Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

Not sure I agree with everything, but the Eisen bros are micro rock stars do sho.

It's kind of vague to be accurate, and definitely biased with their POV/research, but in general, I agree with them.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving work in a bit to go home and finish working on the tank. Also have to set up my QT tank. I want to get this thing going so that it's ready for a fish or two when I get them.

Using my old 5.5 gallon tank, even though the rim isn't great around the top, my AC70, 25W heater, and then I'm going to put in a skimmer that someone gave me a while back (fluval something or other; just to see if it actually works), and an eggcrate bottom with some PVC for hiding. I'm going to use 2.5 gallons of my current tank water (water change!) for some of the tank water as it will be the water the fish end up in in my new tank.

Ok so here is our current set up after the reworking. I still need to find the right spot for the rw-4

19PCOwK.jpg

c4vIKL8.jpg

Fun!Come on down to Tx and let me open a door for you at the place we discussed.
still working on that CV ;)

A clown, a neon goby, and possibly a sixline?

Edit: Nevermind on the sixline. The tank isn't big enough, nor do I have enough live rock to let it hide. Grump grump.

I have a sixline in mine, but I know it is not a permanent solution. He will eventually go in my bigger tank at home. For now, he is tiny and does great in the tank with my tailspot blenny. He has also rid my tank of any pods.............good, bad, ugly. No matter, he ate em. Lol

Lookin good!

I have a sixline in mine, but I know it is not a permanent solution. He will eventually go in my bigger tank at home. For now, he is tiny and does great in the tank with my tailspot blenny. He has also rid my tank of any pods.............good, bad, ugly. No matter, he ate em. Lol

Lookin good!

Thanks! I am going to get gobies and a clown I think. We'll see what the cool LFS has.

Polarcollision

Micro questions, If I may.

For my 90 gallon tank, Im trying to go the opposite of so called natural filtration. Im going to try out lots of "tech" on it. Including a denitrifying reactor and a calcium reactor.

I've ordered a sulfur nitrate reactor and microbe-lift special blend. If the bacteria, presumably Thiobacillus strains, do produce H2SO4, and I have a calcium carbonate after filter/scrubber...the reaction of the acid and CaCo3 is going to react to form water, CO2 and CaSO4.

And did you get a chance to look at the MicrobeLift Special Blend under a scope? Do they just look like any other rod shaped bacillus?

If this reactor does produce H2S, do you know of a material that can "neutralize" it,

Get out of my head! :-) I'm starting a project to create a denitrator. The plans I'm working off said there's an ideal middle ground for flow. Too fast and it's aerobic, too slow and it produces sulphur. Crossing fingers it's actually that simple to control. Alternately, I'm considering daisy-chaining an anaerobic 'desulphorator' after the denitrator.

I have no idea how I'm going to make this RW-4 work... I suppose wave 1 mode with the flow down? Or Maybe H (Speed/Feed) mode with the level down?

Is Else Mode an option? I like the pulse flow. All the wave modes ended up overshooting my rim. 8-/

Get out of my head! :-) I'm starting a project to create a denitrator. The plans I'm working off said there's an ideal middle ground for flow. Too fast and it's aerobic, too slow and it produces sulphur. Crossing fingers it's actually that simple to control. Alternately, I'm considering daisy-chaining an anaerobic 'desulphorator' after the denitrator.

Is Else Mode an option? I like the pulse flow. All the wave modes ended up overshooting my rim. 8-/

Else mode is nice but you can't control the power/speed at all so some pulses will be 100% and some people have reported shooting water out of a standard 10g with that mode. I have it on H, or constant flow right now, but I kind of liked the wave mode. I may give wave sine mode a try.

Denitrators, sulfur based, are not new or unproven. So ill be starting there.

Ive just never heard of someone using iron pyrite as the media. To lessen the risk of H2S production

Tibbs, you say that the special Blend may not have Thiobacillus, what other bacteria are there that consume sulfer? ThioVibrio, thiostaphalococcus, , thiostreptococcus...? The makers are putting sulfur in the bottles for a reason. Surely it must be for a sulfur reducing bacteria of some sort.

Previously, i was thinking that the appropriate bacteria might be found in those bacterial septic tank pucks. Shrug.

There seems to be a multi week if not month waiting period for the denitrifying bacteria to populate these reactors. Inoculated by pure random luck apparently.

Denitrators, sulfur based, are not new or unproven. So ill be starting there.

Ive just never heard of someone using iron pyrite as the media. To lessen the risk of H2S production

Tibbs, you say that the special Blend may not have Thiobacillus, what other bacteria are there that consume sulfer? ThioVibrio, thiostaphalococcus, , thiostreptococcus...? The makers are putting sulfur in the bottles for a reason. Surely it must be for a sulfur reducing bacteria of some sort.

Previously, i was thinking that the appropriate bacteria might be found in those bacterial septic tank pucks. Shrug.

There seems to be a multi week if not month waiting period for the denitrifying bacteria to populate these reactors. Inoculated by pure random luck apparently.

I just meant that there are a number of sulfur-utilizing bacteria that they could be using, I couldn't guarantee any of them. It very well could be Thiobacillus, but it might be something else.

Went to the great FS about an hour away yesterday and got some great stuff!

yaEsTkG.jpg

Crappy pictures, but you get the idea :)

fRqLnMa.jpg

Got a new pulsing xenia frag and some acans! Also got a couple of the bumble bee snails, an astrea, and a couple of nerites. Turns out the acan frag came with a stomatella, too!

Also picked up Hermie, my first fish! No good pictures yet. It's a mocha clown or something? I wanted a regular clown, but in the chaos of all these people buying stuff, someone picked up the ocellaris I asked for, so I ended up with this fish for the same price. I'm happy with it :) It's basically stayed back by the RW-4 mostly. I'm afraid the flow is too strong? The coral seem to like it, but Hermie may or may not. Could just be stress...

I do have a question about feeding. I got roped into buying 3 foods - flakes, pellets, and the frozen I had planned to buy from the get go. The dried stuff, pellets and flakes, says to feed 2-3 times a day?? That seems kind of crazy. I was thinking once a day, alternating foods every day or so?

The FS I went to is great. I mentioned getting a firefish or a goby and the clown, and the first thing the guy did was ask how long the tank had been going, the size, etc. I told him and he immediately said to only get 1 fish, and let that stabilize and the tank adjust. I was planning on that anyways, but it was nice to "test" the store and hear them basically advise me correctly rather than make a quick buck.

That acan is pretty!

As far as feeding, I think the foods always recommend feeding way more than is necessary. I personally feed my large tank every other day. My little tank is only fed 3 times a week. I feed on Mon-Wed-Fri. Typically I will do a broadcast feeding on Mondays with mysis or brine, and add a little coral food into that, then a few fish pellets on Wed for the fish and sexies, and a target feeding of frozen on Fridays for the fish, sexies, and a meaty piece for the rock nem. Honestly, I am probably overfeeding, even with ony 3 days a week, but I like to make sure my sexies are well fed so they don't decide to go tasting my zoas. :-)

Ok so here is our current set up after the reworking. I still need to find the right spot for the rw-4

19PCOwK.jpg

c4vIKL8.jpg

still working on that CV ;)

Tank is looking nice! Gonna start on my DIY stand for my IM 16 when I get back home.

Lemme know if you want me to look at a draft CV. Will PM you my email.

That acan is pretty!

As far as feeding, I think the foods always recommend feeding way more than is necessary. I personally feed my large tank every other day. My little tank is only fed 3 times a week. I feed on Mon-Wed-Fri. Typically I will do a broadcast feeding on Mondays with mysis or brine, and add a little coral food into that, then a few fish pellets on Wed for the fish and sexies, and a target feeding of frozen on Fridays for the fish, sexies, and a meaty piece for the rock nem. Honestly, I am probably overfeeding, even with ony 3 days a week, but I like to make sure my sexies are well fed so they don't decide to go tasting my zoas. :-)

Thanks for the advice. I fed a couple of the New Life Spectrum TheraX (I think?) pellets. I bought those, Cobalt omni flakes, and Larry's Reef Service Nano Reef Frenzy. I'll probably do reef frenzy 2x a week max, with occasional pellet/flake for the fish.

Tank is looking nice! Gonna start on my DIY stand for my IM 16 when I get back home.

Lemme know if you want me to look at a draft CV. Will PM you my email.

Got it. I'll send it today ;)

Those are the same pellets I feed, my little guys love it!

I have the reef frenzy too, I have never fed it to my little tank, but I feed my big tank at home with it, and I get awesome response from all my fish and corals. A note on that one, turn the skimmer off for about 30 mintues when you feed, whatever is in it makes my skimmer go crazy, lol.

I brought a couple of things home from lab to make my own version of Julian's Thing, so I'm hoping I can control the spot feeding a bit more. As for the LRS, I'm going to turn off the pumps and broadcast feed it. Just a tiny bit, ;)

I got Julian's Thing as a Christmas present this year. The instructions were great. "How to Use Julian's Thing". "How to Make Julian's Thing Larger". I kid you not. You can't make this stuff up.

It works really well, though :)

So are you making your thing larger than julians thing? lul

Nah, his is too difficult to maneuver and manage in my tank. I'm making mine better - more efficient, more useful. ;)

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived