Pod Your Reef

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new tank at least overnight.

I did it for 14-15 hours, and it was all good. I had to move the tank, though, because I had to shower for work, so I emptied it. I figure if it was going to leak, it would have by 15 hours in.

Why are there no pictures of said new tank?

Working on it. I have some but I haven't had a chance to upload them yet.

OK, here we go

Package arrived!

20140923_185420.jpg

Such a big box

20140923_185450.jpg

Had to hold this box

I was getting stupid excited by this point

20140923_185629.jpg

:scarry:

20140923_185718.jpgomgomgomg

20140923_190342.jpg

:haha:omgomgomg:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Still needs to find an appropriate stand and home, but she's here and safe. Leak test was good. I made an eggcrate shelf with a magnet from KJ aquatics, and I had made the eggcrate shelf 4x4 units. It turns out there is a small lip in the rear just under the overflow so that the eggcrate doesn't fit. I cut it down to 3x4 and it fits perfectly. This is what I'll be placing my filter floss on.

I have a couple of the magnets left over so i think i can add more rock space but keep the sand bed open by gluing/epoxying the magnets to a piece of rock and having it hang up on the side either in the back or along an actual side.

This or the PicO 5g is what I want my next tank to be.

I'll be not so silently judging it's performance to help me decide.

:D

So far so good here. The pump is silent - I mean, really. I can't hear anything when it's on. That being said, they recommend the rear chamber is only filled to ~1" below the line in the rear, so it's pretty far down. I'd say that it means that there is probably only 9ish gallons in the tank. The return line/elbow in the rear is actually well above this line so I wonder what the sound will be like if the water level is where they recommend it (for leak tests, I just filled it and put the pump on)?

The return nozzle is small. I mean, like it's more like http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/lock-line-1-2-flat-nozzle than what I typically think of for a return nozzle. It's nice because of its profile, but I have concerns about flow restriction, especially given the pump at max gph is only 92 gph, not even 10x turnover in the tank.

The eheim compact 1000 (267 gph) or the rio+ 1000 (271 gph) will both fit in the rear chamber without problem and will increase flow dramatically. I will likely upgrade to one of these at some point and possible change the return nozzle to a spin stream for randomized flow.

I have been looking at the Jebao RW-4 or W-10 for extra flow if I go that route. I like the koralia nano 240, but the RW-4 seems to have a lower profile. We'll see. This is a long-term upgrade.

So far so good here. The pump is silent - I mean, really. I can't hear anything when it's on. That being said, they recommend the rear chamber is only filled to ~1" below the line in the rear, so it's pretty far down. I'd say that it means that there is probably only 9ish gallons in the tank. The return line/elbow in the rear is actually well above this line so I wonder what the sound will be like if the water level is where they recommend it (for leak tests, I just filled it and put the pump on)?

The return nozzle is small. I mean, like it's more like http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/lock-line-1-2-flat-nozzle than what I typically think of for a return nozzle. It's nice because of its profile, but I have concerns about flow restriction, especially given the pump at max gph is only 92 gph, not even 10x turnover in the tank.

The eheim compact 1000 (267 gph) or the rio+ 1000 (271 gph) will both fit in the rear chamber without problem and will increase flow dramatically. I will likely upgrade to one of these at some point and possible change the return nozzle to a spin stream for randomized flow.

I have been looking at the Jebao RW-4 or W-10 for extra flow if I go that route. I like the koralia nano 240, but the RW-4 seems to have a lower profile. We'll see. This is a long-term upgrade.

I have both the koralia and the rw-4 and would definitely recommend the rw-4. It's a lot nicer looking in the tank and is much easier to direct. The koralias just kind of hang there no matter what you try to do with them. Being controllable is definitely nice too.

I have both the koralia and the rw-4 and would definitely recommend the rw-4. It's a lot nicer looking in the tank and is much easier to direct. The koralias just kind of hang there no matter what you try to do with them. Being controllable is definitely nice too.

Hmmmm... It would be nice to control the flow. I may do this at some point - wait for a sale to show up on amazon or something.

I have the WP10 and it works great for this tank. But some say that the RW-4 is a tad smaller and even more controllable, so I would get the RW-4 if I were you. For some reason, my WP10 is noisy if I put it to work on any other speed other than the lowest one, but I can't hear it anymore because I put my AquaC Remora nano skimmer that I had laying around. LOL

NirvanaandTool

Beef up that shelf and you can put a second on top of there!

Looks really nice. Cant wait to see it stocked.

lol @ the airplane bottle of Makers. Not judging, who doesn't enjoy a little bourbon with their fish tanks.

Good news Tibbsy! My tank is shipping today! Woohoo! I'm hoping to have it by Monday since it's my day off and I'd be able to enjoy it all day.

Awesome!

awyeh, tank looks great, now fill it with coral and take pics

Thanks! Slowly but surely...

Beef up that shelf and you can put a second on top of there!

Looks really nice. Cant wait to see it stocked.

lol @ the airplane bottle of Makers. Not judging, who doesn't enjoy a little bourbon with their fish tanks.

My wife and I want the shelf to have doors. She likes the baskets in this one. I think I am building one this week some time. It'll be a temporary work as I will likely just have the structure for a time until I can get the siding figured out.

Thanks :) And for the bourbon - hell yeah. I love bourbon, whiskey, and scotch. Those are my alcohol loves. Used to be craft beer, and I still enjoy that, but whiskey is my soul. What can I say? Scottish heritage (almost 100%) and raised in the Southeast ;)

I mean, sure if you want to play it the boring safe way...

lol lookin forward to it man

Lol, I'm just waiting on dry rock to get here. Then I'm going to set up my scape. Once I get that going, everything else is pretty much ready. I'm going to make some salt water and do like a 2.5g water change on the pico, and use that dirty water with some new water to start the cycling of the 10g. I'll also use some of the Microbacter7 and old filter floss to seed the rock. There is a piece of LR that I currently don't have any livestock on, so I'll probably put that in as well. Cycle shouldn't last too long.

I was also thinking about this...

What if instead of replacing the nozzle with a wider nozzle for the return, what if I had it plumbed to a thin PVC/rubber tube/etc line that is painted black with small holes going down it? Something like a DIY frag tank flow maker or Riptide-like device? The water would enter the tube from the return, but instead of going out in 1 big stream, it would be forced out of the small holes in the tubing, and the tube would either be vertical, pushing water around the whole tank from top to bottom in a big sheet, or horizontal pushing water from the back top to the front top and then down the glass to the sand and back wall.

Does that make sense? It wouldn't stick out in the tank like the normal nozzles do and would provide more even flow, especially from a stronger pump...

Lol, I'm just waiting on dry rock to get here. Then I'm going to set up my scape. Once I get that going, everything else is pretty much ready. I'm going to make some salt water and do like a 2.5g water change on the pico, and use that dirty water with some new water to start the cycling of the 10g. I'll also use some of the Microbacter7 and old filter floss to seed the rock. There is a piece of LR that I currently don't have any livestock on, so I'll probably put that in as well. Cycle shouldn't last too long.

The old water would probably only help for acclimation purposes, but the bacterial supplement, filter floss, and piece of LR should definitely help out! Are you going with sand, or no?

The old water would probably only help for acclimation purposes, but the bacterial supplement, filter floss, and piece of LR should definitely help out! Are you going with sand, or no?

The water should have enough of the planktonic bacteria and excess nutrients to help the rest of the bacteria I'm adding do their work ;)

And yes for sand. ~1/2" of Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade. I don't want it blowing around all over, but I don't want it too big. I sent some of my bag of sand to Kat. I'll use the rest in this tank. I doubt I'll have much left over but any left over I'll add to the pico if/when I make it a mantis tank.

I used microbelift special blend, i was disturbed by how quickly the tank cycled afterward although I waited 3 weeks before adding it, it could have just decided to start cycling itself lol.

It smells like sulfur realllly bad though.

I used microbelift special blend, i was disturbed by how quickly the tank cycled afterward although I waited 3 weeks before adding it, it could have just decided to start cycling itself lol.

It smells like sulfur realllly bad though.

Lol, yeah I'll avoid that. I have tons of the Microbacter 7, too. It'll be good. Heck, I could simply put the mediabasket or any other thing from the current tank into the new tank and get the cycle going. Basically any surface will work

So old water can help start a cycle? I've been contemplating how I am going to start the cycle in my tank. I have bagged "live" sand but I don't know how authentic that actually is. My friends Mom has a very well established 57 reef that she said I could take some water from with her water change. How much should I use? 1-5 gallons?

So old water can help start a cycle? I've been contemplating how I am going to start the cycle in my tank. I have bagged "live" sand but I don't know how authentic that actually is. My friends Mom has a very well established 57 reef that she said I could take some water from with her water change. How much should I use? 1-5 gallons?

The water isn't going to give you a significant amount of bacteria; Tibbsy's using it for bacteria food. Nutrients and fish poop and all that good stuff. Maybe you should put some filter floss in your mom's friend's aquarium and then take it back when you're setting up your tank? The bagged sand may help a bit, but if it's been sitting for a shelf for a large amount of time it's likely got more dead bacteria than live bacteria (still, though, food).

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived