SaltCritters.com

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

Figured out the stand! We recently purchased an expedit 4x4 shelf from Ikea. I was skeptical on its ability to be a stand for the IM 10 when it was fully loaded, but my wife is a genius. She saw what I could not. The basic plan is to use a 2x4 to cut some braces for the inside (see below). I am going to get maple stained doors from Ikea and put them on the front. I'm going to use the upper right chamber for storage, the upper left for electronics/controllers/power strips. The lower left will contain a 5.5g tank for an ATO reservoir, and the lower right chamber will be for my salt container and other storage.

QhfZ5KO.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Punk rocker zoas may be toast. Amphipods have decided that they like the taste. And yes, I know it's the amphipods this time. I watched it go down. I was cleaning the room the pico is in and started making water for a water change. The punk rockers were out and open and happy, and about 20 minutes later I noticed that they had closed up. Surprise surprise, two larger amphipods were crawling around them. They haven't opened since, and now the main colony looks like it's inside out, with the mouth extending upwards and the rest of the polyp drooping. It no longer has the orange tendrils as the amphipod seems to have eaten them. I have no idea what to do in this case. I'm just watching my zoas get eaten... I've tried to turkey baste them off but they don't go anywhere :(

When I transfer stuff from the pico, I'm doing a dip of the corals and there will be no amphipods brought in until I have something that will eat them.

Sucks about the zoas! I had a pretty much identical experience with some of mine. Also dipped everything when moving stuff to my newer tank and everything seems happier and no longer bothered! Not sure if the pods just went away or are just hiding elsewhere in the tank but so far so good

When I transfer stuff from the pico, I'm doing a dip of the corals and there will be no amphipods brought in until I have something that will eat them.

Getcha some Bayer. Will make everything that isn't the coral wish they'd never been born! :)

Getcha some Bayer. Will make everything that isn't the coral wish they'd never been born! :)

I don't want to kill my crabs and stuff, but these dang pods are driving me nuts.

I'm late on your fish selection bit, but if you want a dartfish and the wife wants blue, get a pair of blue gudgeons if you have the space. I didn't read past that page so ignore if you already have fish

You wouldn't be dipping your other livestock lol

Ooooooh, you mean dip the corals in bayer? Lol, I thought you meant treat the whole tank, lol

I'm late on your fish selection bit, but if you want a dartfish and the wife wants blue, get a pair of blue gudgeons if you have the space. I didn't read past that page so ignore if you already have fish

blue gudgeons, huh? I'll look into them, thanks for the idea!

Ooooooh, you mean dip the corals in bayer? Lol, I thought you meant treat the whole tank, lol

Nah, you'd have a bad time if you did that :lol:

blue gudgeons, huh? I'll look into them, thanks for the idea!

They're too skittish for my liking. Even when I had relatively few fish (none of which were really active) the three blue gudgeons would never really even come out, and any time I was in the same room as the tank they'd disappear.

Nah, you'd have a bad time if you did that :lol:

They're too skittish for my liking. Even when I had relatively few fish (none of which were really active) the three blue gudgeons would never really even come out, and any time I was in the same room as the tank they'd disappear.

All I can find is that blue gudgeons need large tanks (>30-50g).

All I can find is that blue gudgeons need large tanks (>30-50g).

Not really. They are long, but overall a low bioload. Probably because they are skittish, though, but I would give one a shot IMHO, they're beautiful fish. I'm considering trying another trio at some point.

Not really. They are long, but overall a low bioload. Probably because they are skittish, though, but I would give one a shot IMHO, they're beautiful fish. I'm considering trying another trio at some point.

Hmmm, I will if I can get one around here. Going to start with a couple of easy fish, though.

lol, Petco $1/gallon sale is going on in October here. They only do it for tanks 10 gallons and up, though. That means that a 5.5 or 2.5g, which is what I want to use for an ATO, will be more expensive than the 10g...

Will your stand hold a 10 gallon tank? If so, it is probably worth it to save the extra money, buy the 10 gallon, and use that for your ato.

You could also use a 5 gallon water jug as your ato bucket. I think they are generally 10 bucks or less, and work well.

+1 to the jug idea. You can use pretty much anything. Hell, a pretty IKEA vase or something would look awesome, too. But if there's going to be a door in front of it, pretty won't matter.

Will your stand hold a 10 gallon tank? If so, it is probably worth it to save the extra money, buy the 10 gallon, and use that for your ato.

You could also use a 5 gallon water jug as your ato bucket. I think they are generally 10 bucks or less, and work well.

Nope, the stand isn't deep enough. I figured out a work around though.

+1 to the jug idea. You can use pretty much anything. Hell, a pretty IKEA vase or something would look awesome, too. But if there's going to be a door in front of it, pretty won't matter.

Yeah I am just going to use a jug.

Polarcollision

Punk rocker zoas may be toast. Amphipods have decided that they like the taste. And yes, I know it's the amphipods this time. I watched it go down. I was cleaning the room the pico is in and started making water for a water change. The punk rockers were out and open and happy, and about 20 minutes later I noticed that they had closed up. Surprise surprise, two larger amphipods were crawling around them. They haven't opened since, and now the main colony looks like it's inside out, with the mouth extending upwards and the rest of the polyp drooping. It no longer has the orange tendrils as the amphipod seems to have eaten them. I have no idea what to do in this case. I'm just watching my zoas get eaten... I've tried to turkey baste them off but they don't go anywhere :(

How I learned to live with them -- after painfully accepting that the beasties are here to stay -- plenty macroalgae to much on. Ochtodes and red titan for now. They prefer to eat that and were apparently (crosses fingers) munching zoas out of desperation.

How I learned to live with them -- after painfully accepting that the beasties are here to stay -- plenty macroalgae to much on. Ochtodes and red titan for now. They prefer to eat that and were apparently (crosses fingers) munching zoas out of desperation.

i was wondering about that. I'll feed the tank tomorrow.

OMG YOU GOT A PUPPY?

lol no not yet. We will be adopting one in the near future. I'm pushing for a slightly older dog. Puppies always get adopted. Older dogs not so much. I don't want them to live their final days in a kennel at a shelter.

I hate amphipods too! I added a big wrasse to my 45g to control the suckers.... they were making my zoas stay closed.

if I had enough of the darn things I'd get a sixline wrasse but I feel like it would eat them all and then starve

i was wondering about that. I'll feed the tank tomorrow.lol no not yet. We will be adopting one in the near future. I'm pushing for a slightly older dog. Puppies always get adopted. Older dogs not so much. I don't want them to live their final days in a kennel at a shelter.

if I had enough of the darn things I'd get a sixline wrasse but I feel like it would eat them all and then starve

Can't you just feed the wrasse after? :blink:

Six lines are great, but there's a definite diconnect since they feed during the day...and the Amphipods are nocturnal :)

Get one of these little nocturanl hunters: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+31+2558&pcatid=2558

Within six months my tank was Amphipod free and has stayed that way for years. I fresh water dip every new rock that I add so I don't reintroduce them. They will feed readily on any normal meaty food or pellets, too, so they won't starve if they run out of Pods.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived