Coral Vue Hydros

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

Thanks. I'm not ready for gorgs yet, lol. I need to actually learn to take care of this tank first. Fish are up next when the holiday break ends and I get back in town.

Fish are more difficult than gorgonians :).
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totes. My gorg is super easy!

Maybe... Definitely in the future.

I finished the scapr and coral placement. I actually think I might be happy with this. Coral are angry and my phone sucks but here are the two pictures...

pMTL39y.jpg

YdqOX1U.jpg

The Kenya tree is all the way to the left above the tunnel thing, far enough from the hammer to not cause problems. ZOA's are spread out. Gsp is in the back right to expand but not inhibit other things yet. Rics are in the front where the flow isn't as strong. Pulsing xenia is around the back left in a tiny tiny clump you can't see. It'll grow up nice and happy there.

dooooo it

Eventually, I need to replace the cuc first. Down to 3 snails.

Maybe... Definitely in the future.

Ha ha, I didn't get one for many months. But the one I got turned out to be really easy and really pretty.

Just sayin' - don't worry too much about it!

Yes! I love the one I have in my 4g tank. And I'm seriously considering swapping out my IM desktop ghost skimmer in the IM 10 tank for another Pico Skim. One recommendation, though: order a bunch of extra limewood airstones. They only last about 4-6 weeks. They're really cheap, so I ordered ten to keep me going.

I like the new scape, and the placement of the corals. Are you worried about the GSP eventually taking over?

Gena and Kimberbee are getting me inspired to try a gorg :)

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!

I mean, wait for a nice, healthy, photosynthetic one to take home - you won't regret it!

I love the pop of color my purple one adds to the tank!

Looks great! The GSP looks like a some guy driving a convertible with his lush hair streaming in the wind ;)

Thanks! It's not my ideal rock scape but it's not my ideal tank size so it works with what I have.

I like it. I also really like your coral placement, and that hidey hole in the bottom left corner of the rock is gonna make some little fish or invert very happy one day :-)

Youll have to let me know how you like the skimmer. I've considered one, and with having 2 fish and a pile of sexies that eat like horses, could probably benefit from one. I just do about 3 gallons in water changes a week, try to feed lightly, and so far that seems to be working for me.

Whoa, what a busy busy holiday. Driving, getting sick, dog being sick/stressed - great but crazy. Back at work now, trying to catch up on my lab notebook... Womp womp.

Got some GREAT aquarium stuff for Christmas, though. The PicO Skim 2.0, a dremel set (hooray! DIY Here I come!), and a Jebao RW-4. I am going to be purchasing the whisper 20 pump this afternoon to get the skimmer going. My wife also gave me some swedish fish and told me that they were in place of her buying me our first fish. Yippee!

Yes! I love the one I have in my 4g tank. And I'm seriously considering swapping out my IM desktop ghost skimmer in the IM 10 tank for another Pico Skim. One recommendation, though: order a bunch of extra limewood airstones. They only last about 4-6 weeks. They're really cheap, so I ordered ten to keep me going.

I like the new scape, and the placement of the corals. Are you worried about the GSP eventually taking over?

I'll get a gorg eventually ;) I'm not worried about the GSP because it's on its own large rock piece that can easily be removed/cut. PicO is out of business for the rest of the year and their limewoods are sold out :( I'll have to find another source, though, this one should hold me through January.

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!

I mean, wait for a nice, healthy, photosynthetic one to take home - you won't regret it!

I love the pop of color my purple one adds to the tank!

Heehee

Nice skimmer doc. Merry Christmas!

Thanks! You too :)

I like it. I also really like your coral placement, and that hidey hole in the bottom left corner of the rock is gonna make some little fish or invert very happy one day :-) Youll have to let me know how you like the skimmer. I've considered one, and with having 2 fish and a pile of sexies that eat like horses, could probably benefit from one. I just do about 3 gallons in water changes a week, try to feed lightly, and so far that seems to be working for me.

Thanks :) I'll let you know about the skimmer. I think it'll help out tremendously. Thanks for the spin stream, too! I just got it today when I got to work. I hope it works out! I can't imagine it won't help the corals :)

Now I have to figure out where to put my heater, where the RW-4 should go, get the skimmer installed, get the spin stream installed, and ORGANIZE my darn cords. Oh, and a water change, lol.

I have no idea how I'm going to make this RW-4 work... I suppose wave 1 mode with the flow down? Or Maybe H (Speed/Feed) mode with the level down?

If its too powerful, get some foam like that made for the MP10. Or just use those made for the MP10, and mod it.

That foam cuts flow by at least half. And is a crude mechanical filter.

Why, cause it's too powerful?

Yeah, but I think it'll be ok on wave mode on low.

If its too powerful, get some foam like that made for the MP10. Or just use those made for the MP10, and mod it.

That foam cuts flow by at least half. And is a crude mechanical filter.

Ah, I didn't know there were foam pads for this.

Here is my chore for today.

FTS as it is currently - tonight is a water change (2.5g) and swapping out the koralia for the RW-4 and getting the PicO skimmer set up.

DLWlsjh.jpg

Oh, and taking care of this mess... <_<

Q2teQZq.jpg

http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_Marine_VorTech_Foam_Cover_for_MP10_(3_Pack)_Impellers_Replacement_Parts_for_Aquarium_Powerheads-EcoTech_Marine-EM07298-FIPHRP-vi.html

Something like that, or make your own from another filter pad material.

I have a 4 in a 40, I would bet it works real well in a IM10(without the foam).

My MP10 pulverizes starfish, i should re-start using them. Lost a red fromia and my basket star has lost a couple arms and a lot of fingers.

Micro questions, If I may.

For my 90 gallon tank, Im trying to go the opposite of so called natural filtration. Im going to try out lots of "tech" on it. Including a denitrifying reactor and a calcium reactor.

I've ordered a sulfur nitrate reactor and microbe-lift special blend. If the bacteria, presumably Thiobacillus strains, do produce H2SO4, and I have a calcium carbonate after filter/scrubber...the reaction of the acid and CaCo3 is going to react to form water, CO2 and CaSO4.

And CaSO4 is plaster or gypsum.

Would you think that is going to make a chalky mess? I do. What else can one use to neutralize the acid, bicarb?(which doesn't seem feasible)

Also, some of these Thiobacillus strains use iron(that will oxidize) and iron pyrite instead of pure sulfur to produce N2, do you know of any experiments using that material, iron pyrite, in reef denitrifying reactors?

And did you get a chance to look at the MicrobeLift Special Blend under a scope? Do they just look like any other rod shaped bacillus?

If this reactor does produce H2S, do you know of a material that can "neutralize" it,

Well, you're going a pretty complicated route, and I am by no means an expert in chemistry. Water is a natural buffer - acting as both an acid and a base. The amount of H2S made shouldn't be super high, so the water alone may buffer it, but you'll need to keep adjusting your pH. I think it's a risky move in such a small space. It would almost be better to use any base (pH 8.5 or higher) to neutralize the H2S, but there is a whole mess of things that can go wrong (bad gases, etc). I would consult a chemist at a local university or something...

You are also assuming that Thiobacillus strains are what is being used in the microbe-lift and I can't tell you yes or no. I have no idea. I never got any to look at under a scope, but even if I did, I'd not be able to tell a dang thing. I recently posted in PolarCollision's thread about why I've given up on it.

As for your "chalky mess," yes, I think that the gypsum/plaster will end up making a nasty mess.

It is a neat idea though. Maybe start small on a 10g or something? It'll leave less room for error, but it would be interesting to try. Do it water only for a bit, so as not to kill anything, then if it works, move forward

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived