inTank Media Baskets

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

XD I can see the thread title. "Pico science project- biological concoction"

Don't give me ideas... lol

Basically I would set up 2 tanks, and cycle them. One with Dr Tims and the other without. I'd add ammonia and see if there actually WAS a difference.

Like I said, i'll probably just rock the Waste Away, ReFresh, and EcoBalance products in THIS tank. My wife would kill me if I started another tank. Not like I have the time right now anyways. I basically don't even have time for THIS tank as it stands. The only time I see it right now is when I feed Hermie every other day and when I do my weekly water change :(

Hello there Tibster. I've been searching through you thread but i can't find if you have upgraded your pump yet. If you have, what did you get and if you haven't, how's the flow from the stock pump doing?

Also are you using the stock baskets or have you upgraded them also. Thanks for any information you can give me.

I discovered this AM that my Mantis tank sprung a leak at the bottom right corner and i need to order something quick to replace it with. I plan to ultimately go back to another "PicO Aquariums 5 gal AIO" but Chris has no replacement in stock now and it could be more than a few weeks until he does. He is working with me on this very graciously but if he doesn't have one to ship now, i need to get something else at least temporarily. Right now, Clarence (my 3 inch Mantis shrimp) is living in a little bitty 1.5 gal tank which he does not like. He seems very stressed and i dont know how long he can last in there.

SOOOO, I'm going to order a fusion 10 from Marine depot ASAP to use as at least a temporary new home.

I have not upgraded the stock pump - I got a lovely spin stream from Fishstiks and have been using that on the stock pump. Flow isn't great but the RW-4 more than makes up for it. And the flow isn't AWFUL without a new pump, but I am using the powerhead for more flow rather than a different stock pump.

Oh no on the mantis tank I think this tank would be perfect for a mantis. Good dimensions, nice thick glass, AIO, and not too pricey.

I am almost out of carbon. Thinking of getting some cpe again. Maybe the cp blue? I could just splurge on nicer carbon. I really want these diatoms gone :(

How about inside a cabinet or closet.

The only real space to keep it right now would be outside in the little storage room we have, but it is way too cold for all that. I could do it at some point. In reality though, I am probably just going to focus on this tank. I haven't had any real time to work on it or enjoy it lately. I pretty much onlt see it when I feed Hermie every other day :(

Ok, so I am out of carbon. Do I go carbon again or go CPE/purigen or CP-Blue? Before I was using the CPE/purigen in my AP12 and had no issues, but using those in the 5.5 caused problems (obviously as the bags are meant for more water and in 5g it just stripped everything from the water column). I think this set up would do well with CPE and purigen, so I may go that route. Granted, I could just go carbon and purigen, too.

I have huge jars of Purigen and Phosguard in my cabinet because I used to use them in my 90g freshwater setup. I used them in my 4g tank for a while but an overdose of Phosguard killed a bunch of corals, so I stopped using it. I stopped using Purigen when I accidentally got copper in my tank, and I realized the carbon will filter out some copper while Purigen won't. I've also tried CPE but like you I couldn't figure out how much I should use.

I eventually settled on Rox carbon and GFO simply because I could put the exact quantities I wanted in a little bag. In my 10g tank I use one tsp carbon and 1/2 tsp of GFO. It's so cheap and easy to do that I can change it any time I need to, so I don't have to worry about GFO clumping in the bag. I just change it every 2-4 weeks, depending on how much algae growth I see on the glass.

I have huge jars of Purigen and Phosguard in my cabinet because I used to use them in my 90g freshwater setup. I used them in my 4g tank for a while but an overdose of Phosguard killed a bunch of corals, so I stopped using it. I stopped using Purigen when I accidentally got copper in my tank, and I realized the carbon will filter out some copper while Purigen won't. I've also tried CPE but like you I couldn't figure out how much I should use.

I eventually settled on Rox carbon and GFO simply because I could put the exact quantities I wanted in a little bag. In my 10g tank I use one tsp carbon and 1/2 tsp of GFO. It's so cheap and easy to do that I can change it any time I need to, so I don't have to worry about GFO clumping in the bag. I just change it every 2-4 weeks, depending on how much algae growth I see on the glass.

I haven't had good luck with doing GFO on my own. It ends up just clumping and not doing much for me. If I had a reactor, I'd go that route as it is cheaper and it is effective.

I think I will stick with the Rox carbon - though I'm not sure which is the best to get. I'll probably grab BRS or Seachem or something. I'm having decent success with carbon alone, occasionally some phosguard. I may go with some purigen to help the carbon out. We'll see.

1tsp is probably 1/4 of what I use right now and it doesn't seem to be doing anything - at least not for diatoms. I don't feed heavily, a few pellets every other day.

I do want to figure out how I'm supposed to feed the LRS reef frenzy, though. I guess thaw a chunk off the corner and then turn off the pumps and just let the tank eat?

jedimasterben

You only have the clownfish, right? Just break off a tiny chunk of the food, turn off the pumps, and just drop the food still frozen into the tank and the clown will pick at it. I would do that for my tank but my trigger would eat 100% of what I put in and the other fish wouldn't get anything lol

You only have the clownfish, right? Just break off a tiny chunk of the food, turn off the pumps, and just drop the food still frozen into the tank and the clown will pick at it. I would do that for my tank but my trigger would eat 100% of what I put in and the other fish wouldn't get anything lol

lol

Gotcha. I'll just cut a small corner off.

jedimasterben

When I'm finally able to go and get some more I'm going to pull the whole flat pack out of the bag, put it on a cutting board, and cut it into the exact size of the pieces I feed so that I don't have to worry about breaking chunks off and having them be very different in size, etc.

That's what I was thinking of doing, but it's such a small amount right now it's probably easier to just break/cut as I need it.

Ordered seachem matrix carbon and purigen. We'll rock that for now and see how it goes. The seachem website says that 250mL (which I ordered) will "easily treat 100g for several months" so I figure it'll last me a while ;) Purigen is great because of the regenerative thing, and I got a 100mL Prime bottle to help remove the excess bleach after I regenerate the bag.

You can also use hydrogen peroxide to regenerate Purigen.

I remember you doing a test on that, but I wasn't sure how well it turned out. I wasn't sure about the chemical reaction of the purigen (whatever it's made of) and the H2O2.

jedimasterben

I remember you doing a test on that, but I wasn't sure how well it turned out. I wasn't sure about the chemical reaction of the purigen (whatever it's made of) and the H2O2.

No effect on it that I can tell. I don't regenerate it nearly as much as I should, mine starts to get yellow after only a day of being in the tank, pretty sure it's because of the algae scrubber. The one in my planted tank (also regenerated with peroxide) stays white for a couple of weeks before the tannins of the wood start to turn more of it.

No effect on it that I can tell. I don't regenerate it nearly as much as I should, mine starts to get yellow after only a day of being in the tank, pretty sure it's because of the algae scrubber. The one in my planted tank (also regenerated with peroxide) stays white for a couple of weeks before the tannins of the wood start to turn more of it.

Word. Well I'll probably give both a try. Peroxide is cheaper than bleach + prime.

Ok, I looked at the MSDS of purigen and it says to not use "strong oxidizing agents" which H2O2 is and so is bleach, so... I emailed them and this is what they told me...

"We do not recommend using anything else other than standard household bleach and Prime when regenerating Purigen. If you decide to use hydrogen peroxide, please do so at your own risk, as we do not recommend this method. You can expose the Purigen to only the bleach : water dilution as specified on the regeneration instructions as this has been tested at this dilution and proves effective."

I followed up with a more clear question. My guess is bleach is the only thing they tested.

jedimasterben

Ok, I looked at the MSDS of purigen and it says to not use "strong oxidizing agents" which H2O2 is and so is bleach, so... I emailed them and this is what they told me...

"We do not recommend using anything else other than standard household bleach and Prime when regenerating Purigen. If you decide to use hydrogen peroxide, please do so at your own risk, as we do not recommend this method. You can expose the Purigen to only the bleach : water dilution as specified on the regeneration instructions as this has been tested at this dilution and proves effective."

I followed up with a more clear question. My guess is bleach is the only thing they tested.

I've gotten the same canned reply before, but I've done the testing I need to do so I'm gonna keep on :)

I've gotten the same canned reply before, but I've done the testing I need to do so I'm gonna keep on :)

I hate that shit. Just answer me with a REAL answer. You don't have to release any proprietary information. If there is a legit problem just say something like "It would react with hydrogen peroxide to cause toxic gas" or something if it's serious. Otherwise, just say "Yeah it should work, but it may ruin the beads" or something. Ugh. I hate those pandering, hand-wavy responses.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived