SaltCritters.com

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

If you do end up selling your 10, let me know :)

And I'm turning 41 this month. That's a BIG womp womp.

i probably will sell it. Ill let you know if/when but for the price plus shipping, youd probably be better spending a few extra bucks to get a new one with warranty if you decide you want the 10.

Another june baby! Are you later in the month or pretty soon? I am almost the end

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i probably will sell it. Ill let you know if/when but for the price plus shipping, youd probably be better spending a few extra bucks to get a new one with warranty if you decide you want the 10.

Another june baby! Are you later in the month or pretty soon? I am almost the end

Good point on the shipping!!

Mine is the 12th - so almost dead center :)

All the good ones are born in June!

Good point on the shipping!!

Mine is the 12th - so almost dead center :)

All the good ones are born in June!

True, true. 22nd here :)

I like <20g tanks by default - I'm more of a pico and small nano kind of guy. I really just don't like AIOs though. I had a 12g AIO before and I wasn't a fan because of how hard it was to do anything in the "sump" area. This one has the same issue - AIOs are great for some people, but not me, it seems. Oh well :) It'll do for now. Gotta look a the bright side, right?

What kind of things are you looking to do in the back of AIO? To me, the back is set it and forget it kind of thing. I change our the filter floss and vacuum detritus once in awhile, but that's it. Are you referring to adding skimmers / reactors / etc?

What kind of things are you looking to do in the back of AIO? To me, the back is set it and forget it kind of thing. I change our the filter floss and vacuum detritus once in awhile, but that's it. Are you referring to adding skimmers / reactors / etc?

Right now it's simply about not having enough room to even put 2 float switches for the JBJ ATO - and they aren't very big. I don't trust the single switch because of the 2 floods I have had using it (I contacted JBJ and they told me to test each switch individually by hand - if the problem wasn't intermittent then I would trust those results). I wanted to put both in, one right side up for the water level switch and one upside down to turn off the water if it gets too high. They both don't fit, though. I may just end up with a smart ATO so I only have to worry about the small profile in the ATO return area. As for the rear - it is really limited - I don;t want to do a lot. i just want a damn skimmer that works. But unless I go with the Ghost skimmer series, nothing seems to work - and that has such mixed reviews, I won't spend $150 to risk it. Not to mention any time I have to do a water change, the whole display gets all wonky. Id prefer to be able to do my maintenance in a sump where the display isn't messed with as much.

HarryPotter

Hey TIbbsy07:

Do you want the ReefCleaners or not? I have way too much and will have to just throw it in the garden (Huge waste IMO) soon to get it out of the house. Probably around 20lbs,

I was able to fit both sensors in my IM10 using the Tunze ATO. I mounted the overflow sensor up high so it was mostly on top of the refill sensor, which was several inches below. I think there's a picture in my thread. The tunze sensors aren't small so maybe you can do the same thing with the JBJ.

I was able to fit both sensors in my IM10 using the Tunze ATO. I mounted the overflow sensor up high so it was mostly on top of the refill sensor, which was several inches below. I think there's a picture in my thread. The tunze sensors aren't small so maybe you can do the same thing with the JBJ.

I have removed my skimmer (Over the last week I have obtained a liter of skimmate, all clear water - either bubbles all the way or nothing :( ) so i have a lot more room in the back area. I can fit both switches now, because the "off" switch can be anywhere in the rear area as the water level will be the same in chambers 2 and 3 as it gets too high. Now the problem...

ATO Conundrum:

I contaced JBJ about the ATO flooding my tank 2 times and they told me to manually trigger the ATO with my finger and test to see if the switch responds. Tonight I did that with both switches.

Switch 1: Is not recognized by the ATO unit in either port. Does not respond to lifting or dropping. Non-functional switch.

Switch 2: plugs in, lights up the "Sensor 1" light. Responds to being down and having water flow, then lifted up to stop water flow... kind of.

Here is the conundrum: When I lift up switch 2, the pump power light on the ATO unit turns off as though the pump is no longer being powered. The ATO, however, continues to power the pump. It is only after a random amount of time (it varies from 2 - 30 seconds, so far as I have tested) do I hear a "click" and the pump turns off. I think that means the ATO unit is bad. The switch seems to be telling the ATO what to do, but the ATO doesn't seem to be listening.

I thought about just using it anyways... But the biggest risk with trying to use it is that my tank is so small, that even on a 3-minute maximum pump time, that can overflow the tank. 3 minutes doesn't seem like a lot, but I only need like 1 gallon to overflow my tank completely. It doesn't take long to pump that much water. Clearly it doesn't or I wouldn't have had 2 floods previously.

Well, at least that would explain your mysterious overflow problems. And good idea on putting the overflow switch in chamber 2. I wonder if JBJ would replace the controller?

Well, at least that would explain your mysterious overflow problems. And good idea on putting the overflow switch in chamber 2. I wonder if JBJ would replace the controller?

Doubt it - I got it used from Kat. I don't think it's under warranty anymore ;)

JBJ says they think it is a float switch issue. That I need to replace the float switches. Here is what I don't understand...

If the float switch is faulty, why does the pump light turn off when the switch it lifted (telling the ATO to stop power to the pump) and the pump light comes back on if I drop the switch to allow for water to pump? Wouldn't it make more sense that the ATO unit itself is bad? If the switch is telling the ATO when to turn the pump on and off (hence the lights turning on and off), that means the switch is doing its job, correct? If the switch is telling the ATO what to do, but the ATO isn't doing it, doesn't that mean that the ATO is bad?

Either way - replacing the switches would be around $50. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I have to buy a new ATO anyways ($70).

I've been reading reviews of the tunze 3152 and the smart ATO, and it seems the tunze is more widely liked and reliable. Teeny has the tunze rigged up in his tank, and likes it. I may go that route. That option is only $100. If the float switches aren't the issue (and I won't know until I buy them) then buying those and the ATO new would end up costing me more than a brand new tunze

I also have the Tunze 3152 and love it. Given the fact that space is limited in the back of the biocube, I really liked that I only needed one sensor and it has the eye sensor rather than a float switch along with the auto shutoff after 3 minutes. I felt that was the safest way to go.

can you open the jbj controller case or is it completely sealed? what you describe (sensor works and activates pump and light then when it shuts off light the pump continues running) sounds like a relay failure.

Do you hear an audible click when the pump kicks on and off? If you can open it up in some cases you would be able to visually see the relay opening and closing (dont touch anything in there if you operate it with the cover off!!!!) thats my disclaimer even though to most its a duh. My guess is potentially a bad spring in a relay if it is that type, when electricity engages the relay it compresses the spring and lets electricity through the path, but when the signal goes off the spring isn't strong enough to push the relay out and the path stays open for too long (explaining your random pump timings) and causing random floods.

Also if thats the case you will occasionally be able to see tiny black burns all over the inside the of housing because of mini arc'ing where the relay isn't fully engaged but close enough to allow electricity to jump the distance. (you also may be able to smell electrical type burning residue if you give the housing a good smell while its all sealed up) if you smell that just toss it its not safe to run like that from a flood standpoint and a fire safety one. could maybe replace it, but they sound cheap to die under ato usage and dont last long enough.

can you open the jbj controller case or is it completely sealed? what you describe (sensor works and activates pump and light then when it shuts off light the pump continues running) sounds like a relay failure.

Do you hear an audible click when the pump kicks on and off? If you can open it up in some cases you would be able to visually see the relay opening and closing (dont touch anything in there if you operate it with the cover off!!!!) thats my disclaimer even though to most its a duh. My guess is potentially a bad spring in a relay if it is that type, when electricity engages the relay it compresses the spring and lets electricity through the path, but when the signal goes off the spring isn't strong enough to push the relay out and the path stays open for too long (explaining your random pump timings) and causing random floods.

Also if thats the case you will occasionally be able to see tiny black burns all over the inside the of housing because of mini arc'ing where the relay isn't fully engaged but close enough to allow electricity to jump the distance. (you also may be able to smell electrical type burning residue if you give the housing a good smell while its all sealed up) if you smell that just toss it its not safe to run like that from a flood standpoint and a fire safety one. could maybe replace it, but they sound cheap to die under ato usage and dont last long enough.

I'll give this a try - i can open it up and see. I do hear an audible click when the pump turns off, eventually. I'll have to take a look tonight when I get home.

JBJ says they think it is a float switch issue. That I need to replace the float switches. Here is what I don't understand...

If the float switch is faulty, why does the pump light turn off when the switch it lifted (telling the ATO to stop power to the pump) and the pump light comes back on if I drop the switch to allow for water to pump? Wouldn't it make more sense that the ATO unit itself is bad? If the switch is telling the ATO when to turn the pump on and off (hence the lights turning on and off), that means the switch is doing its job, correct? If the switch is telling the ATO what to do, but the ATO isn't doing it, doesn't that mean that the ATO is bad?

Either way - replacing the switches would be around $50. If that doesn't fix the problem, then I have to buy a new ATO anyways ($70).

I've been reading reviews of the tunze 3152 and the smart ATO, and it seems the tunze is more widely liked and reliable. Teeny has the tunze rigged up in his tank, and likes it. I may go that route. That option is only $100. If the float switches aren't the issue (and I won't know until I buy them) then buying those and the ATO new would end up costing me more than a brand new tunze

Harry got the switches for $5

Hi! Standard EBAY float switches work perfectly. Its just a positive and negative lead :)

Ahhh, THIS harry ;) I thought kat meant a vendor or something.

JBJ returned an email - now they DON'T think it's the float switch but an issue with the relay <_< I am going to look online at ebay tonight and then also look at the ATO relay to see if something else is wrong. I could always go with an autotopoff.com set up.

HarryPotter

Ahhh, THIS harry ;) I thought kat meant a vendor or something.

No, not them! Any reference to "Harry" probably refers to I, the amazing Harry

Honestly, after all the ATO issues I had with my Tunze Nano ATO, I stopped using one. I just fill up manually every morning and every night.

What was (were) your issue(s)?

What was (were) your issue(s)?

Honestly, after all the ATO issues I had with my Tunze Nano ATO, I stopped using one. I just fill up manually every morning and every night.

I'm curious too as if there are issues to look out for, I definitely want to know!

if they are indeed the spring type relays a simple fix may be to stretch out the spring a bit and wedge it back into place. Worst case scenario is you stretch it too much on your first attempt and the relay fails off instead of on like it has been. It should be normally off for its application and based on failure symptoms.

Here's an example but your relay is likely way smaller so may not be worth tinkering with it

http://351winsor.com/joel/Electrical/NC_5prong_relay.jpg

Hey TIbbsy07:

Do you want the ReefCleaners or not? I have way too much and will have to just throw it in the garden (Huge waste IMO) soon to get it out of the house. Probably around 20lbs,

^^^ Harry

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived