Cultivated Reef

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

I'm taking my PicO skim 2.0 out tonight. It's not doing anything for the tank right now except creating some bubbles. I have the baffle extension as high as I can get it to allow for actual water movement in the rear chamber, and there is nothing going on. I am going to just stick with 2g water changes now (~20-25% total water volume). if I win that mame skimmer from Saltwater conversion, I may try it, but IM's design around the ghost skimmer alone has pretty much soured me on skimmers for this tank.

inTank Media basket, Carbon, floss. Done.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think i am moving the tank to my new job instead of starting a pico. The reason is that my tank is basically in a storage room. I essentially only go in that room for cleaning and feeding. We have nowhere to put it other than that room but that room isnt really a functional room. Weve tried to make it more cozy but our lack of space and storage means that he room with my tank ends up being storage central. Combine that with only seeing my wife a few hours a day in which time we try and do as much together as possible, i just dont look at the tank at all. I pop in for maybe 2 minutes before i leave for work and maybe 15 minutes to feed or so before bed. My only options are to A) move it to work B ) move it somewhere else in our place where we dont have room or C) sell it all until i have a more tank-friendly life. C isnt happening. B is almost 100% not happening as we dont have a lot of room And my wife dislikes the colors of the LEDs

Maybe ill set up both at work

Hmm

yeah, it's been kind of a weird conundrum. We were also possibly moving to a new place, and so by moving it to work, I would avoid all of the multiple moves and figuring out ways to keep the tank up to the last minute and set it up first at the new place. However, we decided not to move.

We had a long talk, which was great, about what to do with that room. We are going to remove the uncomfy furniture, and sell it. Get something nicer with the money we would have spent on the move. Possibly put a small TV up there too so we can watch movies or something.

We're going to also get a nice wicker laundry basket so I can put my ATO 5g jug in it and hide the ugly jug. That is #1 on my list for tonight. Get the basket and get the ATO back online. I'm going to set up the JBJ ATO again with 2 switches, one of them low in the tank for the water level, and the second upside down higher up so that the water won't overflow like it has 2 times in the past. If this doesn't work, I'm going to get a tunze 3152.

At the suggestion of some other folks, I added the skimmer back on to the tank with the bracket holding on to the baffle separating the 2nd and 3rd chambers. The skimmer is down in the water quite considerably now and the water level won't change much at all for it where it is now located. We'll see if it actually does anything. I have no problem taking it out or keeping it. We'll see how it goes.

The next big thing is trying to contain all the stuff. I've got it all in one big box, but the problem is that to fit it all in the box, I have to mix stuff that is used sometimes and stuff that is never used (the stuff I use all the time is kept in my stand). This leads to me taking stuff out randomly and then struggling to get it all back in. I'm getting a set of drawers to keep all the "sometimes used" stuff in and then keep the rest of it all in the box. Setting up the pico at work will help as much of the stuff will end up there.

Tank just has to mature now. Needs another fish, a pom pom crab, and more coral. I need suggestions there, though. Definitely want some zoas now. Maybe acans? I don't know.

I also would like to figure out a better system for water changes. I usually piss everything off when I pour the water from my bucket back into the tank. I'm trying to figure out a way to make the transfer of new water into the tank easier.

I also would like to figure out a better system for water changes. I usually piss everything off when I pour the water from my bucket back into the tank. I'm trying to figure out a way to make the transfer of new water into the tank easier.

I just clip on the hose from the sand siphon to the bucket and siphon water in/out. Works great, nothing is ever PO'ed afterwards...The only issue is getting the bucket above the tank...tough with my 40G but the IM 10 I just throw the bucket on my shoulder nd let it rip lol.

I just clip on the hose from the sand siphon to the bucket and siphon water in/out. Works great, nothing is ever PO'ed afterwards...The only issue is getting the bucket above the tank...tough with my 40G but the IM 10 I just throw the bucket on my shoulder nd let it rip lol.

Hmmm, that's a good idea. I also actually have a 5ft ladder, and that might help out here.

So, did you decide to keep the tank at home then?

I will add my 2 cents :-), I love having a tank at work. I spend 45 hours a week at work, and I spend waaaaay more time on my work tank than I do on my tank at home. It might not be such a bad idea to move the tank to work.

An idea for water changes. I bought a pitcher (like a kool-aid pitcher). I mix my water up in the bucket, then I pour it into the pitcher, and from there, I can pour it much more slowly and with more control than the bucket. I pour it directly onto the return nozzle, which also helps to break it up so it doesnt stream down to just 1 spot and blow sand anywhere. Maybe try using some kind of pitcher or similar pouring item and go slow so it pisses stuff off less. :-)

That's exactly what I was thinking. I work 40 to 50 hours a week minimum. Having a tank at work would allow me to see it more.

Edit: on the other hand i am going to set up a pico at work anyways, and my wife does like the tank here, and with our nee room goal, i think itll work out well.

As for the pitcher idea, that could work too. I had been using s 2-cup measuring cup but that takes forever.

I don't use a pitcher, but since I can't lift the 5gallon bucket with clean saltwater, I pour it into a smaller mop bucket with a spout. Then pout that into the tank onto my koralia powerhead to break it up. Repeat for a total of three times to get the new water in the tank.

I am always looking for lazy ways to change water, on a smaller tank getting a larger sized canister filter and filling it with salt water then just attaching it to the tank and letting it run for 30 mins or so would easily get you the 20% water change by dilution.

DurocShark

That's exactly what I was thinking. I work 40 to 50 hours a week minimum. Having a tank at work would allow me to see it more.

Edit: on the other hand i am going to set up a pico at work anyways, and my wife does like the tank here, and with our nee room goal, i think itll work out well.

As for the pitcher idea, that could work too. I had been using s 2-cup measuring cup but that takes forever.

Tank at work? I'm looking forward to it myself.

http://i.imgur.com/EzlQZUH.jpg

I had one at work when I was a telemarketer for a newspaper. A 10 gallon freshwater and I had one of those arch tubes on top for the fish to swim up in. Problem was it was only the labrynth fish that went up there, and they would drown because there wasn't any air. :(

Anyway, I spent more time watching the fish than making calls. heh

I roll out my fresh saltwater close to the tank. I use an MJ 1200 to pump water into the tank from the bucket. 3 minutes, done.

Yesterday I did a water change while jittery from too much coffee. Water spilled everywhere. I need a spare pump for water changing...

I don't use a pitcher, but since I can't lift the 5gallon bucket with clean saltwater, I pour it into a smaller mop bucket with a spout. Then pout that into the tank onto my koralia powerhead to break it up. Repeat for a total of three times to get the new water in the tank.

Yeah, I tried using things like this in the past. They do work, but I think kat's pump idea might help me out more.

I am always looking for lazy ways to change water, on a smaller tank getting a larger sized canister filter and filling it with salt water then just attaching it to the tank and letting it run for 30 mins or so would easily get you the 20% water change by dilution.

I'm not spending the money on a canister filter to do this! lol, it's a GREAT idea, but canister filters aren't super cheap.

I roll out my fresh saltwater close to the tank. I use an MJ 1200 to pump water into the tank from the bucket. 3 minutes, done.

Perfect idea! I should probably do this. Maybe I'll grab an extra Tom's aqualifter or something.

Tank at work? I'm looking forward to it myself.

http://i.imgur.com/EzlQZUH.jpg

I had one at work when I was a telemarketer for a newspaper. A 10 gallon freshwater and I had one of those arch tubes on top for the fish to swim up in. Problem was it was only the labrynth fish that went up there, and they would drown because there wasn't any air. :(

Anyway, I spent more time watching the fish than making calls. heh

Haha, I'll be in lab most of the time, where I won't see it. But any time I'm in my office I'll see it - definitely more than I see it right now.

Yesterday I did a water change while jittery from too much coffee. Water spilled everywhere. I need a spare pump for water changing...

Nah, you just need to adjust to more coffee.

Was planning on a trip to the LFS an hour away this weekend as they were having some GREAT sales. Ended up not getting out there. Had too much going on.

Also found that the shroom that was being eaten was in fact released by the paly. It's in the sand now. I'll move it later.

There was a rather interesting worm in my sand - lots and LOTS of tendrils. I think it was a Cirratulid worm. I removed it at first to get an ID, did as best as I could, and then returned it to the tank. I think it's beneficial, so it's staying for now. If not, I'll be able to find it easily again.

jedimasterben

Perfect idea! I should probably do this. Maybe I'll grab an extra Tom's aqualifter or something.

Those things move three gallons of water per hour with no head. If you're pumping up, it does much less, so pumping the water in goes from a few seconds with a Maxijet to an hour or more with the Aqualifter for just a single gallon.

Not the kind of powerhead for the job.

Those things move three gallons of water per hour with no head. If you're pumping up, it does much less, so pumping the water in goes from a few seconds with a Maxijet to an hour or more with the Aqualifter for just a single gallon.

Good points. I'll grab a cheap MJ400 or something. 1-2 gallons to add won't take long.

I'm glad to hear you're redoing the room. I know just how you feel. I have three tanks (two SW, one FW). The FW is a 90g tank in the eat-in kitchen where we spend 2% of our time. The 10g SW is in the family room where we spent 20% of our time. And the 4g is on my desk in the study where I spend 50% of my time.

The care and attention I pay to each tank turns out to be inversely proportional to the size of the tank, just because of where they are in the house and how much time I spend in the room with each one. My little 4g tank gets way more maintenance than any of the other ones just because I'm always looking at it :)

PS: I fill my tanks using a 1 gallon plastic pitcher. I bring the 5g bucket of water in from the garage and pour it into the pitcher, and then pour the pitcher into the back chamber right on top of the floss. In a 10g tank I can pour 3 gallons into the tank in about two minutes.

PPS: now that I have monti caps that have spread out, I can pour water straight into the display area using the monti cap as a plate. I highly recommend monti caps just for filling the tank :happy:

I'm glad to hear you're redoing the room. I know just how you feel. I have three tanks (two SW, one FW). The FW is a 90g tank in the eat-in kitchen where we spend 2% of our time. The 10g SW is in the family room where we spent 20% of our time. And the 4g is on my desk in the study where I spend 50% of my time.

The care and attention I pay to each tank turns out to be inversely proportional to the size of the tank, just because of where they are in the house and how much time I spend in the room with each one. My little 4g tank gets way more maintenance than any of the other ones just because I'm always looking at it :)

PS: I fill my tanks using a 1 gallon plastic pitcher. I bring the 5g bucket of water in from the garage and pour it into the pitcher, and then pour the pitcher into the back chamber right on top of the floss. In a 10g tank I can pour 3 gallons into the tank in about two minutes.

PPS: now that I have monti caps that have spread out, I can pour water straight into the display area using the monti cap as a plate. I highly recommend monti caps just for filling the tank :happy:

lol on the monti caps idea. I need some new rock scaping (still dislike this set up) and maybe I'll put some montis in there :)

I think either the pitcher or the cheap pump idea will be my best option. I do about 2 gallons a week (only have about 8 actual gallons in the tank). Won't take long either way. The pitcher idea is cheaper, though, so my wife will like it more ;)

I'm a ton of lazy, so I use a water canister like this one http://images.biltema.com/PAXToImageService.svc/product/large/2000023718 andmix the water in it. Drop the heater in, put in the salt when the water is warm and then shake it for a bit. Water mixed, I open the nozzle and voila! Quite handy to be able to regulate the intensity of the water stream that comes out of it, too. And no spill :)

cleaning that thing though..... :huh:

lol on the monti caps idea. I need some new rock scaping (still dislike this set up) and maybe I'll put some montis in there :)

I think either the pitcher or the cheap pump idea will be my best option. I do about 2 gallons a week (only have about 8 actual gallons in the tank). Won't take long either way. The pitcher idea is cheaper, though, so my wife will like it more ;)

My idea, which I just haven't gotten around to yet, was to get a small pump to get the 4.5 gallons of fresh saltwater into the tank. Meanwhile, I am free to scrape the glass. Multitasking.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived