Cultivated Reef

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Loving the new tank bud !!! Question what camera are you using ?

Thank man, I use an iPad for some shots but the better shots and macro shots are with a Nikon D100. I have a wide angle for FTS's and my macro lens is a 105mm

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok cool i am looking at investing some money into a camera just trying to figure out there is a case for my iphone that has macro and wide angle lenses.

ok cool i am looking at investing some money into a camera just trying to figure out there is a case for my iphone that has macro and wide angle lenses.

I bought a lens kit on Amazon for the iPhone that has 3 lens- macro,wide angle and fisheye- their less than 20bucks and surprisingly do quite well. Their are a ton of different kinds- ck em out. You can also get filters to help with the blue colors that the iPhone always struggles with.

The spin stream poci is becoming a colony- growth of this coral is pretty amazing. Gonna be sad when I have to remove it - I'll try to save as much as I can. It's now competing for space with the Ponape Birdsnest. Maybe the spin stream will become a frag plug

4557e1c32caf958199f009dc008777fb_zpswlfy

Way cool. So does that thing actually spin around with the coral on it?????

Way cool. So does that thing actually spin around with the coral on it?????

Yes, it's crazy- it's spinning along no problem- I give it a good shake once a week to break loose any encrusting by the poci!

Yes, it's crazy- it's spinning along no problem- I give it a good shake once a week to break loose any encrusting by the poci!

Throw it out lol

Throw it out lol

Don't be a hater ? it grows like a weed but still - makes ya feel good about yourself. The mother colony is getting traded in for sure. No poci's in the new tank. The other larger green Poci houses our blenny in a hole in the rock it's attached to so that's gonna takes some convincing for my wife to want to trade it in. Can not go in the 50gal. Though- it'd be the size of a football in 6 months.

Don't be a hater it grows like a weed but still - makes ya feel good about yourself. The mother colony is getting traded in for sure. No poci's in the new tank. The other larger green Poci houses our blenny in a hole in the rock it's attached to so that's gonna takes some convincing for my wife to want to trade it in. Can not go in the 50gal. Though- it'd be the size of a football in 6 months.

You know you appreciate my wisdom and desire to see you pitch it LOL

He will find a new spot to call home, if you sold your house you'd find a new one too ;)

You know you appreciate my wisdom and desire to see you pitch it LOL

He will find a new spot to call home, if you sold your house you'd find a new one too ;)

Yes I do for sure........eviction is eminent ?.

This is looking exciting! Can't wait to see what you do with the cube. Still thinking an upgrade from the Edge might be in my future. Trying to decide between a 24" cube, a longer peninsula, or something else. Sumps scare me, but the more I read, the less scared I get.

The spin stream poci is becoming a colony- growth of this coral is pretty amazing. Gonna be sad when I have to remove it - I'll try to save as much as I can. It's now competing for space with the Ponape Birdsnest. Maybe the spin stream will become a frag plug ?

4557e1c32caf958199f009dc008777fb_zpswlfy

Don't remove it...send it to me and I will send you a clean one!

Now, do you have a pump and a separate line coming out of the top of that thing? Or are using the ATO nozzle (w/tubing) connected to the pump?

Hey there- I missed this post- ya I plan on using the ATO nozzle and running a small pump like an aqua lifter which is a dry pump - it's similar to my Nuvo set up but my ATO doesn't have a nozzle. I am running an aqua lifter and love it

This is looking exciting! Can't wait to see what you do with the cube. Still thinking an upgrade from the Edge might be in my future. Trying to decide between a 24" cube, a longer peninsula, or something else. Sumps scare me, but the more I read, the less scared I get.

Thanks man- Yes go for the peninsula- everytime I see those I love em. I hear ya on sumps- always fun turning it on for the first time and see how much water you need to add quickly and then judge the returns when you shut it off. There's something special about an AIO tank though for sure- the ease of it really makes things simple. This is my first sump in probably 8 yrs. so I am pretty excited to play around with the system.

Don't remove it...send it to me and I will send you a clean one!

That's a great idea! My wife still wants me to get rid of the Nuvo once I transfer a few corals and trade in the rest. That would be awesome to see how big it could get and you wouldn't need to send me a new one. Never sent a coral before but we could work it out ?.

That's a great idea! My wife still wants me to get rid of the Nuvo once I transfer a few corals and trade in the rest. That would be awesome to see how big it could get and you wouldn't need to send me a new one. Never sent a coral before but we could work it out ?.

Ok, I was totally kidding but I am in.

LFS or local reefer dudes can prolly help. Lemme know when in a PM and I will shoot you some funds for shipping.

Thanks man- Yes go for the peninsula- everything I see those I love em. I hear ya on sumps- always fun turning it on for the first time and see how much water you need to add quickly and then judge the returns when you shut it off. There's something special about an AIO tank though for sure- the ease of it really makes things simple. This is my first sump in probably 8 yrs. so I am pretty excited to play around with the system.

I always fill my sump 3/4- almost full with the pump off. Then turn the system on and let it evap until it is where I want it. Then I shut the pumps off mark it and I have my "ideal fill line" for water changes and stuff. Never had any issues doing it that way, tho I don't run a fuge so I could see it possibly being a little bit of a problem if you had some chaeto in there able to move all around. Sumps really aren't a big deal, and if you remember its down there IMO makes maintenance a little easier.... my hardest part is remembering its down there and that my skimmer needs to be cleaned out and tank topped off... maybe I will hook the ato up this weekend. LOL

Ok, I was totally kidding but I am in.

LFS or local reefer dudes can prolly help. Lemme know when in a PM and I will shoot you some funds for shipping.

Cool, I am gonna run the Nuvo for as long as I can- this transfer could take awhile- hahahaha- but my wife is getting wise to that. I imagine I could put a heat pack in the winter for shipping.

I always fill my sump 3/4- almost full with the pump off. Then turn the system on and let it evap until it is where I want it. Then I shut the pumps off mark it and I have my "ideal fill line" for water changes and stuff. Never had any issues doing it that way, tho I don't run a fuge so I could see it possibly being a little bit of a problem if you had some chaeto in there able to move all around. Sumps really aren't a big deal, and if you remember its down there IMO makes maintenance a little easier.... my hardest part is remembering its down there and that my skimmer needs to be cleaned out and tank topped off... maybe I will hook the ato up this weekend. LOL

Ya that's normally how it start them - I still need to drill some holes in my return lines to break siphon so I have them running pretty high. I haven't hooked the protien skimmer up yet- gonna have to figure out something to be able to place it on to adjust height cause that area isn't adjustable- maybe a few sheets of plexiglass - probably won't be much but I would like to test it at different heights. Remembering it's down there ?- I'd actually like to raise my middle chamber and then raise the skimmer about 2inches to allow more in my pump chamber- there's a smaller amount of water in there than I would like- but it's workable - I am running it a little higher

Couple quick iPad shots

There's an emerald crab in there between all the filter feeders ?

0a17db60069ae486bd53471636e36de7_zpszhl0

FTS with the lights off in the room today

eeba5d53bd85f2bba76e6c728986d0a4_zpstkfs

So awesome!

Thanks man, I am really liking these dark room far away shots!

Here's a few more of my Picasso's- this is far for them to stray- feeding time - normally I swear they could live in a beta bowl in the bottom corner of the tank?

d5d454deb95e80048aa162985781273b_zpstgaj

965141502014f5c964f9c4502c3fe1c7_zps1ntp

I have been reading through your thread and saw the white aiptasia type thing you had on the glass which came and went. That reminded me of a video i watched the other day on the reef builders youtube channel.

At 12:50 they start talking about it, let me know if you think it was the same,

Archived