Coral Vue Hydros

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

That's got to be one of the nicest views from a skateboard bowl in the country :)

Thanks Teeny, it definitely has a nice view- the mountains are on the other side which adds a nice touch too.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea, keep that nasty weed in the 16 and only bring over the nonweeds to the new tank ;) lol

Also, pitch that pvc frame, order some good stuff and scape it up :) There was a guy Jstan (I think) that made his own mortar (wanna say for a 90g on here) but I don't remember the ingredients (but he listed what he used) seems to do fine for him.... will delay you a little but shouldn't be to bad, definitely worth it IMO.

Dang, now why'd Ya have to do that........? I was cruising along and now you show me this- lol- but seriously that looks really cool. I am gonna have to look into that for sure. I am planning on using some of the fabricated real reef rock - but my lfs keeps it in a vat with other live rock so it does have some beneficial bacteria. I would want to keep it wet- I wonder if that will bond to wet rock and how long it takes to cure. I'll have to contact them and research- thanks for the link ?

No way! You are too much--my kind of guy. Since you're scaping the tank AND the back yard. Maybe you need to build a loop cave out there... you know... to test drive for the fish. ;-)

Haha! Thanks Polar- that's an awesome idea- live rock loop- maybe train hermits to do the loop?

thought I'd share this one- with all the crazy thunderstorms we've been having I caught some lightning while filming with my Gopro. I pulled a still from the video. I am just about to float over the concrete hip- looks pretty cool

b49cb6f63ff20a037724552ef8001bea_zpseeh1

I just ventured into the lounge and saw this :wub:. What an AWESOME shot! Did you post it here and i missed it? Or am I just old with a bad memory? :)

I just ventured into the lounge and saw this :wub:. What an AWESOME shot! Did you post it here and i missed it? Or am I just old with a bad memory? :)

ventured into the lounge- u brave soul- lots of ornery folks in there?. no I don't think I posted here but it did remind me of you- I remember you said you like a good thunderstorm and this year we've been having a lot!

ventured into the lounge- u brave soul- lots of ornery folks in there?. no I don't think I posted here but it did remind me of you- I remember you said you like a good thunderstorm and this year we've been having a lot!

Is there drainage at the bottom of everything? I'm imagining it turning into a pool pretty quick!

Looks so cool, I can't imagine taking on a project of that scale!

Dang, now why'd Ya have to do that........ I was cruising along and now you show me this- lol- but seriously that looks really cool. I am gonna have to look into that for sure. I am planning on using some of the fabricated real reef rock - but my lfs keeps it in a vat with other live rock so it does have some beneficial bacteria. I would want to keep it wet- I wonder if that will bond to wet rock and how long it takes to cure. I'll have to contact them and research- thanks for the link

Haha! Thanks Polar- that's an awesome idea- live rock loop- maybe train hermits to do the loop

I used it on my scape. Its definitely strong and held everything in place.... seemed like everything was fairly solid within an hr or so if I recall.... maybe fill a spray bottle with fresh SW and mist everything periodically to keep it wet enough to minimize any losses of natural life... just a thought lol

Its really easy to work with, get some cheap party cups of different sizes and use them to support your pieces/ overhangs until they are secure. ;)

ventured into the lounge- u brave soul- lots of ornery folks in there. no I don't think I posted here but it did remind me of you- I remember you said you like a good thunderstorm and this year we've been having a lot!

I know LOL. I don't go in there usually but the thread caught my eye. I think I was meant to find this photo :wub: and that was the only reason I went in there.

They are brutal but they did crack me up with a few of their comments on photos :lol:.

Is there drainage at the bottom of everything? I'm imagining it turning into a pool pretty quick!

Looks so cool, I can't imagine taking on a project of that scale!

Yes- the pool has a drain and the smaller stuff around the deck is all pitched to flow off the sides- works pretty well but there are a few low spots. It is a huge project- my second pool I've built for myself. Planning, design, digging, framing, pouring, finishing, laying tile, pouring all the coping blocks- definitely a labor of love and very rewarding when you create a piece- and instant gratification- you can skate each pour the following day. It been a 4 year process and still going?. It's kinda become what I do each summer for the last 8-10 years. Brutal work though- hard on the body for sure. We are also helping other friends build things- really cool skate community here

I used it on my scape. Its definitely strong and held everything in place.... seemed like everything was fairly solid within an hr or so if I recall.... maybe fill a spray bottle with fresh SW and mist everything periodically to keep it wet enough to minimize any losses of natural life... just a thought lol

Its really easy to work with, get some cheap party cups of different sizes and use them to support your pieces/ overhangs until they are secure. ;)

Really- I didn't even know about this stuff- great idea on misting the rock. I think I'll go for it and create something unique- that'd be fun- now I gotta go look at your scape?. How many pounds did you use? I was thinking the 5lbs. would work for my 50gal. Does it bond to the rock or do you need to wrap it around each piece?

Really- I didn't even know about this stuff- great idea on misting the rock. I think I'll go for it and create something unique- that'd be fun- now I gotta go look at your scape. How many pounds did you use? I was thinking the 5lbs. would work for my 50gal. Does it bond to the rock or do you need to wrap it around each piece?

Yeah I liked it it was really easy.... I had my scape laid out fairly well before I mixed it up at all, had cups supporting each ledge (and the rock I had stacked fairly well together anyway) then I mixed it up a little clumpy, wedged it between pieces then wetted it down a little more so it would work into the crevices a bit better and spread it out a little onto the rock that was over hanging for added support but not to far that I lost alot of the rocks porousness either. I have some pics in the beginning in my thread that you might be able to get the idea anyway. It starts to harden fairly quick and working time is low but I found if you add a little water while working and spreading the mix it gives you a little more time.... make several small batches as you go rather then trying to mix the whole thing as well. I used 10 lbs for 100lbs of rock but wish I would have got 15 really as I only did 2 structures instead of the 3 that I had originally hoped to do.... but I used a lot more then I probably had to but I didn't want to risk any pieces falling into the tank before sand was in and cracking the tank or something lol

Yeah I liked it it was really easy.... I had my scape laid out fairly well before I mixed it up at all, had cups supporting each ledge (and the rock I had stacked fairly well together anyway) then I mixed it up a little clumpy, wedged it between pieces then wetted it down a little more so it would work into the crevices a bit better and spread it out a little onto the rock that was over hanging for added support but not to far that I lost alot of the rocks porousness either. I have some pics in the beginning in my thread that you might be able to get the idea anyway. It starts to harden fairly quick and working time is low but I found if you add a little water while working and spreading the mix it gives you a little more time.... make several small batches as you go rather then trying to mix the whole thing as well. I used 10 lbs for 100lbs of rock but wish I would have got 15 really as I only did 2 structures instead of the 3 that I had originally hoped to do.... but I used a lot more then I probably had to but I didn't want to risk any pieces falling into the tank before sand was in and cracking the tank or something lol

Excellent- thanks for the details- ?I am ordering some for sure- probably just get the 10lbs to be safe. This could get interesting with shapes

I love your dogs, bull terriers are so sweet! :)

Excellent- thanks for the details- I am ordering some for sure- probably just get the 10lbs to be safe. This could get interesting with shapes

Yeah it definitely allows you to get more creative while stil keeping a bit of the natural look of not having pvc or other supports potentially visible. If I ever change rocks in the future I will use it again for sure.

Lovely tank full of sps... I'm using the spin stream too, I had to take it apart few days ago cos it stopped spinning... was full of gunk

Thank you! Ya I usually need yo do that also- lately I've been sticking a turkey baster in there and blow back into it to release some of the gunk- seems to be working ?

I love your dogs, bull terriers are so sweet! :)

Yeah it definitely allows you to get more creative while stil keeping a bit of the natural look of not having pvc or other supports potentially visible. If I ever change rocks in the future I will use it again for sure.

Stoked you shared that link - definitely think I'll try it ! Ya, they're a comical breed for sure!

Was reading about the banana boards, fiberglass with the lip, etc.and I fondly remember those, too. But before all that 'modern' stuff, I had the wooden board with noisy-as-heck steel wheels. And before that when I was but a wee little lad, the steelie rollerskates that you strapped onto your sneakers :)

Was reading about the banana boards, fiberglass with the lip, etc.and I fondly remember those, too. But before all that 'modern' stuff, I had the wooden board with noisy-as-heck steel wheels. And before that when I was but a wee little lad, the steelie rollerskates that you strapped onto your sneakers :)

Haha! Seems everyone skated at one time or another. Steel wheels ? that's a little before my time but just a little

Marc.The.Shark

Those skates sucked!! And no helmets or pads! My parents would be in jail today!! lol

Alright some quick iPad shots - I know I know but it's just so easy- I'll get some shots with the real camera this week?

Under the Idaho grape - tons of filter feeders and valves

e96d918740a798b2698debf2cc6d0ef5_zpsr3p4

616d654cd6c2a9e351978b2cf45641d0_zpsud5c

Poci frags that have grown onto the glass in its ever charging attempt to take over the whole tank

17a4c367d986e4aff42e755bfb062de4_zpsrfi6

ORA Birdsnest hiding out in the back

283679b4bedbe3d8a7fa6c80384e76c5_zpszaug

reefernanoman

Alright some quick iPad shots - I know I know but it's jheart so easy- I'll get some shots with the real camera this week

Under the Idaho grape - tons of filter feeders and valves

e96d918740a798b2698debf2cc6d0ef5_zpsr3p4

616d654cd6c2a9e351978b2cf45641d0_zpsud5c

Poci frags that have grown onto the glass in its ever charging attempt to take over the whole tank

17a4c367d986e4aff42e755bfb062de4_zpsrfi6

ORA Birdsnest hiding out in the back

283679b4bedbe3d8a7fa6c80384e76c5_zpszaug

I had a birds nest colony that size once, until I nuked it when I removed xenias from the glass! It was heart breaking. Anyways, beautiful corals as always!

Are you still using the same lights?

Ex-skater here! Love this tank and I've officially just kicked off my own Nuvo 16 now too! ;)

Ex? Let's get back on that board! Never too old I can attest to that ? thanks on my tank- I ck'd out your blog-really cool stuff. It's inspiring me to start my own- sweet deal on the Nuvo. It's a nice tank- just be careful placing a powerhead on the sides and especially near the rounded corner- a fair number of them have cracked in that area. I won't dare put a powerhead in the tank and just use a larger pump and spin streams

I had a birds nest colony that size once, until I nuked it when I removed xenias from the glass! It was heart breaking. Anyways, beautiful corals as always! Are you still using the same lights?

Thanks- yes same lights. I am gonna be using my hybrid nanobox for the 50gal.

Archived