ReefCleaners.org

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

Sweet. I'll look into the rio and the koralia. I have the koralia 250 (or whatever it is) but it doesnt have much flexibility.

I had to keep my wp10 on the lowest level and it was still a little much, buy my corals didnt seem to mind the flow. Funny though, they dont seem to mind having NO extra flow either, but they hated the koralia flow. Lol

Fickle things...........

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet. I'll look into the rio and the koralia. I have the koralia 250 (or whatever it is) but it doesnt have much flexibility.

I had to keep my wp10 on the lowest level and it was still a little much, buy my corals didnt seem to mind the flow. Funny though, they dont seem to mind having NO extra flow either, but they hated the koralia flow. Lol

Fickle things...........

Yeah, I went to the ecotech website where they have the flow calculator and I put in the tank dimensions and a single MP10 and the minimum flow in the tank was like 4 times the recommended amount for SPS. I decided to scale it back. I'll bet you end up with happier corals long term in less overall flow than with the WP10.

jedimasterben

Yeah, I went to the ecotech website where they have the flow calculator and I put in the tank dimensions and a single MP10 and the minimum flow in the tank was like 4 times the recommended amount for SPS. I decided to scale it back. I'll bet you end up with happier corals long term in less overall flow than with the WP10.

Don't forget that the MP10 is vastly superior when it comes to control and the WP10 is not - the WP series can't really go below 50% output, the MP10 can go down to ~9%.

Don't forget that the MP10 is vastly superior when it comes to control and the WP10 is not - the WP series can't really go below 50% output, the MP10 can go down to ~9%.

Sure, but the point is still that if ecotech says the MP10 is too much for the IM10, then the WP10 is too.

jedimasterben

Sure, but the point is still that if ecotech says the MP10 is too much for the IM10, then the WP10 is too.

... at full speed. ;)

... at full speed. ;)

+1

I temporarily had it on a 8g AIO, and just turned it down to a nice GPH.

Say what you want, the RW-4 on lowest setting (200gph) was brutal in my tank. So was my koralia Nano at 240gph. The lowest setting on the MP10 is 200ish, yeah? Too much. Coral may deal with it, but thrive they will not. at 12x12x12 display, the ~90 gph from the return pump plus 200+ gph is too much flow for most coral except some SPS. Even there, you have to turn off all the pumps in order for them to be able to capture any prey.

HarryPotter

Say what you want, the RW-4 on lowest setting (200gph) was brutal in my tank. So was my koralia Nano at 240gph. The lowest setting on the MP10 is 200ish, yeah? Too much. Coral may deal with it, but thrive they will not. at 12x12x12 display, the ~90 gph from the return pump plus 200+ gph is too much flow for most coral except some SPS. Even there, you have to turn off all the pumps in order for them to be able to capture any prey.

I don't know; the tank was softies and 100% fine. If you have the foam cover on it, expect 40% less flow. That may be where the 100ish GPH comes in

I don't know; the tank was softies and 100% fine. If you have the foam cover on it, expect 40% less flow. That may be where the 100ish GPH comes in

Ecotech's website calculator says SPS would be recommended at 280 gph in this tank. With the stock pump and the MP10 on lowest setting that is 280, well below the optimal range for the MP10. LPS and softies are lower (168 gph for LPS). Again, the coral may be ok, but thriving and optimal growth are not the same as tolerating. Corals get lots of flow in the ocean, but not direct jets of water.

I have a MP10 in a Nuvo 10 tank. I run it with the speed on the 5th light. No problems with sand blowing around and it doesn't feel extreme by any means. I run it full time in reef crest mode.

I have the MP10 in my 10g Fusion and it works great set on about 3, reef crest mode. Much higher and I agree it would be too much.

I have set it higher with the foam filter on, though, since that inhibits the flow.

I have a MP10 in a Nuvo 10 tank. I run it with the speed on the 5th light. No problems with sand blowing around and it doesn't feel extreme by any means. I run it full time in reef crest mode.

It still seems like way too much flow.

MP10 at the lowest speed is very gentle, you should get one.

I refuse to spend that much on a water mover for such a small tank, lol.

I have the MP10 in my 10g Fusion and it works great set on about 3, reef crest mode. Much higher and I agree it would be too much.

I have set it higher with the foam filter on, though, since that inhibits the flow.

I'm still skeptical. I feel like the foam is asking for trouble.

I agree - that's why I took the foam off and run it on 3. But I agree it's a lot of money just to move water in a 10g tank :)

I agree - that's why I took the foam off and run it on 3. But I agree it's a lot of money just to move water in a 10g tank :)

if i had one already, i would absolutely try it. Hell i tried different RW4 modes and accidentally went all the way up and threw a bunch of water out of my tank, lol. If i can find one locally, not wireless, for cheap, i may pick one up. Bigger tanks like them ;)

I just remembered I hadn't cleaned the sand in my tank in a while. So I cranked the MP10 up to about 5, and used the turkey baster to stir up the sand. It was just the right amount of flow to get all the crud suspended in the water so it could get filtered out, without blowing everything away :)

HarryPotter

I just got a new Vortech Mp40w QuietDrive for a 45 gallon tank- I'll let you know how that goes. Boy is it quiet!

I just remembered I hadn't cleaned the sand in my tank in a while. So I cranked the MP10 up to about 5, and used the turkey baster to stir up the sand. It was just the right amount of flow to get all the crud suspended in the water so it could get filtered out, without blowing everything away :)

nice! Well shoot, now you are making me want an MP10 wired

I just got a new Vortech Mp40w QuietDrive for a 45 gallon tank- I'll let you know how that goes. Boy is it quiet!

awesome! Im interested in the quiet drive thing. What do they mean by quiet? The MP series was loud?
HarryPotter

awesome! Im interested in the quiet drive thing. What do they mean by quiet? The MP series was loud?

No, the MP series is pretty silent. However some have said that they can (Barely) hear a high pitched whirring when it gets above 80%

The Quiet-Drive model has about 40% more flow and 50% less noise at higher speeds. Im not sure if the MP40w QD will be overkill on a 45 gallon, but hopefully it will be the sole flow-device if I can program it right.

The Quiet Drive is nice for those with bigger tanks that have larger pumps or can crank them up higher. But at anything below 6 or 7 my standard MP10 is basically silent already.

Well hopefully, the non-quiet drive, wired MP10 will drop in price around the internet, with companies trying to sell off their stock because of the new items. I doubt it, but maybe.

Well hopefully, the non-quiet drive, wired MP10 will drop in price around the internet, with companies trying to sell off their stock because of the new items. I doubt it, but maybe.

What's your budget on the mp10?

What's your budget on the mp10?

I don't necessarily have a budget. I don't need one, my tank is fine without it. It's simply a matter of whether or not I find a decent price on one. I can only find the MP10wES online for sale, the wired version is discontinued.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived