inTank Media Baskets

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

Good luck!

You may want to put the snails in a different container for at least a few hours and just pick out the ones that are obviously alive, just so you don't end up with a bunch of decomposing snails in your tank. That's got to be maddening knowing they were locked up all weekend just down the street :(

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez that sucks about the snails....Stupid UPS. Good luck with getting your tank all squared away! IMO, I agree with Kat's deduction. I had a similar experience with my 4G Cadlight... I was removing too many of the necessary elements out of the water , literally keeping the water too clean. I lost everything except my faithful clown(Now in the 40G). I feel we get a little too eager to rid our systems of algae and impurities that we do more harm than good.

Update:

Most of the snails made it! I put them in a bowl of tank water and almost all of them survived, except the Florida Ceriths. The dwarf ceriths, the nerites, and the nassarius snails all made it and are happily wiling away in the tank this morning.

I also checked the Storm controller and my nanobox and they both work, so I reset up that light! Finally! I also did a BUNCH of cord arrangement last night to keep the nanobox lines 100% away from any flood damage that could occur (though I don't have an ATO on right now anyways).

I swapped out the airstone in the skimmer and vinegar bathed the skimmer housing, the return nozzle, and the powerhead I have in the tank. Got all that gunk off.

I also re-purposed the IM Nuvo 10 mediabasket to fit my needs with filter floss and carbon.

While all this was going on, I mixed my flake fish food, some reef frenzy, and some phytochrom in a mini mason jar that seals well. I gave the tank a GOOD feeding, then proceeded with the rest of my routine.

I did a MAJOR cleaning of the glass - I used some filter floss and a credit card to ensure I got as much as I could get. I gravel vac'd the entire sand bed and I did a 5g water change, which ended up being ~75%. I'll take pictures later.

Checked this morning before I left for work, and it all looked ok. Acans are totally dead - I removed their skeletons last night. Light hasn't come on yet, but I set it to about even between whites and blues. I will take pictures later today.

Haha, good for Duke, too. They played great. I wanted Wisconsin, but only because I flipped a coin 3 times and Wisconsin came up 2 out of 3. I actually had everyone in the Elite 8 correct (except MSU) and MOST of the sweet 16. I picked final 4 (again minus MSU) and called the final between Duke and Wisconsin. Then I couldn't decide who I thought would actually win between the 2 so I flipped a coin - heads for Duke because H is closer to D, and Tails for Wisconsin because T is closer to W.

Yay for a clean tank! And even better news on the snails. It's amazing what they will survive as long as they don't get too hot.

Here is an updated shot as of tonight

qjPJ77W.jpg

And another close up. Please excuse my GS4 pictures.

RbsQVLS.jpg

Interesting note, the storm uses channels 1 and 3 on my light now instead of 1 and 2. Strange.

jedimasterben

Interesting note, the storm uses channels 1 and 3 on my light now instead of 1 and 2. Strange.

Not possible unless you are using a different connector or one that has six pins instead of the typical four that Dave uses, but it would still be the same as it was before :)

Not possible unless you are using a different connector or one that has six pins instead of the typical four that Dave uses, but it would still be the same as it was before :)

Crazy, I know but that is exactly what happened. I set channels 1 and 2 to my other storm settings. Came home today and the light was only the blue channel. Tinkered with all the channels and found out that white is on channel 3. I even had to change all my ramp settings to be channels 1 and 3, not 1 and 2. Channel 2 does nothing, nor do 4 5 or 6. Only 1 and 3. Maybe the wiring to 2 and 3 got swapped?

jedimasterben

Unless you opened the driver housing and changed them, they can't really change. Does the connector where it hooks to the Storm have six positions or four?

Unless you opened the driver housing and changed them, they can't really change. Does the connector where it hooks to the Storm have six positions or four?

I meant prior to me getting it. It is only the 4 pin, I double checked. Plugged in to the first 4 pins where my other storm was plugged in.

Tibbs , I constantly have to clean the connections on my storm controllers or the light will just kick on to full whites for no reason and run 24/7 like that. It happens on my tide, and on the light that the storm you currently have came from. I use a spray can to blow dust out of the connection (have never seen any dust come out) and sometimes run a tiny swab between the connectors and then all is well for a month or two and I have to do it again. You might try that and see if it helps.

jedimasterben

Then it is only physically connected to CH1 and CH2. Only way CH3 could control anything is if the Arduino sketch was misnaming the pins, which is definitely possible lol, but unlikely. Hey, if it is working, its working though. One thing dealing with computers and electronics has taught me that nothing ever usually works as it should :lol:

Tibbs , I constantly have to clean the connections on my storm controllers or the light will just kick on to full whites for no reason and run 24/7 like that. It happens on my tide, and on the light that the storm you currently have came from. I use a spray can to blow dust out of the connection (have never seen any dust come out) and sometimes run a tiny swab between the connectors and then all is well for a month or two and I have to do it again. You might try that and see if it helps.

That doesn't sound good. Salt spray?

Then it is only physically connected to CH1 and CH2. Only way CH3 could control anything is if the Arduino sketch was misnaming the pins, which is definitely possible lol, but unlikely. Hey, if it is working, its working though. One thing dealing with computers and electronics has taught me that nothing ever usually works as it should :lol:

Nope , the one on my tide is nowhere near any source of salt spray and it is the worst of the group. I had 3 (now two) and they all do it

Sometimes at like 3am the tide will just kick on to 100% whites and stay until I physically unplug the entire unit .

My tide is old school tho so it might just be getting bitchy in its old age.

Maybe try some electric grease like you would use in a car light socket to keep the connection clean and well contacted. Like .99 cents at any autozone etc for a little packet.

jedimasterben

Nope , the one on my tide is nowhere near any source of salt spray and it is the worst of the group. I had 3 (now two) and they all do it

Sometimes at like 3am the tide will just kick on to 100% whites and stay until I physically unplug the entire unit .

My tide is old school tho so it might just be getting bitchy in its old age.

WTF. I would email Coralux Ben and see if he will swap them out for you, they either have firmware bugs or the hardware is defective.

So far the light seems ok, it's just odd that the unit is plugged in via 4-pin connector to channels 1 and 2, yet 1 and 3 are the only responsive channels on the unit. I can try and take pictures later, but regardless, the unit and controller work, just not in the same way as they did before. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :D

I checked for salt creep/spray and there is nothing. JBB one thing I learned with my other unit that burned out, and why I arranged my cords this way this time, is that the wire wrap absorbs water and will keep doing so, moving the water up to the controller, so if anything drips on that line it can take the salt water to the controller board. That's how mine fried last time with 2 different drip loop set ups, including one that literally went up and over, attaching the 4-pin connecter to the top of the controller (the controller was upside down). Still pulled water in and fried it.

That's good to know about the cord, and I definitely can see how easily that could happen. I agree that some dielectric grease would help to at least prevent corrosion of the connectors although it could still creep onto the circuit board.

And that was great news about the snails!

Jeez that sucks about the snails....Stupid UPS. Good luck with getting your tank all squared away! IMO, I agree with Kat's deduction. I had a similar experience with my 4G Cadlight... I was removing too many of the necessary elements out of the water , literally keeping the water too clean. I lost everything except my faithful clown(Now in the 40G). I feel we get a little too eager to rid our systems of algae and impurities that we do more harm than good.

there had to be a reason those algaes were made in the first place, because of that we need to learn to make our tanks work regardless of the algae growing, the way nature does it.

I knew it was possible for those snails to live, and I'm glad they did :)

there had to be a reason those algaes were made in the first place, because of that we need to learn to make our tanks work regardless of the algae growing, the way nature does it.

I knew it was possible for those snails to live, and I'm glad they did :)

Exactly. Especially with newer systems...Its all part of the process.

Looks like you're doing okay now tibbs! Hope it continues!

Yeah, I think we get a little bit anti-algae heavy, and I am one of the worst. I always try to keep it simple stupid, but the tinkerer and the optimizer in me tries to keep fixing things to make the tank the best it can be. Really, I just need to leave it alone, but it's hard!

We finally finished the room up a bit more so I can actually go in there and sit and relax, read, watch the tank. I'll be spending more time in there now.

That's great news! I've found it makes a huge difference to have a tank where I can see it all the time. It's so much easier to leave the glass unscraped when you don't have to look at it :)

I've also fed every day except yesterday. I have a little food slurry I made, and that I keep refrigerated. So far everything seems to like it.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived