inTank Media Baskets

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Well, that's a good point. That would be a lot of water to lug back and forth. yup! New tank thread :) And that's great that you'll be in Denver all week!

Ya, 3 day work week?. Fun day today- making water and doing water changes- might hook my protein skimmer up on the 50g.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back!

Thanks man - it's good to be home ? fun day working on the tanks today

So, how was California? Stupid hot and dry for November....right???? LOLGood news...60s all this week :happydance:.

Wonderfully warm ?. 60's - That's a good change for you! It was a good Dental Symposium. Spent the day working on the tank- update shots coming tonight ?

Fun day today spent working on the tanks. Adjusted my doser again now that I removed some large colonies I had to reduce the daily output but reduced too much. Alk. was at 4 when I came home last night. Bumped things up and should be at 7 in the morning. Still struggling with some green cyano- did a 3gal. w/c today and changed out my GFO/Carbon. It will be good to be around this week to crank up my maintenance.

Here's some iPad shots

FTS

8ee0daf3441ce94f0a15503ea9a91fe9_zpsmlht

Corals are all showing the damage from being crowded and fighting on their sides now that I have some spacing.

0be46e24e314b931be09d7d223d5d012_zpsbyyg

Encrusting Monti's are bathing in light again and responding well. Spin stream poci growing along- yes it's still spinning!

62f38d54b720e41d2baef8c77fc1fac9_zps8vdf

f9278eae51c57bbb7badfc0e380343d1_zpstzow

Dusted off the good camera and got some macro shots in

Purple Rimmed green cap

PXjrapA.jpg

uS3AzLs.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest

caZKRQQ.jpg

And the Poci has even set up shop inside the Birdsnest- unbelievable how aggressive and prolific it is - right in the middle

J2mJMkK.jpg

Neighboring corals- green Pocillopora and purple stylo

v1s1081.jpg

Green tipped stylo

GFn2RZ7.jpg

Grafted cap

oE3O7rq.jpg

I originally thought this coral was Pavona but now I believe it to be a Lepastrea- it's distinct lines

ZPueNJX.jpg

Benny hiding out under the Idaho Grape

hVxiocb.jpg

gbSEHF5.jpg

Spin stream Pocillopora

34bgPLx.jpg

White little puff ball migrates around in the shade

KmkekPK.jpg

FTS

PmgeJZY.jpg

Love that poci! What is the white puffball?

It's a love/hate with the Poci for sure- they spawn up everywhere ?. Not sure what it's- some Skype of sponge?? It can move though- it sends out stringers and pulls itself around

That is crazy! :wacko:

Ya, there are about 10 different offshoots all around the tank? and they tend to outgrow everyone- would be a great coral for a species tank

Love the pics of the tsb. I may have to get one of those some time as they are so cute and personable. The FTS looks good.

Thanks Dawn, yes I would recommend- very comical and and is peaceful with my clowns etc.,?

Looks great! That white sponge cracks me up!

Hahaha - ya it's crazy how mobile it is

Clowns were out again tonight so I grabbed some quick shots

5f409e48615061a5bd63360d5846bc04_zpsjhz0

8da253cc1c8318cc5f1d3ce0a0aa866a_zps4lly

I think you were right the first time on that coral. It looks more like Pavona than Leptastrea to me.

Must be exiting to have that new tank sat there waiting after filling the first one so thoroughly. A blank canvas. Is there any "this time I'm definitely going to...." stuff you have in mind?

It's a love/hate with the Poci for sure- they spawn up everywhere . Not sure what it's- some Skype of sponge?? It can move though- it sends out stringers and pulls itself around

Sounds like a bivalve with a sponge growing on it.

I think you were right the first time on that coral. It looks more like Pavona than Leptastrea to me.

Must be exiting to have that new tank sat there waiting after filling the first one so thoroughly. A blank canvas. Is there any "this time I'm definitely going to...." stuff you have in mind?

I don't know the more it opens the more it looks like a Lepastrea- we'll see how it develops. Yes, defiantly going with less rock and more outcroppings. I am gonna try to stay with more smooth skin acros and give them room to grow into nice colonies- at least that's the plan ?Although I love my stylo's and Caps so I will keep them also. Keeping with Kent salt on this tank I really like how stable it is- very predictable.

Sounds like a bivalve with a sponge growing on it.

Hmmm....that's cool they paired up- that must be how it can move so quickly.......how about an ID on the coral I posted farther up this page as either Pavona or Lepastrea - watcha think?

I don't know the more it opens the more it looks like a Lepastrea- we'll see how it develops. Yes, defiantly going with less rock and more outcroppings. I am gonna try to stay with more smooth skin acros and give them room to grow into nice colonies- at least that's the plan Although I love my stylo's and Caps so I will keep them also. Keeping with Kent salt on this tank I really like how stable it is- very predictable.

Hmmm....that's cool they paired up- that must be how it can move so quickly.......how about an ID on the coral I posted farther up this page as either Pavona or Lepastrea - watcha think?

Yeah. Give them lots of room. I remember that idea... :lol:

Then fast forward to me trying desperately to find space for one more frag.... Too many beautiful corals out there. That's the problem.

you know, the Spinstream Ponci really has me thinking. What if someone created a mechanism to move the coral rapidly around the tank rather than just move the water around it?

Par would be more even and definitely better movement/exposure to more water.

Something simple.... Perhaps a spinning round frag rack that alternates directions every 5 seconds.

Looking good. That poci in the birdsnest is crazy!

Thanks man, I know! I am gonna have to dig it out - so aggressive it will kill anything it touches

Yeah. Give them lots of room. I remember that idea... :lol:

Then fast forward to me trying desperately to find space for one more frag.... Too many beautiful corals out there. That's the problem.

Hahahaha- ya I know.....minimalist.......for sure this time?. I do plan on buying a few expensive acros and see how that goes- might go the Jason Fox route?. He has some pretty unique acros that if I could manage to grow them into colonies it would be really cool! My fuzzy sticks are much more forgiving so I am gonna have to step up my game for sure

I think you should leave this one running too :wub:.

I would love to but my wife is not having it- two tanks in one room is not appealing to her?. Secretly I know she enjoys taking care of the tank when I am away and I am trying to make her commit to a tank but it's not going well. She loves clowns in anemones and I offered to convert the tank to that but no dice............I'll keep working on her........it may take a loooong time to transfer everyone over?

you know, the Spinstream Ponci really has me thinking. What if someone created a mechanism to move the coral rapidly around the tank rather than just move the water around it?

Par would be more even and definitely better movement/exposure to more water.

Something simple.... Perhaps a spinning round frag rack that alternates directions every 5 seconds.

Hmmm......yes you are thinking about this?. A conveyor belt moving them around

How about adapting one of this rotisserie things that they spit roast chickens on? :lol::lol:

The sign could read "rotisserie coral for sale". ?

Good morning from the reef?

bb2ac3a9b0595ff99953d9350e242887_zpscldu

969c16a08f8e1c7e377b95c332084c5f_zps38yu

Had about 10 deer around the other morning. One large buck and a small one and a bunch of doe- they walk right around the pool

016168a8e981bdfd92752583f07465f4_zps3zwg

and chill in the shade

4941680a37661bf0cc21f87faee1c02c_zpsy6l3

Mr. Tanky

ced68f072561857cf0a70302f75c5bf6_zpsjjex

Bella Bean

eac8d2636fe34b69ea0647e8707840c1_zpsoy4b

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ?

fe40e0a6e4f84c12f8e231c854666051_zpsgl6y

Archived