Top Shelf Aquatics

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Looks good :) and yea, grafts are very cool. One wonders when we might see acro grafts for sale e.e

Thanks ! Funny- I thought that same thing about acros.............u know it's coming ?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looked really good last night - snapped a fts

560d1c7d46b61a5c926666f263f7462b_zpsmk9f

This took up most of my day- got half the framing done- finish that up today and start rebar for the pour next weekend

ff1dc38df5b98341d219b2b5e5209ab2_zpswixp

0320768d9142c4283ac3453d09a547f1_zps4ebo

Wow, really cool Sk8n!!!! And nice koozie :) Love it!!!

Also love that night FTS.

Impressive. Both :).

So how do you bend that wood? With steam?

It's actually really simple- you just use a stake with a string and pencil and measure out what curve you want. Then you just cut it with a saw ?

That's how you can make the Crete perfect- all those wood forms on the inside will be removed once the Crete firms up then you fill in the holes and blend it in. We can leave the top plate on over night

My buddy Danny darkening the line- you can see the stake with string next to him.

b5b27423a7c74a2f976e231f99014a1c_zpshj0s

Alright- got my light up! Still figuring out the Bluefish controller- stoked though! Didn't get to my live rock this week- that'll have to wait till next weekend? cords are still a mess- deciding on where they should go. Need to hook up the gyre also

a9080022efe38b38c3de47b3bfd902db_zpshtly

9cd0b9e9aac0ae852d60ed00be581142_zpsmcdz

Been working crazy all week getting ready for the pour- trucks showing up at 7:30am tomorrow with 6yrds of Crete gonna look a lot different!

cea3cb2227d8cfc536b5afaa8b31a7f6_zpsuqri

94a0a35ad047be3edae7fd4931532d66_zpsunmp

Got the frig already for my buddy's with the best domestic beers- quantity not quality on a pour day ?

31d757992a39bcf9957f29d39e9d3c62_zpsuuun

Dogs are not impressed ? lounging outside

cc16032d0988a261107f8cdb1a2f4734_zpssesb

Marc.The.Shark

#1. Bud is no longer a domestic beer. Bastards!

#2. Can't you just pick up Coors on the side of the road out there?! lol

When I was in Mehico last year @ the resort, I asked what beer they had at the bar....."Ahh Senior', Corona, Modelo, Dos Equis & Coors Light." LOL, WTF??!!

Good luck with the pour!

Alright- got my light up! Still figuring out the Bluefish controller- stoked though! Didn't get to my live rock this week- that'll have to wait till next weekend cords are still a mess- deciding on where they should go. Need to hook up the gyre also

a9080022efe38b38c3de47b3bfd902db_zpshtly

9cd0b9e9aac0ae852d60ed00be581142_zpsmcdz

Been working crazy all week getting ready for the pour- trucks showing up at 7:30am tomorrow with 6yrds of Crete gonna look a lot different!

cea3cb2227d8cfc536b5afaa8b31a7f6_zpsuqri

94a0a35ad047be3edae7fd4931532d66_zpsunmp

Got the frig already for my buddy's with the best domestic beers- quantity not quality on a pour day

31d757992a39bcf9957f29d39e9d3c62_zpsuuun

Dogs are not impressed lounging outside

cc16032d0988a261107f8cdb1a2f4734_zpssesb

Does the Coors come with those frozen girls? Do they pop out of the fridge and hand you a beer??

Looking AWESOME, Scott! I can't wait to see what rock you put in that tank and those pups :wub:

We expect more photos of the pour later :flower:

#1. Bud is no longer a domestic beer. Bastards!

#2. Can't you just pick up Coors on the side of the road out there?! lol

When I was in Mehico last year @ the resort, I asked what beer they had at the bar....."Ahh Senior', Corona, Modelo, Dos Equis & Coors Light." LOL, WTF??!!

Good luck with the pour!

I hear ya- Pabst- which I also believe is no longer domestically owed either, is beer of chose for most skater. Had to pick up the bud - with Bronco's colors ?Coors light- the international hit ? pour came out great-pics on the way! thanks

Does the Coors come with those frozen girls? Do they pop out of the fridge and hand you a beer??

Looking AWESOME, Scott! I can't wait to see what rock you put in that tank and those pups :wub:

We expect more photos of the pour later :flower:

Coors girls- I doubt they would want to hang with this crew?. Rock next weekend - I am gonna dial in my ATO and Gyre pump this week. Pour was awesome- pics coming next

Not beer...just corn piss

No micro brew's on pour day for sure- gotta keep people moving- corn piss keeps them happy ?

Alright! Truck showed up at 7:30am and we worked till 5:30pm- I feel like I've been hit by a bus today but it's a good hurt? 6 yards of Crete for the day

Here's a few pics.........positioning the truck

415841e93bc107582eeef322377845e8_zpshyvn

Then shovel it into place- brutal

c8a5826544dac8f3c46177be3c4413a4_zpssdci

Then you screet with a 2x4 to level it all out

a809dd8909b5fcdeb9e28c2e85875a10_zpsriyi

It looks scary and crappy for awhile?

9768ce29d5bb04954cfb68ed0e3df066_zpswskm

Then the fun starts.........pull all the wood forms and start finishing

0239992901b2654e663331283c7fdfc1_zpsevue

Came out buttery smooth

8e8d41a2cb274b80200d2e671e5dadcd_zps9x8h

d96385776f6172b6e57fec566fa70f24_zpsbxzz

Now we just gotta pull top forms and place coping and then pour decks ?. I am hitting the jacuzzi and relaxing today..........gonna work on the tank a bit?

Anybody using this? I got it free from Fragtober. It appears to be an ionic calcium additive- I shouldn't need it with a doser I would think

a144d9fd804df1572faddeb1a2f0c0e8_zpsnya3

Anybody using this? I got it free from Fragtober. It appears to be an ionic calcium additive- I shouldn't need it with a doser I would think

you dont need it with a doser. i used it when i didnt have one and had zero progress... my doser has made the difference. and of course, you have to have corraline first, this stuff does not just make it appear, you knew that.

to add some purple though, i grow it on some specific small rocks on overhangs and shadows and every month or so, pull them out and scrape them to SPREAD THE COLOR!

p.s. i tried your 3 light set up on my nuvo, the wife didnt let it stay that way for more than 24hours. "i like the simple, elegant look" she says... may need to get a dual puck radion?

you dont need it with a doser. i used it when i didnt have one and had zero progress... my doser has made the difference. and of course, you have to have corraline first, this stuff does not just make it appear, you knew that.

to add some purple though, i grow it on some specific small rocks on overhangs and shadows and every month or so, pull them out and scrape them to SPREAD THE COLOR!

p.s. i tried your 3 light set up on my nuvo, the wife didnt let it stay that way for more than 24hours. "i like the simple, elegant look" she says... may need to get a dual puck radion?

Cool, ha I didn't think I would need or use it. Ck out a nano box duo for the Nuvo - that would give it a cleaner look ?

Wow, such cool pics. I love it. Glad to hear of the progress on the new tank too!

Yes- slowly but surely. I need to make a trip to the lfs this weekend ?

Thanks ! Funny- I thought that same thing about acros.............u know it's coming

Grafted acros exist, but they don't always play so nice and are slower growers so there aren't alot of "known" grafts.

Gonna get a chance to work on the scape this weekend I hope?? :)

Grafted acros exist, but they don't always play so nice and are slower growers so there aren't alot of "known" grafts.

Gonna get a chance to work on the scape this weekend I hope?? :)

Ya, I saw one on a search I did - didn't look that great but it was healthy. I am thinking I'll go early Sat. To the lfs- I just received a message that a whole crew of people want to come over Sat. At noon for a Halloween session in the bowl- may see some costumes ?. If I can pick up the rock I can scape it on Sunday. I am kinda in a funk about it though- I want to use some of old rock to start the cycle but can't move anything around in the tank to pull out some bottom pieces. I might have to set up my quarantine tank to house a few corals. I have to be careful not to get too much new rock in the 50- then I wouldn't have any room for my Nuvo rock............hmmmm

Like the setup Man I set up a Nuvo 20 About a year ago and just been adding a lil here and there. Got a ? for ya what salt mix have you been using in ur tank? I use Red sea coral pro myself its ok I guess I just want my acros and montis to take off with growth!!!

Like the setup Man I set up a Nuvo 20 About a year ago and just been adding a lil here and there. Got a ? for ya what salt mix have you been using in ur tank? I use Red sea coral pro myself its ok I guess I just want my acros and montis to take off with growth!!!

Thanks Benny- I use Kent. First tank I ever used it on and I really like it. I've always been an reef crystals guy but I am not going back- I really like how the Kent mixes and the parameters are even from bag to bag. Do you have a doser? Keeping Alk. And Ca. Consistent throughout the day is the key with acros. I don't see a link to your tank- do you have a thread?

I don't have a thread setup yet I have to take some really good pics of the tank . I manually dose calcium and alkalinity I just need to make sure I am doing the right amount things been looking good so far. By the way the names Chris I just like the Character Benny Blanco from the Bronx in Carlito's way lol

Sounds good Chris! If your manually dosing spreading it out in the morning (before lights on ) and then evening (after lights out ) will help with the consistency. I did that for about 6-7 months before I picked up a doser.

thecoralbeauty

Woohoo! The new setup looks so awesome! I'm even more excited now.

Also- the pavona has a really similar growth pattern to a lepto- looks like tiny little wires almost. very cool!

Archived