Cultivated Reef

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

The room the tank is in is extremely warm nowadays. We keep our AC on and I have blackout curtains to keep out the sun from that room, AND a fan that stays on all day, but I'd say the room is still at about 78-79 degrees. Not terrible, but I have concerns that the tank will end up getting too hot as the summer progresses... The pico got warm, but it was against a different wall. Our windows are total crap and in the winter you can literally feel a draft when you sit near them. They are like old old old windows, probably 1/4" thick glass, single pane.

I'll be setting up my office in the next couple of weeks and while I plan on putting the pico there and leaving the 10 at home, I am going to set up a small space that the 10 could go to if need be.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya'll are making me nervous. I have the Tunze Nano...

What he said!

Got the green light from HR today on the Marine Sciences job. I start in 2 weeks! Had lunch with the other postdocs today, including the one who samples SPS from all over the world. She's cool. I'm looking forward to setting up my pico and getting her knowledge. Going to try and get some SPS samples from their lab when they finish with them :D

AWESOME NEWS, Tibbsy! congrats!

AWESOME NEWS, Tibbsy! congrats!

Glad I have the tank and good family/friends right now. The world continues to show that it is a terrible place. I'll avoid political discussions (this isn't the lounge, afterall) but damn folks. Damn.

Glad I have the tank and good family/friends right now. The world continues to show that it is a terrible place. I'll avoid political discussions (this isn't the lounge, afterall) but damn folks. Damn.

Yeah, crazy crazy stuff. After the impact that the Sandy Hook shootings had up here, I have a totally different outlook on the world. A personal close family friend was the former principal and stepped back in after that whole tragedy.

Are you going to use the Reefcleaners on this tank or the new office one?

Haha or maybe both with all of that!

Both! The office one is going to have like 3 lbs of rock, lol. Only a little 3g pico. I'll use the rest to rescape my main tank. I am probably going to move a bunch of stuff over to the pico while I do that, just to make sure nothing dies.

Also, randomly, as much as I typically am not a fan of the designer clowns (even though I ended up with a mocha - asked for a regular, they bagged it and sold it to the wrong person, and I ended up with Hermie), I really like those longfin clowns that people are breeding now. I think I might get one eventually - they sort of have the marine betta look without the requirements of an actual marine betta (which totally rock).

It is currently 80 degrees in the upstairs of my place, with the AC set to 74 degrees. Wow! Talk about poor insulation

Yikes. That's hot. It's crazy humid up here today. Temp is only around 80 or so but the humidity is in the 80s as well.

Yikes. That's hot. It's crazy humid up here today. Temp is only around 80 or so but the humidity is in the 80s as well.

Yeah, our humidity is usually 80 or more. Good ol' North Carolina. Was around 96 today, over 100 with the heat index.

Congrats Adam. Lets get a new NB unit over a pico. :D

-Dave

Thanks - was actually going to contact you soon. Woke up this morning to a broken scooter that someone had tried to steal and my wife's bike stolen from out patio. Womp womp. Let me get all this figured out and then I'll be sending you info on the Tide I want ;)

Yeah, our humidity is usually 80 or more. Good ol' North Carolina. Was around 96 today, over 100 with the heat index.

That's just gross. I hate weather like that. You walk outside and feel like you can't breathe.

Thanks - was actually going to contact you soon. Woke up this morning to a broken scooter that someone had tried to steal and my wife's bike stolen from out patio. Womp womp. Let me get all this figured out and then I'll be sending you info on the Tide I want ;)

Oh no! That is terrible. Not the contacting Dave part - I fully approve!

That's just gross. I hate weather like that. You walk outside and feel like you can't breathe.

Oh no! That is terrible. Not the contacting Dave part - I fully approve!

Yeah, people are dumb.

HarryPotter

Yeah, people are dumb.

Very!

I'm shocked you're not building your own fixture from V3 arrays at this point :)

Tide is pretty damn sexy though

Very!

I'm shocked you're not building your own fixture from V3 arrays at this point :)

Tide is pretty damn sexy though

To be honest DIY costs pretty much the same as a pre-made unit (I don't have tools or supplies) for me, and for what I need out of a light the Tide has more than enough.

What! Shucks that's no good.

Prolly need to install a motion sensor light outside and put Tyler there too.

I mean Tucker. The Dog.

What! Shucks that's no good.

Prolly need to install a motion sensor light outside and put Tyler there too.

I mean Tucker. The Dog.

The craziest thing is that he usually barks at everything. He's great at alerting us, but he must have been dead asleep or something. We would like a motion sensor, so we are going to ask our landlord now for one. Usually we lock the patio up, but we hadn't last night. Womp womp. Just a number of things that lead to it. Going hunting for the bike tonight, though. Not going to do anything stupid, but I'm keeping an eye out. If I find it I'm going to call the police and have them get it back for me.

Here is my new office area! I signed the acceptance letter yesterday and officially start July 1! It's all coming together.

mi2IKqj.jpg

Plenty of space for aquariums... ;)

Tank update: My tank is looking good overall. The Blueberry gorg is actually ok? It opens up and seems to be alive and well - for now at least. I keep expecting it to just croak. My cespitularia has died for some reason. Every other coral, including the pulsing xenia, seems to be open and happy, but the cespitularia just died. Weird.

Nice space! I vote a Mr Aqua 22g long

Hahaha, nah - I'm moving a pico there and I may move the IM10 for a temporary home until the heat wave dies a bit here. It's constantly ~80 degrees upstairs in our place because of poor insulation, but I don't think our landlords are going to want to fix that any time soon, lol

or a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long.... :D

lol nope. I'm going to use everything I already have left over from my previous pico, so the tank has to work with what I have. A 22L or 12L would work with the HOB and power heads, but the light I have is pretty much only for 12" cubes or smaller.

lol nope. I'm going to use everything I already have left over from my previous pico, so the tank has to work with what I have. A 22L or 12L would work with the HOB and power heads, but the light I have is pretty much only for 12" cubes or smaller.

oh, allllll right. Be a buzz-kill. Fine. I thought it would be fun to have dueling 12 Ls.

(.... but that is pretty logical and smart - I have to admit)

The craziest thing is that he usually barks at everything. He's great at alerting us, but he must have been dead asleep or something. We would like a motion sensor, so we are going to ask our landlord now for one. Usually we lock the patio up, but we hadn't last night. Womp womp. Just a number of things that lead to it. Going hunting for the bike tonight, though. Not going to do anything stupid, but I'm keeping an eye out. If I find it I'm going to call the police and have them get it back for me.

take pictures before you call the poh-lice.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived