Coral Vue Hydros

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Thanks Gena, the sky in Colorado at night is also pretty amazing- I've never seen the amount of stars in the sky until I moved here. Keep Colorado as an option - if you are still thinking about moving.

I can imagine! When we were in Big Bear it was absolutely incredible, the sky!

Colorado is still an option. Although we are considering buying a 400ish acre ranch in northern Texas with my brother and each building a house/cabin on the property. It's all still up in the air.

I hope all works out with the coral RTN issue. I had that happen with a birdsnest and the feeling is so helpless. I ended up fragging it into several pieces and donating them to my LFS.

I want two homes!! ;)

I need 4 or 5 :lol:
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That cabin is sweet man, million dollar view for sure!!!

On the necrosis you have a couple options, but there is no real cure.....frag and hope for the best, leave them alone and hope for the best, its really 50/50 either way. That said I always frag them, pitch the dead, and cover the base with a good amount of super glue.

Sk8n Reefer

I can imagine! When we were in Big Bear it was absolutely incredible, the sky!Colorado is still an option. Although we are considering buying a 400ish acre ranch in northern Texas with my brother and each building a house/cabin on the property. It's all still up in the air.I hope all works out with the coral RTN issue. I had that happen with a birdsnest and the feeling is so helpless. I ended up fragging it into several pieces and donating them to my LFS. I need 4 or 5 :lol:

400 acre- wow- now that's some property. Hope it works out for you Gena

RTN - is killing me.....my fav- bubblegum- gone in a matter of hours. My wife called at 2:00 and said it was going bad- when I got home at 5:00 it was all over. I've pulled em out now but not before the skin got shed all over the tank- things are going bad. One of the other Mille frags started to go so I pulled em out. Upgrade can't happen soon enough- pin up/tiki room photo shoot this weekend so I am filling up the 50 next week and starting the cycle.

Sad to see this one go- I had big plans for em?

4ae1e93c3aad860160022e764bf8efcb_zpszun9

That cabin is sweet man, million dollar view for sure!!!

On the necrosis you have a couple options, but there is no real cure.....frag and hope for the best, leave them alone and hope for the best, its really 50/50 either way. That said I always frag them, pitch the dead, and cover the base with a good amount of super glue.

Hey man, thanks........things have taken a turn for the worse here- damn Pocillopora stinging started a chain reaction. I guess that's what I get for keeping the tank too full- I was so close to starting the 50gal. too
Sk8n Reefer

Oh no! I hope the bad run is over and things settle down for you.

Fingers crossed for no more RTN.

Oh no!! I hope you can get it under control!

Thank you, so far so good today- a few spots on my green Acro but not progressing. Gonna tear the doser down tonight and put the new board in it- hopefully that will be fully functional tonight

82426584e9bc93e1c25d8d551a376320_zps1xzu

5468c66f398ca73857034881f223e028_zpszfix

400 acre- wow- now that's some property. Hope it works out for you Gena

RTN - is killing me.....my fav- bubblegum- gone in a matter of hours. My wife called at 2:00 and said it was going bad- when I got home at 5:00 it was all over. I've pulled em out now but not before the skin got shed all over the tank- things are going bad. One of the other Mille frags started to go so I pulled em out. Upgrade can't happen soon enough- pin up/tiki room photo shoot this weekend so I am filling up the 50 next week and starting the cycle.

Sad to see this one go- I had big plans for em

4ae1e93c3aad860160022e764bf8efcb_zpszun9

Hey man, thanks........things have taken a turn for the worse here- damn Pocillopora stinging started a chain reaction. I guess that's what I get for keeping the tank too full- I was so close to starting the 50gal. too

Damn man sorry I'm sure I missed it as I haven't been keeping up with anything lately but any idea whats causing it??? I told you pocci is a damn stinging nasty weed :( Hopefully things will mellow out and get back on track man.

Sk8n Reefer

Damn man sorry I'm sure I missed it as I haven't been keeping up with anything lately but any idea whats causing it??? I told you pocci is a damn stinging nasty weed :( Hopefully things will mellow out and get back on track man.

Stable today only a few spots on a green Acro. My doser started acting up- display stopped working and it was dosing still but not the full amount and the pump with the mag. stopped all together - this went on for about two weeks and the Alk was down to 4 before I noticed things are looking upset. Then my poci on the right side started attacking the Mille - they've gone back and forth and sometimes the Mille even wins- remember those pics- well the poci took over this time and got a good section of it. I am thinking the combination of declining alk. for an extended period and the attack did him in. It must of triggered the bubblegum too- and it was weak from low Alk.

You were right for sure- they weren't spreading then so I was sure what you meant but damn- their colonizing my spinstream and the back wall- really like em but enough is enough ?

581827e314112f96fa54106b2763e6f8_zpsr27o

Wow, what doser are you using? That sucks tho, did it jam, just fail or was it a lack of maintenance or something???

Yeah I remember it winning a small battle, unfortunately it seems to be losing the war :( Such a beautiful piece too.... can you get another in the future from a friend or the LFS atleast?? Sometimes I get the desire to do an all mille tank in the future.... but then I remember how much I miss deepwaters too :lol: I've thought about doing an all mille display in the past, but man I love me some deepwater smooth skins.

Personally I know alot of people like them and stuff but I would stay away from the pocci/and even birds in the 50 when you upgrade. Birds (and even digi for that matter) are very invasive, they might look good but they will eat up real estate quick, and well the pocci not getting the nod you can see why I always leave them off and try to recommend others pass as well. You have the experience, the drive and knowledge I have complete faith you can knock out a killer acro display with the 50 and leave the weeds in the past ;) lol

Sk8n Reefer

Wow, what doser are you using? That sucks tho, did it jam, just fail or was it a lack of maintenance or something???

Yeah I remember it winning a small battle, unfortunately it seems to be losing the war :( Such a beautiful piece too.... can you get another in the future from a friend or the LFS atleast?? Sometimes I get the desire to do an all mille tank in the future.... but then I remember how much I miss deepwaters too :lol: I've thought about doing an all mille display in the past, but man I love me some deepwater smooth skins.

Personally I know alot of people like them and stuff but I would stay away from the pocci/and even birds in the 50 when you upgrade. Birds (and even digi for that matter) are very invasive, they might look good but they will eat up real estate quick, and well the pocci not getting the nod you can see why I always leave them off and try to recommend others pass as well. You have the experience, the drive and knowledge I have complete faith you can knock out a killer acro display with the 50 and leave the weeds in the past ;) lol

Bubble magus- I kept a rag over the display cause it was crazy bright at night. So I noticed things looking bad and removed the rag and the display was locked up with squares across it- none of the buttons were working. I would always hear the dosing going on and didn't think much about it. I emailed and then hooked up with the U.S. distr. who sent me out a new board Asap- no questions asked. I haven't had a chance to change it out so I've been adding manually also to keep Alk at 7 and ca. at 420-450

Ya, I struggle with wanting to keep a piece and see how large I can grow it. Might not be a bad idea to trade in the Poci's and my blue digi too- the digi is taking over and attaching to rocks all over. I like the Stylo's though - such a nice coral- they tend to grow a little slower- maybe? Love my caps too- I wanna place them all around the bottom and see they grow around each other. I like your idea- I was planning on just transferring everyone but could get some nice Acro frags on trade and start it that way too. My local shop has had some nice smooth skin Acros and some nice Mille's lately - thanks- you got me rethinking the transfer now!

Sk8n Reefer

This tank is so awesome, I hope my life lets me move to Colorado one day. fingerscrossed

Thanks! Yes, start planning your move now? it's a great place to live!

Sk8n Reefer

So, this morning things seem to be calming down. 2 of the 3 frags from the Mille are holding on and no new white spots on the green Acro- atleast with the lights off ? . Pin up calendar photo shoot todat in the Tiki room so once that is complete I can start to seriously put the 50gal. together. I'll be sneaking a few pics myself. We strategically placed our art work around the bar make it in the shot......I hope. My wife has been making some really cool pieces for this shoot - if your into Polynesian/Tiki art.

So, this morning things seem to be calming down. 2 of the 3 frags from the Mille are holding on and no new white spots on the green Acro- atleast with the lights off . Pin up calendar photo shoot todat in the Tiki room so once that is complete I can start to seriously put the 50gal. together. I'll be sneaking a few pics myself. We strategically placed our art work around the bar make it in the shot......I hope. My wife has been making some really cool pieces for this shoot - if your into Polynesian/Tiki art.

So wheres the pin up shots man??? :) lol

Sk8n Reefer

Alright, just arrived in Arlington TX...........here for a day. The pin up shoot was a killer day. I stuck around for a few early shots- 3 costume changes went on. The photographer runs a studio for pin up girls and he was pretty stoked on our room so he wants to shoot all his girls in our room for a full day of shots ?. Here's a few shots of Molly- my buddy's wife who also skates so we went and sessioned the pool while the shoot went down- Molly's wearing one of my wife's tiki necklaces

226e3bfb6d267d3575787d0c0c26dfff_zpssfie

5bd08dda0e0478606accc68e2604ae74_zpsb29u

Photographer even got into it- he's setting the timer and ran around as the bartender

f31939f69cc65db942a08c0f6a2aacdc_zpsvrpv

We did the bar area up- moved that wooden statue over there which is a 60's vintage piece from Witco- pretty much our prize piece

99ce7230bfec704cd9982f5a61c3b7fd_zpsn7fq

Doggies chillin- post shoot

5f22c8435781fa5dc9ffa3caf6f638c7_zpsq3wk

9683a045efb0603b9fb5f737c91a5344_zpskf6b

Photo guy liked the tank- thought the "plants" looked cool ?

Nano sapiens

Step away for a while and ...RTN? Ummm, sorry to hear about that, but looks like things are settling back down again for you.

Captain Obvious, but "You need more room!". Guess the 50g change was timed just right :)

Sk8n Reefer

In tank news things are doing better- 1 of the mille frags is losing tissue so I pulled it- the other two are holding on so far. Everyone else is doing great

Here's a few shots

FTS

xWlAybc.jpg

FKOHuSv.jpg

Bonsai - encrusting like crazy and showing good color

JSyfs1v.jpg

Left side- empty spot where my Mille was ?

oyyTM7R.jpg

Benny hanging out under the Idaho Grape

lxQBxNA.jpg

Stylo macro shot

UjzX4jK.jpg

Spongnode

OQBTqO1.jpg

This is the Pocillopora that attacked the Mille

xHrjOmY.jpg

Bubblegum..........gone from his perch next to the cap?

k4X0oIm.jpg

Right side

gUlARmG.jpg

Sk8n Reefer

Step away for a while and ...RTN? Ummm, sorry to hear about that, but looks like things are settling back down again for you.

Captain Obvious, but "You need more room!". Guess the 50g change was timed just right :)

Ya for sure- I knew things were getting tight and everyone is fighting for space for sure- that mille was pretty hardy but I think the doser mess up caused it to be weak and susceptible - bubblegum was my fav- so that one hurts....... Focus on the 50 towards the end of the week when I am back in town. Like Chris suggested- think I'll move away from the fast growing and aggressive Pocillopora's and probably the digi's too- should be able to get some really nice frags on trade for those larger pieces

Glad to hear things seem to be on the mend with your tank. The extra space in the upgrade will definitely help remedy the warfare...at least for awhile. LOL

The tiki room is seriously sweet man! Thats awesome that he wants to continue to use the room for another round of shots like that, better get workin on that rental contract :lol:

Despite the loses the tank still looks really good man, but I definitely look forward to seeing what you do with the 50 :)

oldskoolwayz

In tank news things are doing better- 1 of the mille frags is losing tissue so I pulled it- the other two are holding on so far. Everyone else is doing great

Here's a few shots

FTS

xWlAybc.jpg

FKOHuSv.jpg

Bonsai - encrusting like crazy and showing good color

JSyfs1v.jpg

Left side- empty spot where my Mille was

oyyTM7R.jpg

Benny hanging out under the Idaho Grape

lxQBxNA.jpg

Stylo macro shot

UjzX4jK.jpg