SaltCritters.com

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

it's not you. i have lost my fair shares of zoas. *sigh*.

I love the little bastards, but dang... they are FINNICKY buggers. Ugh.

I dont have a lot of luck with them either. I have a few that do really well, and I seem to have a little better luck with the larger palys than zoas, but for the most part, they do ok for a while, then bam, they just melt away. I had a nice little cluster of Sunny D's in my tank at work that were so gorgeous, and last week they closed up and melted away in a matter of a few days. Who knows. Zoas are fickle pickles. :-)

That's been my experience. A few do great and others start great and then just die off. So strange. I wonder if it has to do with the source?

I have heard you can use chemiclean as well to treat zoa pox/bacterial infections but I'm not sure if this as effective as the Furan dip method or not but always a possibility. Tank is starting to come together nicely as well.

Chemiclean could work, I suppose. I'd have to order that too. I ordered a 10-pack Furan-2 box. Should be here early next week. Zoas today actually looked like the pox were going away? Very strange. I hope it's not nudi eggs. Haven't seen anything that would indicate nudis, but who knows.

+1 on the furan 2. It's worked really well for me.

Word. Thanks. I'll give it a go when it comes in.

I might have acquired a pair of frags that may have zoa pox. I am obtaining Furan 2 to treat them. Your tank isn't ugly btw. (from the ugly tank thread) It just needs growing out.

As for Diatoms, I just went through that phase, it ended and so far so good. I think there is a little but not as much. Your tank is gonna be cute <3

I've done the Furan 2 thing too. It worked fine but it seems that the zoa pox always comes back sooner or later, so you may have to do it again.

Be patient with the diatoms, they will go away eventually as your tank matures <_<

I'm ok doing multiple treatments. I may go a bit more aggressively. I wonder what ACTUALLY causes them? They say bacteria, but what kind?

maybe you need to practice more with the other corals, then ZOA's may not be so hard. Also your tank looks pretty well patience is key :)

Possibly. All the coral in my tank like the same general water conditions - moderate flow (except the rics/shrooms), good light and water that isn't too clean. In theory they should all be happy and all but the zoas are. I removed the phosguard from my chemical media set so I just have purigen and MatrixCarbon in the back. Hopefully this helps!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chemiclean could work, I suppose. I'd have to order that too. I ordered a 10-pack Furan-2 box. Should be here early next week. Zoas today actually looked like the pox were going away? Very strange. I hope it's not nudi eggs. Haven't seen anything that would indicate nudis, but who knows.

Come to think of it I have gotten zoas in the past that developed white spots after adding to my tank that went away a few days later (GI Joe morph). Definitely wasn't nudi eggs or zoa pox but was strange. I just like the idea of chemiclean because it can treat the whole tank and since zoa pox is gram negative chemiclean should do a good job of killing it off from the zoas and water column.

Zoa pox is caused by a Gram-negative bacterium? Which one?

Also, chemiclean is supposedly safe for all beneficial bacteria in the tank, suggesting it actually wouldn't kill anything other than the cyanobacteria. Interesting... The beneficial bacteria we have (Nitrobacter, Nitrosomonas, Nitrococcus) are all Gram-negative, so we don't want something that will preferentially kill Gram-negatives...

Now all my zoas are closed, but they seem to be pox-less? There aren't any white spots anymore (I may still do a treatment of the furan-2). My acans are also looking bad. The one that is usually open all the way is closed so much that it is actually IN its skeleton. Totally hidden away. The other one is out a bit, but the color is off. I checked temp and salinity and both are spot on. I'll have to do more tests when I get back from lab today.

Your ZOA's may make a complete recovery, I'd do another treatment to be sure all the pox are gone.

Haven't even done a treatment yet. Furan 2 hasn't come in yet.

On another note, my acans are either REALLY angry or they are being eaten. By what, I have no idea, as I've not added anything in weeks... You can see the skeleton of the acan on the left, it almost looks like the flesh has been cut away...

FaXMOat.jpg

Go look at the tank at dark, after its been dark for around 2 hours, the creature with the munchies, assuming its a macroscopic creature should be able to be seen under dim lighting if you have a sharp eye out for it. Also what is in the rocks now as cuc and hitchhikers?

Go look at the tank at dark, after its been dark for around 2 hours, the creature with the munchies, assuming its a macroscopic creature should be able to be seen under dim lighting if you have a sharp eye out for it. Also what is in the rocks now as cuc and hitchhikers?

No hitch hikers, only CUC are some snails. I have a sexy shrimp and the clown. Other than that it's all corals. Nothing has been added in the last few weeks and that particular acan was looking great until 2 days ago. Then it started looking like that in the picture. Looks like bad tissue damage, but I'm not sure from what. Maybe the flow is too high there?

CronicReefer

Did you feed the acan any meaty food recently? Invertebrates will sometimes rip open acan mouths if they smell the food. Had my yellow tip hermit do this to two separate acan frags, your shrimp could be the culprit.

How are the zoas doing? Any sign of improvement? Just wondering if the two problems are somehow related. I've seen that kind of damage on my acans twice. The last time was due to stinger tentacles from my favites. The first time, though was when I had copper in the tank. It first manifested as a few of the corals getting receded, and then some chunks missing from the acans.

Just brainstorming, because the only corals you have close to the acans are your rics, which shouldn't be able to cause that kind of damage. And I've never seen a sexy shrimp that could take that big a bite out of an acan :(

Did you feed the acan any meaty food recently? Invertebrates will sometimes rip open acan mouths if they smell the food. Had my yellow tip hermit do this to two separate acan frags, your shrimp could be the culprit.

Actually, I spot fed reef frenzy to the acans the day before this occurred and the sexy shrimp was right there at the acan...
CronicReefer

Actually, I spot fed reef frenzy to the acans the day before this occurred and the sexy shrimp was right there at the acan...

Most likely the culprit. A single dwarf hermit shredded my two acan frags till they were nothing but skeleton. Keep the shrimp well fed and shouldn't be an issue in the future, he's not eating the acan flesh so you don't have to worry about it being predation.

How are the zoas doing? Any sign of improvement? Just wondering if the two problems are somehow related. I've seen that kind of damage on my acans twice. The last time was due to stinger tentacles from my favites. The first time, though was when I had copper in the tank. It first manifested as a few of the corals getting receded, and then some chunks missing from the acans.

Just brainstorming, because the only corals you have close to the acans are your rics, which shouldn't be able to cause that kind of damage. And I've never seen a sexy shrimp that could take that big a bite out of an acan :(

Zoas are doing better, no furan-2 dipping, just spot feeding. The furan-2 has come in, though, so I will probably begin treatment, just in case.

As for the sexy vs acan, Cronic seems to be correct. I was feeding the acan with phytochrom and reef frenzy and the sexy was RIGHT there. I had the pumps off so the food would remain in one spot and I guess the sexy got greedy and just picked over the acan and its food. Womp womp. Now to begin to hospital process ;)

Most likely the culprit. A single dwarf hermit shredded my two acan frags till they were nothing but skeleton. Keep the shrimp well fed and shouldn't be an issue in the future, he's not eating the acan flesh so you don't have to worry about it being predation.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy! I kept looking at the acan thinking "It can't be just receded... it looks like its been eaten, but by what??" Now I know... Dangit Beyonce!

CronicReefer

Beyonce was just too sexy for that acan ;). Tis the life of keeping hungry inverts but I think frags are just more prone to this than a colony simply because of their size. When I saw my hermit holding the whole frag plug (which was bigger than the hermit) while eating the food out of the acan I had just fed I was amazed and furious at the same time. Little bastard is my favorite one though so I spared his life.

I'm amazed at how much damage was done, especially considering Beyonce has been hanging out on pretty much all of my coral and there has never been so much as a pinch!

Now it's time to get these frags all healed...

Possibly. She eats when everything else eats, though. I usually feed the fish directly and everything else gets showered with extras from the fish food or I'll also feed with phytochrom or something.

So far no additional damage and Beyonce is back near the GSP like she normally is. Must have been me feeding LRS Reef Frenzy to the acans while she was standing by them.

Ugh, rough day. I am still barely able to enjoy my tank. It really, REALLY sucks. We're going out of town AGAIN this weekend too, heading to see our new nephew in Atlanta. Great and all, but between work and everything else, I literally spend about 2 hours a week with my tank and that's primarily for water changes, cleaning the glass. I feed every other day and that's about all the "fun time" I get with it. Maybe I'm better off selling this thing and taking a break until I have time? I don't know. I'm always unhappy with my rockscape (I despise it, actually), I still have diatoms galore, my zoas are forever unhappy, the ricordea are scrunched because the flow is too high but I can't find a good spot for them, the acans are pissed, my skimmer doesn't work... Ugh, what a crap tank day.

Sk8n Reefer

Nah! Hang in there- stay diligent and it will turn around. Are water parameters staying stable? Stinks when you don't get much time with your tank for sure! Nothing wrong with your scape- I think it looks good?

CronicReefer

Your tank looks just fine I think you just need to be patient and it will meet your expectations. Are you using any type of silicate absorber (like extraxphos) for the diatoms? Diatoms need silicates for their cell walls so they should be easy to kill off if you take all the silicate out the water. I can say I've never had a diatom bloom because of extraxphos.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived