ReefCleaners.org

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

I too had this same issue. It's why I stopped using it. ExtraxPhos is a much better product, I run it 24/7 with zero issues.

When did you put the phosguard in? I tried to use phosguard once to help with silcates, but it pissed off all my corals, big time. Similar to your description, my zoos all closed up and my other corals were just generally unhappy looking.

I removed the phosguard, did a water change, and everything started perking back up. Since then, I have steered clear of it, only using chemipure and purigen. Maybe the phosguard is pissing off your corals.

Started a few days ago when I did my water change and added the phosguard. Only used a teaspoon or so. Going to take it out tonight. I have to actually refresh the purigen (already bleached, now I need to rinse in water/prime), so I'll add that back now that its good to go.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CronicReefer

Started a few days ago when I did my water change and added the phosguard. Only used a teaspoon or so. Going to take it out tonight. I have to actually refresh the purigen (already bleached, now I need to rinse in water/prime), so I'll add that back now that its good to go.

You live life dangerously with that purigen regeneration. I almost crashed my tank one time when I didn't quite get all the bleach out. I think it says not use it more than 4 days at a time for the phosguard though. It always made my corals react somewhat negatively.

You live life dangerously with that purigen regeneration. I almost crashed my tank one time when I didn't quite get all the bleach out. I think it says not use it more than 4 days at a time for the phosguard though. It always made my corals react somewhat negatively.

I just OD the prime. Let it sit a bit longer.

Ok, so I need a new CUC. Time to refresh these little dudes. Here is my dilemma (as always)...

Live-plants.com was recommended to me by Kat. LP sells nerites, stocky ceriths, ceriths, and dwarf ceriths - all snails very beneficial to the tank. I have added 4 of each in my basket for a total of $6.40 for the snails and $14.50 shipping, for a total of $20.90.

Reefcleaners (whom I normally order from) has a 5.5g package of cleaners which contains dwarf ceriths, nassarius, florida ceriths, and nerite snails. We all know John can't count so even though you only get 5, 2, 4, and 3, respectively - you always end up with TONS. If I go to the 10g package, I'd get the same snails but in 10, 3, 6, and 4 for $18.50. Both of these packages include priority shipping IN the price.

Thoughts?

Tibbsy, I've ordered both sizes for my two tanks. Since you get more than enough snails with either option, the biggest difference to me was that the nerites were much larger in the 10g package. The nerites in the little package were about 1/2" in diameter, and the ones in the 10g package were well over an inch.

The biggest difference with the LP order is that you won't get any nassarius. Personally, I like them because they stay below the sand and keep things stirred up a little bit. Plus it's fun to watch them surface like little submarines :)

Tibbsy, I've ordered both sizes for my two tanks. Since you get more than enough snails with either option, the biggest difference to me was that the nerites were much larger in the 10g package. The nerites in the little package were about 1/2" in diameter, and the ones in the 10g package were well over an inch.

The biggest difference with the LP order is that you won't get any nassarius. Personally, I like them because they stay below the sand and keep things stirred up a little bit. Plus it's fun to watch them surface like little submarines :)

Yeah, I think the 18 dollar package is the best bet. I'll give away the excess to the LFS or a reefer.

Awesome! Look out for stowaway hermits :)

Always do. I'll give them away with the extra snails to the LFS.

John emailed me, not shipping until Monday for some reason.

So I'm about to go on a rant about "Good" Friday. Basically the short of it is that I am going to have to reorder my reefcleaners order... I wasted 20 bucks. It turns out the University I work at is closed on good friday, for some stupid reason. I had the snails shipped here to me, so that they would be safe from weather, etc. They would come to me, and I would make sure my package was safe. Ooooooh, but that was not to be apparently. USPS still delivers on good friday because it's technically not a federal holiday. BUT... The university mail system doesn't deliver, soooo.... The snails are going to end up locked up in a room I can't have access to because the University is closed. The snails won't get to me now until monday, which means they will all be dead. What a waste of life and 20 bucks. Ugh. I am so beyond pissed off right now. I've called both the local USPS branch and the University office for mail and there is nothing anyone can do, apparently.

Seriously. I had the package shipped to my "office" and I can show them all the IDs they need - driver's license, work ID, University ID but they can't/won't do anything for me.

There is a chance they will live provided there is enough oxygen in the bag, especially in the air in the bag, but most likely they will be dead.

Seriously. I had the package shipped to my "office" and I can show them all the IDs they need - driver's license, work ID, University ID but they can't/won't do anything for me.

that's stupid :rant:

If it makes you feel better...I think I OD'ed my tank with peroxide. About two capfuls in the 2G...the zoanthids were PISSED. Not sure about hermits, snails, and Pom Pom crab :(

And of course...out of town for a week and can't even check in on them.

jedimasterben

If it makes you feel better...I think I OD'ed my tank with peroxide. About two capfuls in the 2G...the zoanthids were PISSED. Not sure about hermits, snails, and Pom Pom crab :(

Pompom is probably toast, but the rest will be fine.

That really sucks. I assume UPS won't hold it for you at their facility because it's already shipped?

USPS will not let me pick it up at the facility because it's to the University. HOWEVER - I didn't have it shipped TO the University as an entity, I had it shipped to ME at the University and there is no actual mention of the University on the label/shipping info. I'm going to call USPS as SOON as I find out that it has arrived at their facility and ask that it be held for me. That's my only option.

Oh noooooo :( Sorry E...

Hopefully you can catch it and have them hold it for you at thier facility. :(

hopefully...

My tank is really unhappy...

Parameters are all ok, but the tank isn't looking good.

Salinity 1.026

Temp 79

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

Phosphates 0

Ca 400ish

Mg 1300-1400

pH 8

dKh 7.6 (low, yes but no sps)

O4tHeHC.jpg

Acan looked like it was healing but now is totally gone, now the other is unhappy...

8osyHDl.jpg

Xenia look atrocious...

Ok, Ben says these aren't xenia but cespitularia (still part of the same family). It is dying either way. Any ideas?

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that things aren't getting better :(

I'm sure folks that are more experienced than me may have better ideas, but, personally, if it was me, I'd try to simplify and eliminate variables.

Siphon the water out, take the rocks and corals out and put them in the bucket of old water. Dump the sand in a bucket and use some of the old water to rinse it out really well, and use the opportunity to clean all the nooks and crannies of the tank and the back chambers with old water. Put everything back in with maybe a gallon or two of old water, and fill it up the rest of the way with new water. Maybe simplify your filtration and just use a small amount of carbon and floss.

It would be a huge PITA to do this in a big tank but it's easy in a 10g tank. And I can tell you from experience, having done this three times now, everything looked 100% better 12 hours later.

PS: did you recently put in some regenerated purigen? Any chance that might be the problem?

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that things aren't getting better :(

I'm sure folks that are more experienced than me may have better ideas, but, personally, if it was me, I'd try to simplify and eliminate variables.

Siphon the water out, take the rocks and corals out and put them in the bucket of old water. Dump the sand in a bucket and use some of the old water to rinse it out really well, and use the opportunity to clean all the nooks and crannies of the tank and the back chambers with old water. Put everything back in with maybe a gallon or two of old water, and fill it up the rest of the way with new water. Maybe simplify your filtration and just use a small amount of carbon and floss.

It would be a huge PITA to do this in a big tank but it's easy in a 10g tank. And I can tell you from experience, having done this three times now, everything looked 100% better 12 hours later.

PS: did you recently put in some regenerated purigen? Any chance that might be the problem?

Yeah I was thinking of doing a major water change and cleaning stuff up big time. I did actually just add regenerated purigen, though I made sure the give it extra time in the prime solution, but I suppose the prime solution could be affecting it?
Marc.The.Shark

Man, I've always been scared of regenerating that stuff & sticking it back in my tank! Just been buying new, but switched over to Chem Blue. I'm scared I won't get all the bleach out & crash my tank. Too much money invested. Rather just buy new & be safe.

Just a side note Tibbs, but you don't have any funny fittings like stainless or brass on anything do you? Long shot probably, but worthit to ask.

I'm with Marc, I used to regenerate purigen but after I found out that a lot of bleaches at the grocery store were the "no spill" kind with detergent in them, I got too paranoid. No amount of prime will detox that. Just not worth the risk.

I guess it's possible that too much prime could hurt the tank - I've never done any research on that particular failure mode.

Man, I've always been scared of regenerating that stuff & sticking it back in my tank! Just been buying new, but switched over to Chem Blue. I'm scared I won't get all the bleach out & crash my tank. Too much money invested. Rather just buy new & be safe.

Just a side note Tibbs, but you don't have any funny fittings like stainless or brass on anything do you? Long shot probably, but worthit to ask.

nope, no metals. Think I am going to try and hold off on the Purigen after the big water change, just in case. Use peroxide to regenerate it from now on.

I'm with Marc, I used to regenerate purigen but after I found out that a lot of bleaches at the grocery store were the "no spill" kind with detergent in them, I got too paranoid. No amount of prime will detox that. Just not worth the risk.

I guess it's possible that too much prime could hurt the tank - I've never done any research on that particular failure mode.

Yeah, we have regular old bleach, but it could have something else in it.
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived