Pod Your Reef

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

Here is a question - Seachem Reef Fusion I & II - is that different (really) from Kent Marine Nano Reef Parts A and B? They both have the same instructions. Is Seachem more reliable than Kent Marine?

Question- so I WAS using Kent A & B nano but it was just too diluted for my needs. I bought B-Ionic components 1 (Alk) and 2 (Ca), what do you think of those?

It looks like I will be needing about 15ml each daily

PEECHURS DOC! Don't make me come over there!

Soon ;)

Question- so I WAS using Kent A & B nano but it was just too diluted for my needs. I bought B-Ionic components 1 (Alk) and 2 (Ca), what do you think of those?

honestly i dont know much about dosing at all.
jedimasterben

With your water volume, 15mL of a concentrated and balanced solution will add roughly 5ppm calcium and .15dkh alkalinity. IMHO I wouldn't waste my money buying liquid solutions. Just mix some calcium chloride solution and baking soda solution according to RHF's recipe.
HarryPotter

With your water volume, 15mL of a concentrated and balanced solution will add roughly 5ppm calcium and .15dkh alkalinity. IMHO I wouldn't waste my money buying liquid solutions. Just mix some calcium chloride solution and baking soda solution according to RHF's recipe.

I'm too nervous for that, but what about the BRS 2 part powders? I could theoretically make a gallon of each, which will last a LONG time

I'm too nervous for that, but what about the BRS 2 part powders? I could theoretically make a gallon of each, which will last a LONG time

that could work. Do what is best for your tank, wallet, time, etc.

In my case I literally despise my rockscape. The rock itself is fine but i really hate the layout. I would prefer one big chunk if it's going to be like it is now. Ugh. It makes me rage every time i see the tank.

OK - I need some advice on rock scaping. Has anyone ever done re-scaping with coral attached? I think I am going to take all the rock out for 15 minutes or so, and basically make it all one big clump. Melev's reef had a great idea in that he drills pilot holes into his dry rock and then uses those as frag "holes". He uses glue and epoxy to connect the coral frags to hard airline/straws and then uses that to stick in to the rock holes. They stay in place but can be moved if they need to be. I don't have the opportunity to do this in my current rock, but I do have an extra piece of rock that could be useful.

I like the general layout of the rock, kind of, but I really dislike the fact that it's all in pieces and the epoxy didn't really hold it together. I might have to zip tie it or something. I dunno.

It keeps slipping further apart and closer to the glass, preventing me from actually scraping some of it clean. The snails aren't doing a great job, either, so there are always fuzzy spots on my glass.

I rescape all the time. My corals are very attached. You can pull them out of the water for 20-30 minutes. I've done it for an hour or 2, but stick to 30 tops. Glue-epoxy-glue. That's sandwich holds anything.

In my case I literally despise my rockscape. The rock itself is fine but i really hate the layout. I would prefer one big chunk if it's going to be like it is now. Ugh. It makes me rage every time i see the tank.

Raging over rockscapes is no good!!! It is supposed to be relaxing looking at your tank, not stressful!

Agreed.

I'm looking at 2 options. KP Aquatics sells their premium cured live rock - 10lbs shipped to me for $55. Great rock, but no way to choose what I get.

Or I get 15lbs of dry rock from Reefcleaners for $38 shipped, plus jestersix's mortar kit for about 20, and I can make my own scape as I choose and have some left over for the pico I am setting up.

New FTS - sorry for the quality

NIOKN7R.jpg

New acans

t2qtjFn.jpg

1 of 3 new zoas

rKUrBit.jpg

2 of 3 new zoas

NDUyXEI.jpg

Blueberry gorg and the third set of zoas. I initially put these zoas near the kenya tree but they kept being brushed by the kenya tree, so i moved them, but used a new glue tube. Too bad it's liquid not gel - didn't realize this as it was a gift, and the zoas kind of got all smeared in it. Most of the heads are out of it, though.

VGNBlyT.jpg

New FTS - sorry for the quality

NIOKN7R.jpg

New acans

t2qtjFn.jpg

1 of 3 new zoas

rKUrBit.jpg

2 of 3 new zoas

NDUyXEI.jpg

Blueberry gorg and the third set of zoas. I initially put these zoas near the kenya tree but they kept being brushed by the kenya tree, so i moved them, but used a new glue tube. Too bad it's liquid not gel - didn't realize this as it was a gift, and the zoas kind of got all smeared in it. Most of the heads are out of it, though.

VGNBlyT.jpg

I happen to like your rockscape! But it really is about what YOU like. Everything looks good!

I happen to like your rockscape! But it really is about what YOU like. Everything looks good!

Thanks :) Yeah I hate it. It's not the size or the shape - it's the lack of connectedness. It always shifts and makes it hard to clean the tank.

Ok - I think I am simply using this tank as housing for a bit until i can get my office pico set up. I'm going to make a nice scape in the meantime for the pico and get it how I want it. Then I'll transfer most, if not all, to the pico for a bit. Then I'll re-work the scape in this tank. Or sell it and just stick with the pico...

I'm realizing I actually REALLY dislike the tank, too, not just the rockscape. AIOs have their purpose (a recent reefbuilders article suggests they will save our hobby, and in many ways they are correct). But I'm finding that large AIOs have a decent amount of working room in the rear area, whereas the smaller ones like the IM10, don't. I can't get my hands in there at all. And so all my work has to be done in the display. Which makes the water cloudy and gross and kicks up sand. They are a cool idea, but not for everyone. I am one they are not really for, it seems.

Sorry you aren't very happy with your tank. I can understand why though. I'm glad I didn't go for something smaller than the fusion 20.

Sorry you aren't very happy with your tank. I can understand why though. I'm glad I didn't go for something smaller than the fusion 20.

I like <20g tanks by default - I'm more of a pico and small nano kind of guy. I really just don't like AIOs though. I had a 12g AIO before and I wasn't a fan because of how hard it was to do anything in the "sump" area. This one has the same issue - AIOs are great for some people, but not me, it seems. Oh well :) It'll do for now. Gotta look a the bright side, right?

You are not considering using epoxy to finalize the aquascape?

I've tried epoxy, but it doesn't seem to be useful for long. It also makes the water get all cattywampus.

jestersix uses emaco to make amazing scapes. He sells a nano kit of the mortar and stuff for $30 shipped to me. I think I am going to get some and re-make my rockscape. We'll see. I'm thinking that once I set up the pico at work, I may sell this tank and then do a 10g cube drilled to a small sump. We'll see.

HarryPotter

I've tried epoxy, but it doesn't seem to be useful for long. It also makes the water get all cattywampus.

jestersix uses emaco to make amazing scapes. He sells a nano kit of the mortar and stuff for $30 shipped to me. I think I am going to get some and re-make my rockscape. We'll see. I'm thinking that once I set up the pico at work, I may sell this tank and then do a 10g cube drilled to a small sump. We'll see.

Orrrrrr you could toss most of the rock and go with nice fresh cheap ReefCleaners! Make an awesome scape with the mortar and be happy :)

Orrrrrr you could toss most of the rock and go with nice fresh cheap ReefCleaners! Make an awesome scape with the mortar and be happy :)

Yeah, that's an extra 40 bucks that I don't really need to spend, lol. I started with dry rock from jedimasterben - was a mixture of BRS, reefcleaners (i think) and a few other pieces.

HarryPotter

Yeah, that's an extra 40 bucks that I don't really need to spend, lol. I started with dry rock from jedimasterben - was a mixture of BRS, reefcleaners (i think) and a few other pieces.

I have about 20 lbs extra ReefCleaners sitting in my closet in a few HD buckets. If you pay standard flat rate shipping (<15, I believe) Ill send it to you :)

I can take some pictures if you like

Edit:

PM'd

I dont know how much work it would entail, but perhaps you could pull the AIO chambers out of this tank, drill it, and add a small sump to it.

I miss having a sump for sure, but since I don't run a skimmer or anything, I don't have to monkey around in the back chambers at all.

I'm sorry you are unahppy with the tank. :-(

I agree with you Tibbsy, it takes a certain mindset to enjoy an AIO. When I got my IM10, one of the things I was most excited about was that the back chambers were so much bigger than the ones in my 4g :lol:

The small size of the chambers doesn't bother me as much, but I don't really do much of anything in the back chambers. I just pull the media basket in and out, and leave the rest pretty much alone. I've got a small siphon I stick down in the back chambers to suck out goop every three or four months, and that's it.

On the bright side, the IM10 is a popular AIO with a good reputation, so I'd bet you can sell it for a decent price. Maybe you could try a 20g or a 10g with a HOB, like Gena did with her new tank?

I dont know how much work it would entail, but perhaps you could pull the AIO chambers out of this tank, drill it, and add a small sump to it.

I miss having a sump for sure, but since I don't run a skimmer or anything, I don't have to monkey around in the back chambers at all.

I'm sorry you are unahppy with the tank. :-(

I am likely going to take the skimmer out again. I have it in the lower position on the 2nd baffle wall that some have reported success with but it is still doing nothing, lol. I didnt really want an AIO again but made a compromise with my wife. She hated seeing all the hob stuff and wanted a bigger tank. I wanted a sumped system to hide everything on a bigger tank but couldnt afford what i really wanted, so we met in the middle and went with the 10g aio. I think i just need new rock work and itll be fine.

I agree with you Tibbsy, it takes a certain mindset to enjoy an AIO. When I got my IM10, one of the things I was most excited about was that the back chambers were so much bigger than the ones in my 4g :lol:

The small size of the chambers doesn't bother me as much, but I don't really do much of anything in the back chambers. I just pull the media basket in and out, and leave the rest pretty much alone. I've got a small siphon I stick down in the back chambers to suck out goop every three or four months, and that's it.

On the bright side, the IM10 is a popular AIO with a good reputation, so I'd bet you can sell it for a decent price. Maybe you could try a 20g or a 10g with a HOB, like Gena did with her new tank?

Cant do the hob thing. Wife hates seeing all the gear. That was why i went aio again, even though my last aio wasnt my thing. I can deal with the tank and rear areas if i can make the rock look good. I wish i could fit the dual switches of the jbj ato back there and not rely on just one. Womp womp.

Im turning dirty thirty this month, so my family has asked about birthday stuff. Trying to figure out some stuff to ask for

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived