with the mounting arm, but neither worked. I am waiting on another response from tech support, but they already mentioned sending replacement parts. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue as it sucks to have an expensive new toy I can't use.

I also flipped the back piece but it still falls...I didn't try using the spacers but I don't see how that would improve the seal

The extra ball screw inserts provided with the kit are extras and should be stored, not used. The ball screw insert that is already assembled within the clamp mechanism is all that is needed to secure the light to the mounting kit. Once the light is positioned where it needs to be, gently tighten the two black screws that clamp against the ball screw to prevent the light from moving. Over tightening will deform the plastic insert and at that time, it could no longer work. The extra inserts are provided in case you accidentally over tighten.

In other words, if you are adding multiple plastic inserts into the clamp mechanism then this is not how the product was designed to be used. Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions that you may have!

post-87689-0-90332900-1427488021_thumb.jpg

Did you put the two little plastic spacer things on those two bolts to lock the light?

No, the bolts were already attached to it when I took it out of the package, so I didn't bother taking it out to put the spacer on it.

No, the bolts were already attached to it when I took it out of the package, so I didn't bother taking it out to put the spacer on it.

Did you tighten the two screws as shown above?

masterbuilder

Beacause thats what it is...an inexpensive LED fixture. I am sure AI has done everything possible to keep cost down to market a decent but inexpensive controllable LED. I don't own one but IMO it appears they have met their goal and I say kudos. For 200 bucks you cant expect a diamond. If higher quality and finish is what is wanted, then the cost will have to go up. C'est la vie.

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

The extra ball screw inserts provided with the kit are extras and should be stored, not used. The ball screw insert that is already assembled within the clamp mechanism is all that is needed to secure the light to the mounting kit. Once the light is positioned where it needs to be, gently tighten the two black screws that clamp against the ball screw to prevent the light from moving. Over tightening will deform the plastic insert and at that time, it could no longer work. The extra inserts are provided in case you accidentally over tighten.

In other words, if you are adding multiple plastic inserts into the clamp mechanism then this is not how the product was designed to be used. Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions that you may have!

I just spoke with Matt over the phone. He mentioned that ball nut should go through the small bracket instead of the bracket sitting on top of it... Could you confirm this method?

if you are adding multiple plastic inserts into the clamp mechanism then this is not how the product was designed to be used.

That's what I figured, but gave the extra spacer thing a try. AI has been very responsive and helpful with the issue, as you can see from their activity in the thread, which is greatly appreciated. Another temporary solution suggested for anyone else having this issue is to add a small, circular paper cutout between the ball screw and ball screw insert (see diagram above) to provide some extra stability.

I just spoke with Matt over the phone. He mentioned that ball nut should go through the small bracket instead of the bracket sitting on top of it... Could you confirm this method?

I would assume the same kinda thing here, might be a temporary solution, but not how it is designed to work.

It should be assembled exactly as shown. All ball screw assemblies were inspected prior to shipment so assuming proper assembly they really should work and hold well.

If they don't hold well, try replacing the existing ball screw insert with one of the ones already provided. If that doesn't work then you can try reversing the ball screw clamp.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Unfortunately I'm heading to work. But I'll be fidgeting with it at 1am when I get home if I have to, or else I won't sleep! Lol

The two spacers appeared to be with two bolts to hold the top bracket into the arm. So it's for the ball nut not for those then right?

Unfortunately I'm heading to work. But I'll be fidgeting with it at 1am when I get home if I have to, or else I won't sleep! Lol

The two spacers appeared to be with two bolts to hold the top bracket into the arm. So it's for the ball nut not for those then right?

Correct. They are not spacers, they are called the "ball screw insert" and they provided the friction cup for the ball screw to rotate within. Compression of the ball screw clamp using the screws squishes the ball screw insert against the ball and provides tension. The extra two ball screw inserts are EXTRA's and should be stored. If for some reason the ball screw insert wears out and no longer provides tension, these extras are their for replacement purposes.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Well that may be the answer. I took the entire thing apart when I went to flip the small bracket. The ball nut didn't have a spacer attached. I'll throw one in and hopefully that solves it.

I have the hanging kit but wonder if it will have a similar issue as I have not played w it yet. I will say the kit looks very soup to nuts.

Beacause thats what it is...an inexpensive LED fixture. I am sure AI has done everything possible to keep cost down to market a decent but inexpensive controllable LED. I don't own one but IMO it appears they have met their goal and I say kudos. For 200 bucks you cant expect a diamond. If higher quality and finish is what is wanted, then the cost will have to go up. C'est la vie.

To be clear, I wasn't complaining about the quality level given the price point, just stating my observations for others considering the light :-)