inTank Media Baskets

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

What I did when I was transferring my IM 16 gallon tank to another buddies of mine. I work at my local fish store and i got shipping bags and some LFS will carry them they might cost $2 or less. The are thick walled bags and place them in a bucket just in case of popping. had SPS and all were all good.

Thanks! Mine should be pretty easy since the tanks are on opposite sides of the room. Same salt, temp, and salinity so the water chemistry should be fairly even just not as dirty( nitrate and phos.) I don't acclimate corals - only fish and inverts. My lfs doesn't either - never lost a coral from placing in a tank. Hopefully it should go really smooth

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome tanks. I am interested to see what setting works best for you on the gyre. I have an SCA 45 with a gyre, and I am still trying to figure out what seems to work best.

Awesome tanks. I am interested to see what setting works best for you on the gyre. I have an SCA 45 with a gyre, and I am still trying to figure out what seems to work best.

Hey thank you. Ya, I am interested in that also ?. My return pump is over sized( sicce3.0 714gph) for the tank so I dialed it back to its lowest setting but it's still a little to strong - especially if I add a Gyre. I am gonna but a ball valve after it to reduce it even more and then add the gyre. What settings have you played with and how has it worked in your tank? Do you get a wave motion?

Hey thank you. Ya, I am interested in that also . My return pump is over sized( sicce3.0 714gph) for the tank so I dialed it back to its lowest setting but it's still a little to strong - especially if I add a Gyre. I am gonna but a ball valve after it to reduce it even more and then add the gyre. What settings have you played with and how has it worked in your tank? Do you get a wave motion?

The pump that came with mine is way too strong as well. I have a ball valve on it. I have messed around with the constant speed mode, the alternating direction mode, and the pulse mode. So far, pulse seems to be the best. I only have it set to about 30% with about 6 seconds between pulses. It creates a decent wave and allows for random flow when combined with the powerheads. My only wish would be that you could change the time between pulses AND the length of the pulses independently instead of them being the same length.

Norco- which is like Vicodin. They worked "ok" but for short periods and made me a little crazy headed.......I've transitioned into Ibuprofen and Tylenol now. Heading to Chicago next week for Tuesday and Wednesday- should be an interesting trip through security with a plate in me now- do you guys have snow?

Ahh i was bummed out when i first went through security with my plate, they never pick it up!

The pump that came with mine is way too strong as well. I have a ball valve on it. I have messed around with the constant speed mode, the alternating direction mode, and the pulse mode. So far, pulse seems to be the best. I only have it set to about 30% with about 6 seconds between pulses. It creates a decent wave and allows for random flow when combined with the powerheads. My only wish would be that you could change the time between pulses AND the length of the pulses independently instead of them being the same length.

Great info, thank you. Pulse does sound interesting. Do you have it positioned horizontal or vertical- I may try it vertical on the back wall to try and keep it out of view a bit and see if that moves the water around the front. So you are running additional powerheads? I'll probably try to keep enough movement with just the gyre - I got used to the look of a tank without a powerhead with my Nuvo and spin streams- hopefully the gyre will do the trick

Ahh i was bummed out when i first went through security with my plate, they never pick it up!

So I have Clear Me- which is nice but not in many airports but gets me through fast- I was in a sling so they asked what's wrong and since I couldn't raise my hands above my shoulders with my left arm for the scan they wanted to used a wand and I ended up waiting. The wand never came so I started to get irritated with my computer and things just sitting there so they just quickly frisked my arm and let me through - kinda ridiculous. I was able to get a pre boarding pass though because of the sling cause I figured I would struggle getting my carry on into the overhead. I got on early but no one helped me get it in the overhead so I did a round house swing with one arm and got it up there- kinda funny

Good luck! I remember flying with a sling after shoulder surgery and it sucked sitting on the plane with people bumping my arm every ten seconds or so. At least that's how I remember it :D

Interesting shot I took last week- my season's greetings in the back was only getting light in an area the size of a half dollar- that's what's green. The pale reddish areas I figured were dead but once I exposed it again I saw red polyps still on the red areas so it was still alive there- I'll have to get some macro shots when I get back home. Pretty hardy coral for sure? the red encrusting Monti to the right of it was getting more light so it's doing better but now it has full light and should flourish. Both of these corals will be placed in the middle center of my 50g with my purple rimmed green cap and Idaho grape- should be a cool look once they start to grow together. Check out the spinstream- almost fully covered by the poci?

7d8444b7d8c6a1151b950daf787b09e8_zpsmx4s

Good luck! I remember flying with a sling after shoulder surgery and it sucked sitting on the plane with people bumping my arm every ten seconds or so. At least that's how I remember it :D

OMG- for sure- I am an isle guy so I had my other hand ready to catch people's backpacks etc. ........I caught a few ?

Great info, thank you. Pulse does sound interesting. Do you have it positioned horizontal or vertical- I may try it vertical on the back wall to try and keep it out of view a bit and see if that moves the water around the front. So you are running additional powerheads? I'll probably try to keep enough movement with just the gyre - I got used to the look of a tank without a powerhead with my Nuvo and spin streams- hopefully the gyre will do the trick

Right now, it is running horizontal. I am not running any other power heads. I just have my return nozzles aimed to sort of break up the repetitive flow of the gyre and make it all more random. No additional power heads. The gyre is PLENTY. I used to have it set up vertically, but switched to horizontal. I am tempted to go back to vertical. It does not take much power to really get the water moving. I have never been able to go over 30% without the gyre creating some sand movement/relocation.

Right now, it is running horizontal. I am not running any other power heads. I just have my return nozzles aimed to sort of break up the repetitive flow of the gyre and make it all more random. No additional power heads. The gyre is PLENTY. I used to have it set up vertically, but switched to horizontal. I am tempted to go back to vertical. It does not take much power to really get the water moving. I have never been able to go over 30% without the gyre creating some sand movement/relocation.

Ya that's what I am worried about- the sandstorm. Let me know what you think of it vertically - what are the dimensions of your tank?

OMG- for sure- I am an isle guy so I had my other hand ready to catch people's backpacks etc. ........I caught a few

My hubby is an isle guy too, although not by choice. He has to have the Isle so his left leg which is amputated can stick out. He is also 6 ft 6 in tall. Because of that he always gets early boarding. Once his connection flight was late and he missed early boarding. He told the crew that he could not sit in the seat that was left unless he took his pants off so he could take his leg off! Ha ha, they got him a seat he could sit in.

My hubby is an isle guy too, although not by choice. He has to have the Isle so his left leg which is amputated can stick out. He is also 6 ft 6 in tall. Because of that he always gets early boarding. Once his connection flight was late and he missed early boarding. He told the crew that he could not sit in the seat that was left unless he took his pants off so he could take his leg off! Ha ha, they got him a seat he could sit in.

Hahaha- that's an awesome story- not that he has an amputated leg but the airline?. Is it difficult for him to ride his motorcycle?

thank you- it really is........just needs an empty pool in the backyard but my wife draws the line there. what do you think about my idea of having a portable tank to take up there? I would love to have a little tank to fiddle with

I think it would be really cool if you could figure out a portable tank :) What about something where you really glue down the rockscape to the glass bottom and go bare bottom so you don't have sand moving around? Then just empty out some of the water when you travel.

Ya that's what I am worried about- the sandstorm. Let me know what you think of it vertically - what are the dimensions of your tank?

When I had it vertical, I could not go above 30% on the constant speed. I mean, I could but I would end up with sand slowly moving into piles after a few days. My tank dimension are 24" wide x 20" deep x 24" height.

Hahaha- that's an awesome story- not that he has an amputated leg but the airline. Is it difficult for him to ride his motorcycle?

It's is a marvelous story about him and the motorcycle. I was a biker first and had ridden motorcycles since I was 14 or 15 years old. Dave didn't like bikes or the image that came with it in those days, (it was the 70s and bikers were considered rebellious and unruly). I eventually sold my 125 Yamaha to pay for college. I never quit longing for a bike after we were married though. When I turned 40 Dave said I could buy a used bike but he did not want me pressuring him into the hobby. I honored that and one day when we were going to a motorcycle salvage yard to buy a crash bar for my bike, (I was on my bike and he was following in our car) he decided it looked like fun after all. That's when we got the CB 750 for him. I taught him to ride in a school parking lot that summer. Anyway it was the very next year that he got cancer and was amputated. It took me 20 years to get him on a bike and then he lost his left leg to cancer. He was 'bitten by the bug' and was not going to just give up on his new found passion for motorcycling. He was on the computer and found after market floor boards with a heel toe shifter before he even had a prosthetic! He was amputated just before Christmas and was back on his bike by Easter. We thanked God for helping him get back to enjoying a hobby we both loved. He is more comfortable on a motorcycle than driving a car. It's amazing, really.

It's is a marvelous story about him and the motorcycle. I was a biker first and had ridden motorcycles since I was 14 or 15 years old. Dave didn't like bikes or the image that came with it in those days, (it was the 70s and bikers were considered rebellious and unruly). I eventually sold my 125 Yamaha to pay for college. I never quit longing for a bike after we were married though. When I turned 40 Dave said I could buy a used bike but he did not want me pressuring him into the hobby. I honored that and one day when we were going to a motorcycle salvage yard to buy a crash bar for my bike, (I was on my bike and he was following in our car) he decided it looked like fun after all. That's when we got the CB 750 for him. I taught him to ride in a school parking lot that summer. Anyway it was the very next year that he got cancer and was amputated. It took me 20 years to get him on a bike and then he lost his left leg to cancer. He was 'bitten by the bug' and was not going to just give up on his new found passion for motorcycling. He was on the computer and found after market floor boards with a heel toe shifter before he even had a prosthetic! He was amputated just before Christmas and was back on his bike by Easter. We thanked God for helping him get back to enjoying a hobby we both loved. He is more comfortable on a motorcycle than driving a car. It's amazing, really.

That's awesome!!

Not quite as inspirational, but when I was a kid my dad broke his leg. Instead of not being able to ride his motorcycle because he was in a cast, he rigged something (I know nothing about how they work) with a rope he could pull (?). Where there's a will, there's a way!!

I like it! great suggestions- as Chris said a tank that has a spill safe top would be key. I'll search around for something but that could be a challenge

If you do like a 3g, buy 2, one for home and one for the cabin, get a 5g bucket that seals, boom, move it to a bucket and between tanks without having to move the actual tanks (that way they don't get broken in the moving or piling stuff into the car, dogs bump ya while carrying it into the house etc.) lol

I think it would be really cool if you could figure out a portable tank :) What about something where you really glue down the rockscape to the glass bottom and go bare bottom so you don't have sand moving around? Then just empty out some of the water when you travel.

I like that - glue down the rock- very nice. I need to start a thread and get everyone's feed back. I might actually be able to do this?

When I had it vertical, I could not go above 30% on the constant speed. I mean, I could but I would end up with sand slowly moving into piles after a few days. My tank dimension are 24" wide x 20" deep x 24" height.

Our tanks are really similar- hopefully I can start playing with the Gyre next week or over Thanksgiving 2- day vacation when I am sticking around the house

Wow- thank you for sharing- wonderful story! Funny it's usually the man that brings bikes into the relationship- kudos to him for going for it! It really is something special being out in the rode with two wheels. I just bought my wife a new 150cc scooter that she just loves- it's vintage looking but is an automatic - which is key for her. We enjoy rides every Sunday morning ?. Our season is over though........until next year?

If you do like a 3g, buy 2, one for home and one for the cabin, get a 5g bucket that seals, boom, move it to a bucket and between tanks without having to move the actual tanks (that way they don't get broken in the moving or piling stuff into the car, dogs bump ya while carrying it into the house etc.) lol

Excellent ideas! I do like the 2 tank idea

That is an incredible story, more power to both of you for being strong and riding through.

Thanks kat, Dave deserves the credit for having such a good attitude.

That's awesome!!

Not quite as inspirational, but when I was a kid my dad broke his leg. Instead of not being able to ride his motorcycle because he was in a cast, he rigged something (I know nothing about how they work) with a rope he could pull (?). Where there's a will, there's a way!!

Kudos to your Dad and I think what he did was inspirational! You are so right about where there is a will there is a way.

Wow- thank you for sharing- wonderful story! Funny it's usually the man that brings bikes into the relationship- kudos to him for going for it! It really is something special being out in the rode with two wheels. I just bought my wife a new 150cc scooter that she just loves- it's vintage looking but is an automatic - which is key for her. We enjoy rides every Sunday morning . Our season is over though........until next year

Ha ha, yes I love shocking folks by revealing that I was the 'biker' first. And you are right about kudos for Dave for trying it. He was 42 and had never even rode a trail bike. I would think it is tougher learning when you aren't a teenager.

Hey, that's great about your wife's scooter. That might just be what make her get the bug. Some of the bigger scooters move right along. Also I have a friend who is curious about the can am spyders which can come in an automatic.

Our riding season is usually over by now but it has been unseasonably warm this year. Dave and I will go out for an hour or so on a sunny 40 degree day all winter though. We are die hards.

I like that - glue down the rock- very nice. I need to start a thread and get everyone's feed back. I might actually be able to do this

Our tanks are really similar- hopefully I can start playing with the Gyre next week or over Thanksgiving 2- day vacation when I am sticking around the house

WELL, you also need to start another tank thread. One guess as to what I mean :)

Excellent ideas! I do like the 2 tank idea

You can move the 16 up there!

WELL, you also need to start another tank thread. One guess as to what I mean :)

You can move the 16 up there!

New tank thread? I know - I've been slacking on that one! No way I could note the 16 up there - we're not there enough and 16 is too big. Got home last night and in Denver all week so I can get some much needed work done on the tank.

New tank thread I know - I've been slacking on that one! No way I could note the 16 up there - we're not there enough and 16 is too big. Got home last night and in Denver all week so I can get some much needed work done on the tank.

Well, that's a good point. That would be a lot of water to lug back and forth. yup! New tank thread :) And that's great that you'll be in Denver all week!

Archived