SaltCritters.com

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

CronicReefer

There is some small white hair/root-like strands showing up, though. They are hard to picture as they are all in areas my phone camera won't focus on (of course...) Kat says not to worry too much about it, that she doesn't think it's invasive, so that's good.

The hairs are there in the center of this picture

The roots are also here under the gorg/epoxy (sorry for the awful picture - they are really small and hard for the camera to focus on)

They show up from time to time in my tank. They may spread quickly but they always end up dying off eventually. Not really sure what they are still but they are strange.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have those all over my rock. Normal. They will come and go as your tank changes over time. I suspect they're some kind of sponge.

Tank looks very happy Doc. Glad you didn't re-start it.

Tank is looking good. I am glad you didnt re-start it either :-)

Thanks - though in a way, I did with the >50% water change.

They show up from time to time in my tank. They may spread quickly but they always end up dying off eventually. Not really sure what they are still but they are strange.

I have those all over my rock. Normal. They will come and go as your tank changes over time. I suspect they're some kind of sponge.

Good to know!

Skimmer still isn't collecting anything. I can't raise the water level in the rear chambers much because it'll go over the 2nd baffle, completely making the 2nd/3rd chambers a single chamber. Sort of defeats the purpose I think...

The Mame skimmer sits about 8" under water, so I wonder if that will help. Because I've purchased an oxydator from Saltwater conversion, have participated in the oxydator thread here, and have taken the SC.com survey on them, my name has been entered into a random drawing for a mame skimmer. If I win, I'm going to swap it out and see if the mame helps me over the PicO.

I also have some big job-related changes coming, but the important part is that I will working with marine microbiology for a time and will have my own office, in which I can put a pico! Besides the research being cool, having my own office and being able to have a picotope in there will be awesome. I think I am going to use a JBJ 3g or I'm going to go with an ADA glass cubes 4 gallon cube. I'll rock the AC70 I have, and the PicO Skim will absolutely work, but I might try and get an overflow box type of thing (like the AC boxes PicO makes) to hide the skimmer? Maybe I could purchase a custom box from Chris at PicO that keeps the skimmer AND the AC70 intake tube hidden? I will probably just use my CC par30 bulb for the time being, definitely go bare-bottom, and pretty much have corals and maybe a pompom crab and a small goby.

what about putting a piece of acrylic, even a credit card cut to size on the baffle to raise the height of the baffle?

In my pico i used magnet to hold this "gate" in place, it allowed me to raise the water level in the tank.

20140722_123502.jpg

You can see the magnet against the grate back there

20140805_181513.jpg

This was the water level before i installed the gate.

20140714_161338.jpg

what about putting a piece of acrylic, even a credit card cut to size on the baffle to raise the height of the baffle?

In my pico i used magnet to hold this "gate" in place, it allowed me to raise the water level in the tank.

20140722_123502.jpg

You can see the magnet against the grate back there

20140805_181513.jpg

This was the water level before i installed the gate.

20140714_161338.jpg

I tried this before with a piece of acrylic, but it doesn't help too much in my tank. It also happened to be right around the time of the 2 floods I had and so I ended up removing them so that the tank would be flood-proof. Now that I know it was an ATO problem, I might give it a try again.

in some of the photos I've seen the look like ABS plastic. Only drawback is the texture of the abs makes it hard to keep clean.

in some of the photos I've seen the look like ABS plastic. Only drawback is the texture of the abs makes it hard to keep clean.

I'll just buy some black acrylic and cut it myself.

I ordered an intank mediabasket so I don't have floss and carbon just sitting in the back oddly. I also made a new baffle extension and figured out why it wasn't working before... Derpy tibbs is a derpface. I made it too tall. The previous attempt at making a baffle didn't quite work because I couldn't cut the plastic pieces correctly and so the water would sort of flow around them. But the biggest issue, the one that makes me a derp, is that I didn't realize I had made the baffle so tall that it actually extended above the display area's water line. Well, that means no water will EVER go over the top of the baffle because the water can't ever go above the display water line without a pump of some kind. Duh. So I recut the plastic and fixed it in place and it seems to be working now. Skimmer isn't any different yet, but we'll see!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I think I can actually mention this now as it's almost official. As of July I will be starting a new postdoc position. I'm still looking for other jobs, but in the meantime, this is a great opportunity. For those who know me, I am a medical microbiologist, but what most people don't know is that I started with marine microbial ecology. I did this work as an undergrad a while back and recently have met up with some people (they were graduate students, now are faculty) who are starting up their labs in marine microbial ecology and they have offered me a temporary postdoc position in their labs. I get some more time to find a real job and they get someone with 10 years of research experience to help get their labs off the ground while they handle all the grants, paperwork, and accounting stuff.

So as of July, I will be a marine microbial ecologist for a little while (probably about a year at most). This is great for a number of reasons (mainly because the stuff I'll be learning to do are techniques that are broadly applicable to all microbiology, medial or otherwise - high throughput sequencing, transcriptomics, etc), but important to these forums, I will be sampling via SCUBA diving many ocean sites, we may even begin growing certain corals in lab to investigate bacterial interactions with the coral and possible diseases, and I get my own office in which I have already been given permission (though it was more like "PLEASE DO THAT NAO") to have a salt water tank. I will be moving departments which will be hard for a medical-minded guy like myself, but I will have access to all the coral scientists and marine science folks around here. It's a dream job for me right now!

I'll be adding another tank it seems. I've been asking in the pico threads for some ideas and I have some (possibly purchasing a bowfront Mr Aqua from jedimasterben), but basically I have everything to set up a new pico except the tank itself, and I will be sharing an office with another postdoc who studies coral growth and the effects of changing water conditions on corals (SPS, LPS, and softies) so she'll be a great resource for me!

DurocShark

Awesome, man! Another line in the resume! WOOT!

Wait, that doesn't mean you'll be too busy to post here, does it? Because if so, BOO!

;)

GL with the postdoc! It sounds like a great opportunity!

Thanks :) This one has been fun but really hard. I'm looking for a bit of a change of scenery and subject for a little while.

Awesome, man! Another line in the resume! WOOT!

Wait, that doesn't mean you'll be too busy to post here, does it? Because if so, BOO!

;)

lol thanks. I'm already a postdoc, it's just a different postdoc now. Same idea, different department, and instead of studying bacteria that kill people, I'll be studying bacteria in the ocean,

Congratulations on the new opportunity! And I'm looking forward to the build thread for your new tank :)

Congratulations on the new opportunity! And I'm looking forward to the build thread for your new tank :)

Thanks - my job will be to culture currently unculturable bacteria. The first samples I am looking at were just collected last week from 4500m below the surface of the Atlantic Ocean. Super pumped to see if I can get anything to grow :)

As for another thread... we'll see about that. I may just end up putting it in this thread to keep it all sane.

Congrats Tibbsy! I'm jealous! I wish I never got a real job... :tears:

Ha thanks! I mean a real job in that I get paid a real salary for working 50-60 hours a week, lol. Postdocs are basically cheap CHEAP labor for labs.

Moving on up!! Congrats man!

Thanks! It's the same pay, same University, same job title, same benefits, everything. The only thing that is different is the bacteria I'll be studying.

congrats Adam!

Thanks!

You got fresh biofilm from the ocean? :o

I'm so glad we are friends. I'll take all your extra cooties. Kthxbai.

ha, these are planktonic (free swimming) samples. Dunno if anything will grow yet.

New fts:

daGGwhT.jpg

Came across this lovely situation last night, lol. Apparently one of the shrooms decided to go find another place to stay and wound up in the mouth of a paly

INVUYsg.jpg

Lookin good!

Question, is that the stock pump you have in the tank for extra flow? My WP10 crapped out a couple weeks ago, and I threw a koralia in there to replace, but I am not happy with the flow and angle I get from it. Deciding weather to buy an RW-4 or maybe just try another option.

Lookin good!

Question, is that the stock pump you have in the tank for extra flow? My WP10 crapped out a couple weeks ago, and I threw a koralia in there to replace, but I am not happy with the flow and angle I get from it. Deciding weather to buy an RW-4 or maybe just try another option.

I use the stock pump in the rear chambers for return flow, but the other pump is a rio 50+ powerhead, 69gph. I use it for extra flow. I have an RW-4, but the tank HATES it. Too small of an area, even on the lowest setting (200gph). I found my corals were always damaged or angry. I expect a WP10/MP10/etc would all be the same. Get a koralia 180 pico, as the angle can be altered. That's as much flow as I would ever put in the tank. My rio 50+ is great, though. Enough flow but not too much. I may actually move it a bit so that the GSP get a bit more flow.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived