Top Shelf Aquatics

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

I love when you post your photos. And you still have the alien life form somewhere in that tank... :scarry:

Honestly, each time you post photos, I feel like everything grew at least a few inches from the last time you posted photos. I think you must only have about 6 actual gallons of water now in that tank!

Hahahah- thanks Rachel! Yes it is lurking under a rock waiting for my hand to go into the tank ?. The water is all calcium, alk and magnesium ?
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sk8n Reefer

That's a cool fountain. Lots of water elements in the Tiki room now.

Thanks Kat! Yes there is ...........be nice if that 50 was running?. Sk8 session today so it's gonna have to wait! Got my light yesterday it looks awesome - I'll post up some pics later!

Thanks Kat! Yes there is ...........be nice if that 50 was running. Sk8 session today so it's gonna have to wait! Got my light yesterday it looks awesome - I'll post up some pics later!

Well, I guess there are these things called priorities. It doesn't mean that we agree with your priority order.

Well, I guess there are these things called priorities. It doesn't mean that we agree with your priority order.

Hahahaha- to much to fit in on the weekends ?

That fountain is just way too cool. It must be worth a fortune :o.Have a gr8sk8 :D.

Ya its a really cool piece! Fun session it was thank you- hot here today though.

Well the RTN continues. My blue Acro is gone. Came home from work to this. Not sure what triggered it this time. Really makes me doubt what I am doing and feel quite helpless. Another skeleton on the shelf. Tanks solid with alk 8 Ca. 430 mag. 1350. I changed out carbon and GFO. Last weekend - whichever is my usual routine, everyone else is doing fine.

Once a pretty blue

27ee574f376949d43b18d612af738051_zpsv80g

1b127db772282ca12de329e6db0c825b_zpstbes

I am sorry sk8n, that must be really frustrating. I am with Slowtwitch and have stayed away from acros as well because of their finicky nature.

Well that's disappointing, sorry about the acro. Everything else is looking so beautiful and doing so well, too! I love that fountain, by the way :)

Nano sapiens

Well the RTN continues. My blue Acro is gone. Came home from work to this. Not sure what triggered it this time. Really makes me doubt what I am doing and feel quite helpless. Another skeleton on the shelf. Tanks solid with alk 8 Ca. 430 mag. 1350. I changed out carbon and GFO. Last weekend - whichever is my usual routine, everyone else is doing fine.

Once a pretty blue

That is dissappointing, but even the most experienced aquarists loose Acros from time to time. Cal, Alk and Mag look spot on. NO3 and PO4? With fresh GAC and GFO, I wonder if you had maybe stripped the water of nutrients too quickly? Many Acros tend to have a very high metabolism and go through their energy reserves quickly (I think of them as the 'shrews of the coral world' in this regard).

Might want to try cutting your GAC and GFO volume down a bit and just watch your params for any signs of excessive nutrient loading.

Do you have much flow or added any? With how large your colonies are getting I am wondering if some are simply not receiving the flow they need?

-Dave

Sorry for the losses. This is why I won't do acro's way too finicky for me. I'll just continue to admire them in other people's tanks

Thanks, Ya it a challenge for sure- I thought I was on the right track but I traveled last week and my maintannac schedule was slightly off

I am sorry sk8n, that must be really frustrating. I am with Slowtwitch and have stayed away from acros as well because of their finicky nature.

It is frustrating - especially when everyone else is growing and doing well- time to regroup and focus!

Well that's disappointing, sorry about the acro. Everything else is looking so beautiful and doing so well, too! I love that fountain, by the way :)

Thanks Teeny- yes the fountain is super cool- wait till we set up the whole area- gonna be cool

That is dissappointing, but even the most experienced aquarists loose Acros from time to time. Cal, Alk and Mag look spot on. NO3 and PO4? With fresh GAC and GFO, I wonder if you had maybe stripped the water of nutrients too quickly? Many Acros tend to have a very high metabolism and go through their energy reserves quickly (I think of them as the 'shrews of the coral world' in this regard).

Might want to try cutting your GAC and GFO volume down a bit and just watch your params for any signs of excessive nutrient loading.

I hear Ya- still very frustrating but I gotta step up to the challenge. I did miss my daily w/c schedule last week with my traveling - I changed 2 gallons when I returned Friday then 1 sat, 1 sun, and 1again on Monday. Gfo has been keeping PO4 in ck but I am sure it bounced up a bit while I was gone- my wife kept up on the daily feedings but the GFO is in a reactor and tends to keep it at .03-.06. I'll cking again tonight. If anything the PO4 Sneaked up because I noticed the algae growth increased while I was gone. I moved him to the otherside of the tank a week ago to get better lighting and that must have caused an issue- I DI forget that

Do you have much flow or added any? With how large your colonies are getting I am wondering if some are simply not receiving the flow they need?

-Dave

That is a concern for sure now with the size of the corals- I do see it as an issue. This Acro was actually in the front with a clean line from the spinstream so he was still getting really good flow and light. I moved him to the otherside of the tank recently for better lighting and that might have been the kicker- flow was strong but the light and flow did change- damn their sensative!

Aww man. Sorry, Sk8n. That's frustrating!

Ya, didn't consider the small move I did a week ago but that must have contributed - and then boom it was gone!

Blue acros hate me, especially ones with that structure. Do fine, pretty blue, and .... it's gone.

Have you found any correlation to why? Something is changing in my system - maybe the lack of flow, sand becoming dormant because I can't reached areas and maybe it's releasing bacteria? Basic parameter are very stable - except for the doser incident.

I did relocate the coral a week ago but come on - maybe brown out on me a little but don't commit suicide!

I have no idea. I thought it might be PO4 too high, then I thought it might be dropping PO4 too fast. I can say I have not lost anything or even had an acro suffer since moving to slower methods of nutrient reduction (carbon dosing, bio pellets, nitrate dosing) but I have NO CLUE if that's a reason or not. I constantly underestimate the power of GFO so I've been trying to avoid its use.

I have no idea. I thought it might be PO4 too high, then I thought it might be dropping PO4 too fast. I can say I have not lost anything or even had an acro suffer since moving to slower methods of nutrient reduction (carbon dosing, bio pellets, nitrate dosing) but I have NO CLUE if that's a reason or not. I constantly underestimate the power of GFO so I've been trying to avoid its use.

I use 2-3 teaspoons of GFO but I am still seeing some strong algae growth in small areas. Without it I would be over ran with algae for sure with my feeding schedule. I traveled and was gone all week last week so obviously it's my wife's fault?. Gotta find some humor in this. My green Acro on the frag rack is still holding but no doing well from the dosing mishap. My bonsai is growing and showing excellent PE still

My hybrid is here! Looks great Dave! I'll be playing around with it this weekend!

d17144637f069d4c946e7ed2abcc6054_zpsweiv

Thanks for the micro fiber cloth - I've already tested the bottle opener.........works great ?

ca49781ef68e5bea3163c8bcda24f1bb_zpsjifv

Alright, my latest fascination with this hobby- find the best funnel. I am wanting an easy way to fill up my dosing containers- the white one with the curve works great but the blue one is hard to beat?.

926b06af5c0a3fa1af67511844f602bc_zps4sna

Alright, my latest fascination with this hobby- find the best funnel. I am wanting an easy way to fill up my dosing containers- the white one with the curve works great but the blue one is hard to beat.

926b06af5c0a3fa1af67511844f602bc_zps4sna

I need those! Where can I get them?

Archived