SaltCritters.com

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

I brought a couple of things home from lab to make my own version of Julian's Thing, so I'm hoping I can control the spot feeding a bit more. As for the LRS, I'm going to turn off the pumps and broadcast feed it. Just a tiny bit, ;)

Take some rigid airline. 12 to 18 inches or so.

Carefully heat it in one section toward the end. Like how we made glass droppers in HS chem class over a bunsen burner.

Pull it carefully until you get the diameter you desire. Cut it, trim it.

Take a Leur lock syringe, 10 to 20ml. Slide soft airline tubing over the Leur tip, CA glue in place. Take the other end of the soft and slide it on the regular end of the rigid that you made.

Awesome DIY Tibbsy's Thing. I have like 3 of different sizes.

This is more for liquid or powdered foods. Leave end un-reduced for mysis, (LRS),etc.

Overfeeding=Underfiltering

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hermie will get use to the flow. Either that or he will die: survival of the fittest (loljk).

If my pipefish aren't bothered by the flow I have in my tank, I'm sure Hermie gonna be all spiffy in a few days time. He just needs to get use to the current patterns.

Polarcollision

Awww. Cute fish! the acan is pretty too. Read somewhere that fish stomachs are about the size of their eye. Takes about 2 mins for them to eat that much. twice a day

Awww. Cute fish! the acan is pretty too. Read somewhere that fish stomachs are about the size of their eye. Takes about 2 mins for them to eat that much. twice a day

Haha, yeah I use the feed mode on the RW-4, which turns it off for 10 minutes or so. I drop a pellet or two in at a time and let Hermie go at it. So far it's not big on the flakes. Maybe too difficult for it to eat? Hermie seems to peck at them and they float away so it stops chasing them and stops eating. The pellets come to the fish, though, and it catches them. Can't wait to see how the LRS goes.

Here are a couple of crappy closeups of Hermie.

tGcl3xN.jpg

6hotO0C.jpg

7rMJWny.jpg

There isn't a whole lot of hiding room... lol. He spends most of his time near the pump there around back and below. I think that's his "hiding" spot.

Hermie will get use to the flow. Either that or he will die: survival of the fittest (loljk).

If my pipefish aren't bothered by the flow I have in my tank, I'm sure Hermie gonna be all spiffy in a few days time. He just needs to get use to the current patterns.

Hermie is super cute :wub:
Hermie is wearing a scarf

VERY cute!!

New scape looks 10x better. Keep it up!

-Dave

Thanks everyone! Hermie is still chillin in the back near the pump. It will readily eat, so I'm not worried.

The tank is uuuuugly right now. Still adjusting to feeding and the fish, I assume. My skimmer has broken in, it seems, but I'm only getting white bubbles still. Is that normal?

Going to place the acans tonight and the Xenia. One set of zoas is really stretching, but it is right under the light dead center, and in the best flow. Hmmm

CronicReefer

Haha, yeah I use the feed mode on the RW-4, which turns it off for 10 minutes or so. I drop a pellet or two in at a time and let Hermie go at it. So far it's not big on the flakes. Maybe too difficult for it to eat? Hermie seems to peck at them and they float away so it stops chasing them and stops eating. The pellets come to the fish, though, and it catches them. Can't wait to see how the LRS goes.

Hermie is looking good! My clowns don't eat anything that floats so don't worry about the flakes too much. I bet he will go crazy for the LRS, mine get super excited and attack my turkey baster for it.

Hermie is looking good! My clowns don't eat anything that floats so don't worry about the flakes too much. I bet he will go crazy for the LRS, mine get super excited and attack my turkey baster for it.

Mine have gotten used to my turkey baster and know it as a source of food. A little annoying when I am trying to baste crap off the rocks though!

CronicReefer

Mine have gotten used to my turkey baster and know it as a source of food. A little annoying when I am trying to baste crap off the rocks though!

Haha yeah I have this same problem they always hover I'm afraid I'll smack one in the head by accident. But when they see the food inside they sometimes try to stick their mouths right on the end, I swear they are going to get too fat to swim one day.

Haha yeah I have this same problem they always hover I'm afraid I'll smack one in the head by accident. But when they see the food inside they sometimes try to stick their mouths right on the end, I swear they are going to get too fat to swim one day.

Lol, I don't use a turkey baster for my rocks anymore, though. Melev's Reef uses a powerhead to clean his rocks off. I have a rio+ that shoots 70gph or less, so I turn it down and plug it in and use that to push crud off my rock now. Works pretty well so far.

I use a turkey baster to blow off the rocks and a syring to feed. Oddly enough, my fish have figured out the difference and hide when I bring out the baster, and come running when they see the syringe.

I have been reading this great article on aquarium myths, http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/2/myths. I'm having trouble figuring out flow, though. The scientist reports the flow in cm s-1 or centimeters per second. The problem is that our pumps and powerheads all relay their information in terms of gallons per hour. Unfortunately the first is a measure of length, not volume, where the second IS volume. My issue is that most coral do best in flow of ~10 cm s-1, but that doesn't convert well into gph, which we all use. Grrrrr...

I also came across this very interesting aquarium type referred to as DyMiCo (Dynamic Mineral Control; http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/2/aafeature). Very interesting to see how many large scale reefs use this. It makes a lot of sense. I think it would actually make our lives easier. Tim Wijgerde (author and marine scientist (BA, M.Sc, PhD)) has been running a few of them for a while in a hobby-size aquarium. So far the results are promising. I wonder if certain tweaks would be even better?

I wonder if you set up the mineralization system with a fuge afterwards of macro algae and sand only if that would also help out and provide a better haven for phytoplankton and pods?

Set up could be Tank - DyMiCo sump - fuge - back to tank.

Hi Tibbsy07,

How are you liking the pico skim 2.0? I am thinking of setting up a fusion 10 and using the atb hang on nano. I think they are almost the same. Living in Belgium does not make it easy in finding al the right products that fit in the 10.

Cheers,

Rory

Hi Tibbsy07,

How are you liking the pico skim 2.0? I am thinking of setting up a fusion 10 and using the atb hang on nano. I think they are almost the same. Living in Belgium does not make it easy in finding al the right products that fit in the 10.

Cheers,

Rory

Hi, I really like it so far. It has just broken in so skimming isn't really going yet, but it is nice. I think it will work out great once I dial it in

Hey tibbsy, how's that RW-4 working out for you? Great progress.

Thanks! More stuff coming soon. I like the RW-4, but I got it as a gift. It is on the lowest wave setting and it moves a LOT of water around. Might be too much for this tank, to be honest. The tank is HIDEOUS right now. Brown fuzzies everywhere. I scraped the glass today and the water was cloudy for a couple of hours. Big water change tomorrow. Also have to adjust the skimmer.

Hermie is eating pellets from the forceps I have, lol. Little pig.

Working on coral placement again. I think I am going to move the middle Ricordea over to the Right near the other one and put the acans in the middle. I may actually swap those positions, though as there is more flow to the right than in the middle of the tank.

qSTkTQx.png

New FTS! I've still got brown crud everywhere, but this was this morning after a big clean up last night. Water change, scraping the glass/back wall, etc. I glued the acans, rics and new pulsing xenia down (finally!). This morning things seem to be good to go.

hvOfOWq.jpg

It looks great! What is that green coral in the back right corner? Toadstool, GSP rock? Whatever it is its really pretty. Great green pop of color.

It looks great! What is that green coral in the back right corner? Toadstool, GSP rock? Whatever it is its really pretty. Great green pop of color.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived