inTank Media Baskets

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The challenge with the tunze nano is keeping snails out of the mechanical sensor, and there's no overflow sensor,just a timer. I use the full size version on my IM10 and I love it. I used an air valve on the water feed line to slow down the flow and is been 100% reliable forever.

The challenge with the tunze nano is keeping snails out of the mechanical sensor, and there's no overflow sensor,just a timer. I use the full size version on my IM10 and I love it. I used an air valve on the water feed line to slow down the flow and is been 100% reliable forever.

Yeah, I'll probably figure out a way to use the tunze 3152 version. I can keep snails out if need be ;)

if they are indeed the spring type relays a simple fix may be to stretch out the spring a bit and wedge it back into place. Worst case scenario is you stretch it too much on your first attempt and the relay fails off instead of on like it has been. It should be normally off for its application and based on failure symptoms.

Here's an example but your relay is likely way smaller so may not be worth tinkering with it

http://351winsor.com/joel/Electrical/NC_5prong_relay.jpg

Where will I see the spring? There is no spring anywhere I can see

Mine would not turn off for some reason. It's not due to snails. It's not due to detritus. I cleaned it all around and inside, and it would still fail. Worst part is it would RANDOMLY fail. I would wake up in the middle of the night with the reservoir running dry and pump keeps on pumping. It happened 3-4 times and I finally gave up. It only has one float switch and a 3 min max timer. But in 3 mins, it can easily overflow a nano tank. Luckily, my reservoir is very small so it never flooded my place.

It's very possible I got a lemon since I got it used.

jedimasterben

If I were going to buy an ATO, I wouldn't buy one that used float switches. If you're already planning on $110 for the Tunze 3152 (with a single float switch), I would spend another $40 and get the SmartATO that has a sensor.

Is the relay in the ato an ice cube relay with a plastic cover over it? On one the spring is located at the non contact side of the copper strip. If there is no spring the copper strip is just under tension and the relay is def shot. Should be able to see something similar to that diagram inside the ice cube relay if it's clear, may or may not be able to take the cover off it. If the relay has specs printed on it you may be able to buy a replacement that's probably higher quality from like automation direct

My tunze has been going nuts too...I'm assuming its because of all these baby trochus snails I have...and it really sucked haha. Literally added about a gallon and a half o RO into the tank..Im going to make some sort of mesh guard to keep them out!

Circle_City_Bill

Displeased with the Tunze Nano, I decided to use a basic LiterMeter pump on a timer (RKL) for ato. Rate of evaporation seems fairly constant and adjustments to the timer cycle are easy enough to make that I can adjust the daily volume added as required. Sure beats having that large float switch in the DT.

Mine would not turn off for some reason. It's not due to snails. It's not due to detritus. I cleaned it all around and inside, and it would still fail. Worst part is it would RANDOMLY fail. I would wake up in the middle of the night with the reservoir running dry and pump keeps on pumping. It happened 3-4 times and I finally gave up. It only has one float switch and a 3 min max timer. But in 3 mins, it can easily overflow a nano tank. Luckily, my reservoir is very small so it never flooded my place.

It's very possible I got a lemon since I got it used.

Hmmm, that is essentially what happened with my jbj. 3 minutes is a long time in these little tanks

If I were going to buy an ATO, I wouldn't buy one that used float switches. If you're already planning on $110 for the Tunze 3152 (with a single float switch), I would spend another $40 and get the SmartATO that has a sensor.

I had originally wanted the smart ato, but some reviews all had the same issue - power failing within 3 months and virtually no warranty to cover this. The tunze seems risky though

Is the relay in the ato an ice cube relay with a plastic cover over it? On one the spring is located at the non contact side of the copper strip. If there is no spring the copper strip is just under tension and the relay is def shot. Should be able to see something similar to that diagram inside the ice cube relay if it's clear, may or may not be able to take the cover off it. If the relay has specs printed on it you may be able to buy a replacement that's probably higher quality from like automation direct

I cant find any printed specs but when i open it up, i see no spring. There is a white box with red tape over it that might contain the relay inside but i am not going to take that off because i dont know what it is

The puratek ATO uses external sensors rather than the internal switches

I've looked at those, but I'm not spending $230 for and ato for this tank ;)

I use the Smart ATO, and love it. Low profile, no mechanical switches, and it'll shut off automatically and sound an alarm if it runs for 15 seconds.. I've seen it do this a few times when I forget to unplug it during a water change. It'll also beep if the reservoir is empty. It's less than a year old, but I count it as one of the best purchases I've made.

I 2nd that I too love my smart ATO. Mine has performed perfectly as well but it also is less than a year old. I got it for Christmas.

I love my full size tunze osmolator but if I was buying another ato the smart ato would be it, although mine has run flawlessly for longer than the smart has been on the market so it's pretty awesome imo.

HarryPotter

I love my full size tunze osmolator but if I was buying another ato the smart ato would be it, although mine has run flawlessly for longer than the smart has been on the market so it's pretty awesome imo.

Ditto! I have a used Osmulator that has been perfect. So good that I never installed my puratek!

I use the Smart ATO, and love it. Low profile, no mechanical switches, and it'll shut off automatically and sound an alarm if it runs for 15 seconds.. I've seen it do this a few times when I forget to unplug it during a water change. It'll also beep if the reservoir is empty. It's less than a year old, but I count it as one of the best purchases I've made.

oh so that's what that 15 second alarm is for. :blush:

Just finished my final set of emails with JBJ on the ATO. They told me that it's probably better to just buy a new ATO rather than troubleshoot this one. I could buy new switches, I could send the ATO to them to test, or I could just buy a new one considering the age of this one. I think I will be buying a new ATO ;)

It beeps if the ATO runs for longer than 15 seconds?? Can that be changed or turned off? 15 seconds is not that long...

Things have been crazy busy here lately. Parents came to visit, major spring/summer cleaning, work has been busy, etc. I haven't had much time to check on the tank save feeding every day or other day. I turned my pumps off last night to feed the tank about 9:15 when only my blues were on and fading, and totally forgot to turn them back on until today about 10:30am :( Lights were still off, and most of the coral were fine, but a few were pretty pissed. Whoops! ;)

HarryPotter

Things have been crazy busy here lately. Parents came to visit, major spring/summer cleaning, work has been busy, etc. I haven't had much time to check on the tank save feeding every day or other day. I turned my pumps off last night to feed the tank about 9:15 when only my blues were on and fading, and totally forgot to turn them back on until today about 10:30am :( Lights were still off, and most of the coral were fine, but a few were pretty pissed. Whoops! ;)

You'll get the rocks today or tomorrow :), so life will get even more hectic!

You'll get the rocks today or tomorrow :), so life will get even more hectic!

hopefully today! Looking forward to figuring out a new scape.

Started actually looking at the woodworking book my wife gave me for christmas. Beginning to plan my future stand. Jedimasterben sent me to NGaHB's gorgeous stand and that thing is a true work of art. I am going to use that as an inspiration - especially the separate electronics compartment. Mine is still different but i will definitely be using his amazing work as an idea! Cant hold a candle to that guy!

23 lbs of reefcleaners dry rock came yesterday. All packaged REALLY well - almost TOO well. Going to dig it out tonight and see what it looks like and try and start forming a decent scape.

HarryPotter

23 lbs of reefcleaners dry rock came yesterday. All packaged REALLY well - almost TOO well. Going to dig it out tonight and see what it looks like and try and start forming a decent scape.

Haha i think there was 3 pounds ReefCleaners and 20 LBS bubble wrap and packaging peanuts! Excited to see what you come up with :)

Got the green light from HR today on the Marine Sciences job. I start in 2 weeks! Had lunch with the other postdocs today, including the one who samples SPS from all over the world. She's cool. I'm looking forward to setting up my pico and getting her knowledge. Going to try and get some SPS samples from their lab when they finish with them :D

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived