Coral Vue Hydros

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

great looking setup, my lfs was out of the small bottles of microbe lift btw, didn't wanna buy the huge bottle so I will have to keep checkin til they get some in on my frequent trips there lol.

What do you need microbe-lift for?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Black friday sale at a LFS here in Jacksonville FL tomorrow. I'm going to stop by and see what is going on. Hopefully I'll find some good hardware deals.

it's stinky but it's good right? I think i might throw in some in the new tank.

my experience from 1 use was very positive, i am dosing it currently aswell

Sending him a bottle of microbe lift special blend to examinate using special science skills.

Petco carries it, tho I'm not a fan of shopping there if the city has a decent LFS....

Kinda bounced around so not sure if you found a blue docile fish you liked or were still looking for one but what about a blue gudgeon dartfish?

I did see these. I'm just afraid of their size with my tank. I really only have like 7.5gs of water, and I want a clown BADLY. I'm thinking maybe splurging a bit more money and instead of a regular firefish getting a purple firefish. Cousteau has some blue and I'll get some blue corals to help out with that if possible.

Went to the best LFS I've been to EVER today - BioReef LLC in Jacksonville FL. At my parents' place for turkey day, and decided to pop over there again since I'm here. They never cease to amaze me. Just wow. They have mandys that are 3-4 years old and FAT. I mean, HUGE. They eat flakes, frozen you name it. Amazing livestock, amazing tanks, amazing prices. They ship, too. They can send stuff to the airport through some weird shipping thing they have and it would get to me in a couple of hours rather than overnight, I'd just have to pick it up, but the airport is 20 minutes from me. Easy. So awesome. Oh man. It was so hard to not take home stuff today, but I'm here for a bit longer and the holidays are coming up, so I don't like to buy stuff just in case.

Edit: I also happened to come across a spin stream for 16 bucks (!!!) but the owner said the reason he was selling them new for over 50% off was that they were really loud and lots of people have brought them back :( I've decided I don't need one of those. I can put a better pump in the rear and then use loc line to misdirect flow. Isn't there a T-shaped device that alternates flow?

Second edit: The basics of that coral paper I mentioned in Kat's thread are pretty cool. They use instant ocean exclusively in the lab/research setting for coral propagation. The lighting requirements I'm still converting - I think they use either PC bulbs, MH or T5... They don't talk about par or anything. They use some other unit that I don't actually recognize. As for flow, their flow isn't as high as I thought. They basically use 10g tanks sumped to one big ol' system (no fuge, no sand) with eggcrate for the corals. The flow is something like 200 gph maybe? Not very high. They are growing SPS, too. Pretty crazy. I think they are using an MJ900? I'll have to dig a bit more.

reefernanoman
Transfer complete! Matched salinity and temperature of my tanks, melafix dipped my corals and placed them in the new tank last night. Also drip acclimated Cousteau, Beyonce, and some of the snails. Everything seems good so far. One of the ricordea was very unhappy - it had attached itself to the actual rock and not its epoxy plate, so I had to forcep/scrape it off. Lots of mucus. Put it on the rear sand in the new tank. Xenia were the same and so I had to scrape them off the old rock and I let them float to wherever they wanted and will let them settle.

As for setting up and going out of town, I have an ato so it should hold stable. Going out of town also forces me to leave the tank alone for a couple of days and let everyone take it easy in there.FTSGwplIQd.jpg

Front:5Gcrdo9.jpg

Right:3Mu0QhE.jpg

Left:JOW5Qtt.jpg

I am still figuring out coral placement. For now adjustments are being made. Pico is completely dismantled.

Looking good!

I have a spinstream on mine and it makes no noise at all.

I guess they have the potential to make noise because it turns by a gear that spins with the pressure of the water, but I had these on my 34 gallon and never had an issue then either with noise. Maybe it all just depends on the setup and water pressure running through it.

I did see these. I'm just afraid of their size with my tank. I really only have like 7.5gs of water, and I want a clown BADLY. I'm thinking maybe splurging a bit more money and instead of a regular firefish getting a purple firefish. Cousteau has some blue and I'll get some blue corals to help out with that if possible.

I didn't think the gudgeons were much different in size then firefish when full grown, they are all kinda longer and slender, not overly active fish from what I saw when my old LFS brought them in once. Purple firefish are sweet tho, if I was chosing between those 2 I'd go purple FF anyway. Tons of good choices for blue corals anyway like you said :)

They ship, too. They can send stuff to the airport through some weird shipping thing they have and it would get to me in a couple of hours rather than overnight, I'd just have to pick it up, but the airport is 20 minutes from me. Easy. So awesome.

Yeah they probably ship through Delta AVA, should be pretty reasonable $ wise if you ever did decide to do it.... as long as your airport accepts that form of shipment, most large city airports do but the smaller ones do it a little different and it cost more (DASH).

jedimasterben

Blue gudgeons can be very, very reclusive. There are several species that are all closely related and look almost identical that are sold as blue gudgeons, with most of them being reclusive and a couple of them being a bit more brave. Four sets of them and I got all chickens :angry:

I have a spinstream on mine and it makes no noise at all.

I guess they have the potential to make noise because it turns by a gear that spins with the pressure of the water, but I had these on my 34 gallon and never had an issue then either with noise. Maybe it all just depends on the setup and water pressure running through it.

I agree with Fishstiks, I have 2 spin streams on my NUVO 16 outlets- they make a little noise but not bad at all. I really like them- I think I'll use them on all tanks in the future- the varied water flow with them is such a benefit. I am running a Sicce 1.5 @ 358gph- no issues?

I have a spinstream on mine and it makes no noise at all. I guess they have the potential to make noise because it turns by a gear that spins with the pressure of the water, but I had these on my 34 gallon and never had an issue then either with noise. Maybe it all just depends on the setup and water pressure running through it.

I agree with Fishstiks, I have 2 spin streams on my NUVO 16 outlets- they make a little noise but not bad at all. I really like them- I think I'll use them on all tanks in the future- the varied water flow with them is such a benefit. I am running a Sicce 1.5 @ 358gph- no issues

Well, crap. lost out on a great deal!

In that same vein, though, flow is definitely going to be a problem in this tank. I have my koralia nano 240 under the return nozzle facing the glass and there is almost no flow elsewhere in the tank :wacko: I've asked for an RW-4 for christmas so hopefully that'll help as well as a new return pump... Blargh. It's always something, right?

Tibbsy,

I have the other spinstream from my 38g tank that I broke down that is just sitting here. PM me your address and I will drop it in the mail this week. I no longer have that tank, so I am happy to send it on to someone who can use it :-)

It will definitely help with the flow issue, at least a little. I am finding I would still like a little more flow in my tank too. I have the WP10 that I think I will toss in and try, but I am worried it might be too much flow......

Tonight I have some time - so I am going to try and figure out the flow issue and where to place my corals... Anyone have any opinions?

Tibbsy,

I have the other spinstream from my 38g tank that I broke down that is just sitting here. PM me your address and I will drop it in the mail this week. I no longer have that tank, so I am happy to send it on to someone who can use it :-)

It will definitely help with the flow issue, at least a little. I am finding I would still like a little more flow in my tank too. I have the WP10 that I think I will toss in and try, but I am worried it might be too much flow......

Really? Thanks! And for the WP10, put it in on the lowest setting and see what happens. Maybe try and point it in a direction to break the direct flow a bit?

I have no idea where best to place these corals now... I am going to move the koralia nano over to the right side under the return nozzle facing the left side of the tank to force water in multiple directions and increase flow. The main rock structure seems to block most of the flow in the current set up.

I'm going to watch the podcast AmericanReef on coral placement to see what tips they have. Anyone have any thoughts, please chime in!

In my IM10, I removed the flow diverter from my return (which made a huge difference in how much flow I get from the stock return pump), and then placed the MP 10 on the same side of the tank near the top, about halfway between the front and back. That way the flow from the return is mostly sucked up by the MP10 and redirected. The MP10 is on reef crest mode so I get a nice strong, random flow throughout the tank. I can run it up to about 50% without creating any natural disasters.

I think you could use the RW-10 the same way when you get it. Fishstix' Spinstream will really help with redirecting the flow throughout the tank, but if it works anything like the Hydor Flo I used to use, the energy needed to power the device will reduce the flow rate from your return pump by as much as 50%. So you may need to upgrade your return pump. It's definitely always something :)

As far as coral placement goes, I'm sure there are others here on NR with much better advice. My approach so far has been to place corals randomly wherever I have open space on a rock, limited by flow and lighting requirements. I also try to place corals with complementary colors adjacent to each other but that never seems to work out. Then when I don't like the way it looks I move everything around every couple months and piss everybody off.

Maybe I'll go watch that podcast too :)

Wait, there is a flow diverter on the return? You mean the nozzle itself or is it something else?

In my IM10, I removed the flow diverter from my return (which made a huge difference in how much flow I get from the stock return pump), and then placed the MP 10 on the same side of the tank near the top, about halfway between the front and back. That way the flow from the return is mostly sucked up by the MP10 and redirected. The MP10 is on reef crest mode so I get a nice strong, random flow throughout the tank. I can run it up to about 50% without creating any natural disasters.

I think you could use the RW-10 the same way when you get it. Fishstix' Spinstream will really help with redirecting the flow throughout the tank, but if it works anything like the Hydor Flo I used to use, the energy needed to power the device will reduce the flow rate from your return pump by as much as 50%. So you may need to upgrade your return pump. It's definitely always something :)

As far as coral placement goes, I'm sure there are others here on NR with much better advice. My approach so far has been to place corals randomly wherever I have open space on a rock, limited by flow and lighting requirements. I also try to place corals with complementary colors adjacent to each other but that never seems to work out. Then when I don't like the way it looks I move everything around every couple months and piss everybody off.

Maybe I'll go watch that podcast too :)

Just talking about the little rectangular nozzle that sticks out into the tank. It really constricts the flow.

Gotcha. I'll take it off.

I took the return nozzle off the tank and moved the koralia nano to the left of the tank under the overflow facing the right side of the tank.

I started placing the coral in the tank. There is a LOT of brown fuzziness on the rocks and sand. I hope that it will go away. i need to order a refresher CUC from Reef cleaners, so that is on my list of things to do.

Here is what I've currently got

iojYoRm.jpg

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived