ReefCleaners.org

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duncans are super easy for me to keep. Since your tank is small look around for a branching one they are much easier to frag. My friend has one that is doing so well. I have 3 all together one is more blue than the other all are hard to frag.

I like the magnetic frag racks so you and move them easier and less chance of them falling. The one with the suction cups never stay up for me.

So Barry 2.0 died.

WTF. MY EMERALD CRAB DIED YESTERDAY TOO! Ironic part is, I thought: "Man, this reminds me of when Barry died". Little did I know...

Did your emerald crab eat bubble algae? My wife is really wanting one but my algae is limited to sustain one- bubble is the one I am seeing mostly

WTF. MY EMERALD CRAB DIED YESTERDAY TOO! Ironic part is, I thought: "Man, this reminds me of when Barry died". Little did I know...

Lol, yeah I was bummed, but I am determined to have a healthy stable tank. I don't think I'll do another emerald. I think maybe a pom pom. I'll have 2 filter feeders (Cousteau and the pom pom), some snails and a sexy (Beyonce) to clean up major algae problems.

Did your emerald crab eat bubble algae? My wife is really wanting one but my algae is limited to sustain one- bubble is the one I am seeing mostly

Nope. I never had bubble algae in this tank, though. I always dipped, and removed the bubbles if I saw them before they entered my tank. And to be honest, I didn't have much visible algae around. Maybe one reason he died. He was always eating at something, but it's been a while since he really had to CLEAN. I need to get back to the weekly coral feeding.

Mine kicked the bucket too...I think after they do the big bubble/GHA cleanup you REALLY have to feed them or they do not last long. Maybe use shrimp pellets?

Lol, yeah I was bummed, but I am determined to have a healthy stable tank. I don't think I'll do another emerald. I think maybe a pom pom. I'll have 2 filter feeders (Cousteau and the pom pom), some snails and a sexy (Beyonce) to clean up major algae problems.

Nope. I never had bubble algae in this tank, though. I always dipped, and removed the bubbles if I saw them before they entered my tank. And to be honest, I didn't have much visible algae around. Maybe one reason he died. He was always eating at something, but it's been a while since he really had to CLEAN. I need to get back to the weekly coral feeding.

Thanks - ya that's my concern- not having enough for 'em to eat long term . I missed some on my rock initially and now it's starting to populate a little

Mine kicked the bucket too...I think after they do the big bubble/GHA cleanup you REALLY have to feed them or they do not last long. Maybe use shrimp pellets?

Thanks - ya that's my concern- not having enough for 'em to eat long term . I missed some on my rock initially and now it's starting to populate a little

I think dry seaweed would be ok. I fed it to Barry 2.0 once and he went nuts for it. It just starts to break apart, so it kind of gets everywhere.

I think dry seaweed would be ok. I fed it to Barry 2.0 once and he went nuts for it. It just starts to break apart, so it kind of gets everywhere.

Great idea- thanks for the tip.

So my rock came today from Jedimasterben. Looks great!

7AIAdCO.jpg

I'm on mobile right now so my iPad hates the forum and so does my droid so hopefully these post. I have no idea how to post them easily from these devices. I'll fix them tomorrow if I have to.

I cut a floor out of egg rate so I could test out different scales without damaging the glass. I like 2 in particular and my wife really likes 1.

Scape 1 front and side

yoADyO3.jpg

Xu4axeP.jpg

Scape 2

kDgY19B.jpg

NI2jlSZ.jpg

Scape 3

PHImsPi.jpg

UYRIbRE.jpg

Scape 4

CKJjitC.jpg

VrMenad.jpg

I like 2 and 3 the most. They are the same except for the small bridge piece in 3. My wife likes 4, as she wants a lot of horizontal coral space.

I like 2 and 4 ( not a fan of bridges) allows for good placement of corals- depends though - what type of coral are you planning on keeping?

Polarcollision

I like the bridge aesthetically, but vote #1 because it leaves more room for coral to grow between rock and glass, and also for water to flow around the whole tank more easily.

Duncans are super easy to keep. I have a branching type that hasn't ever complained about any of my husbandry goof ups over the last 18 months, even with clowns hosting it.

I like 2 and 4 ( not a fan of bridges) allows for good placement of corals- depends though - what type of coral are you planning on keeping?

Mainly softies, but some LPS and maybe an SPS or two, but not many SPS.

number 1 is perfect for the dimensions of the tank once coral is on it. You won't end up with stuff touching the glass that way.

I do like it, though some of the space feels wasted because I'll never see the coral around the backside of the pillar

1 and 4 are my picks once those rocks are filled it would look killer

Thanks. My wife prefers a rock wall like 4. Her favorites were #4 and then #3

I like the bridge aesthetically, but vote #1 because it leaves more room for coral to grow between rock and glass, and also for water to flow around the whole tank more easily.

Duncans are super easy to keep. I have a branching type that hasn't ever complained about any of my husbandry goof ups over the last 18 months, even with clowns hosting it.

I was considering flow, too. I like the bridged formation for that, as none of the rock touches the back wall (it's very close, but water can pass through), and the open middle space allows for a great area for water movement as well as fish refuge.

Love

PHImsPi.jpg

Thanks :) I really like this one, but the sides are really close to the rock and I'm afraid of limiting room for the fish and coral.

I love 1, 2 and 3. I'm worried that you'll end up with corals pressed right up against the glass for scapes 2 and 3 tho.

Yeah, I'm wondering about that.

I think I'm going to maybe try to break some of the larger chunks apart and then do some more scaping work. I just can't decide!!

This is way more difficult than I thought. I don't want TONS of rock, I do prefer a bit more minimalist. My wife, on the other hand, feels that it's empty without rock, largely because I have had so much open space that has nothing in it in my tanks previously.

I'm trying to read all about different aquascaping techniques. Unfortunately, my wife and I feel very differently about what is nice and what isn't. Even in tanks full of coral, she doesn't like a lot of open water, whereas I do.

I'm leaning towards a 2 or 3 type scape, but smaller so that it's not quite as close to the glass. In addition, I have a piece-of-reef-like set of corals heading my way via Kat, so I want to ensure that the small rock the corals are on will have plenty of area to be placed.

Bare bottom? I am starting to like that look also for an open tank feel- nothing like my current tank though- I am full of rock because I am trying to keep everyone on their own piece to grow into colonies

Bare bottom? I am starting to like that look also for an open tank feel- nothing like my current tank though- I am full of rock because I am trying to keep everyone on their own pice to grow into colonies

Nope, sand. I like the aesthetic of a bit of sand. Not a deep sand bed (I don't believe in them in small tanks), but about 1/2" of sand.

Nope, sand. I like the aesthetic of a bit of sand. Not a deep sand bed (I don't believe in them in small tanks), but about 1/2" of sand.

I hear ya- when I see them I like the look but I just can't bring myself to make the leap

Mr. Microscope

Anyone have a particular frag rack that they like?

Also, are duncans hard to keep?

Blackrockreef run by member sushi makes awesome racks. I have the s, but I really like the m.

http://www.blackrockreef.com/products-4.html

The magnets are neodymium and are strong enough to hold up a pretty large colony if you needed to.

Also, no. Duncans are supposedly pretty easy to keep. I also heard they are one of the fastest growing LPS.

Blackrockreef run by member sushi makes awesome racks. I have the s, but I really like the m.

http://www.blackrockreef.com/products-4.html

The magnets are neodymium and are strong enough to hold up a pretty large colony if you needed to.

Also, no. Duncans are supposedly pretty easy to keep. I also heard they are one of the fastest growing LPS.

Great, thanks!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived