inTank Media Baskets

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

No, I've been dragging my feet and waiting for the photo shoot with a pin girl in our tiki room ( previous page post) to complete before I brought the new tank in and rearrange the room. I have everything I need now- just waiting on Dave at nanobox to finish up my light - I went with the hybrid quad/quad pretty excited to get that. Then I'll start a new thread. Trying to talk my wife into keeping the Nuvo- I'd like to take it in a totally different direction with LPS and or anenomes but she's not stoked on two tanks in the same room

Ah- gotcha ! Ya, I fly southwest primarily- checking it would be fine- thanks - that opens up all kind of possibilities!

She just needs her own tank thread... haha i'm not dropping this.

I love flying southwest for business. It is so easy to change up flights/schedules if you need to and their customer service is always great. I almost always check a bag, even if it is small enough for carry on because I HATE trying to find places in the bins above. Unless I've got connections. Then I don't trust that it will actually follow me to my destination...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sk8n Reefer

We've been watching Malcolm in the Middle and last night the episode made me think of you :D. Hal built a Tiki Room in his garage as an escape for him and Lois to have a relaxing place to talk after work, away from distractions LOL. It was pretty nice but yours is way better :)..

Haha! That's awesome- missed that one. This is such a great community- I am not on facebook so it's a nice release for me also- everyone is so supportive. Anymore developments on relocating?

She just needs her own tank thread... haha i'm not dropping this.

I love flying southwest for business. It is so easy to change up flights/schedules if you need to and their customer service is always great. I almost always check a bag, even if it is small enough for carry on because I HATE trying to find places in the bins above. Unless I've got connections. Then I don't trust that it will actually follow me to my destination...

Ya, it my preferred airline for sure- I've made the A list now so its nice to get priority etc. Good don't - I read your post to her about taking the tank over........she's not buyin it yet though

Ya, it my preferred airline for sure- I've made the A list now so its nice to get priority etc. Good don't - I read your post to her about taking the tank over........she's not buyin it yet though

I have to think of other good reasons :)

Last year I was freaking 2000K miles short of the companion pass! :angry: This year, I'm nowhere close. I think I've only had 3 or four trips total the whole year so far.

Sk8n Reefer

I have to think of other good reasons :)Last year I was freaking 2000K miles short of the companion pass! :angry: This year, I'm nowhere close. I think I've only had 3 or four trips total the whole year so far.

Ya, it's good to get the bonuses but stinks being away from home- I am also trying to figure out how to either send my skateboard or travel with it.....funny last time I traveled with it people asked if I was bringing that to my son- hahahaha! Buying coral around the country might ease the trip though ?

Ya, it's good to get the bonuses but stinks being away from home- I am also trying to figure out how to either send my skateboard or travel with it.....funny last time I traveled with it people asked if I was bringing that to my son- hahahaha! Buying coral around the country might ease the trip though

I agree 1000000% I'd much rather NOT travel. And that's funny about the skateboard! I tried traveling with my art supplies for a bit and after having TSA take away paints more than 3 times, I gave up on that. Too expensive! I did start traveling with oil pastels though right before I stopped traveling and enjoyed that.

Ya, it's good to get the bonuses but stinks being away from home- I am also trying to figure out how to either send my skateboard or travel with it.....funny last time I traveled with it people asked if I was bringing that to my son- hahahaha! Buying coral around the country might ease the trip though

HAHA, you cant carry-on your board? I saw some dude skating in the airport the other day. I instantly thought of Tony Hawk on PS grinding rails. I always look for a good LFS if I can when I travel, definitely helps...especially when you have time to stop before you go to the airport and bring stuff home. :)

Sk8n Reefer

HAHA, you cant carry-on your board? I saw some dude skating in the airport the other day. I instantly thought of Tony Hawk on PS grinding rails. I always look for a good LFS if I can when I travel, definitely helps...especially when you have time to stop before you go to the airport and bring stuff home. :)

Ya I have before but I bring a Backpac and a carry on usually when I travel for business- so the board might be considered another one-maybe if I strapped it to my carry on. I also try to visit stores - it's fun to see what's common or popular in different parts of the country.

Ya I have before but I bring a Backpac and a carry on usually when I travel for business- so the board might be considered another one-maybe if I strapped it to my carry on. I also try to visit stores - it's fun to see what's common or popular in different parts of the country.

Ya I think if its strapped on it is considered one. I like to see the corals and more importantly the better prices from different places. Pitt sucks for corals! LOL.

Well, if you ever travel to CT, you're going to be completely disappointed with LFSs.

Sk8n Reefer

Well, if you ever travel to CT, you're going to be completely disappointed with LFSs.

Really? So do you buy most corals online?

Borrowed a par meter at my lfs yesterday- should be interesting to see where I am at- I'll postup the readings today once the light hits max

Really? So do you buy most corals online?

Borrowed a par meter at my lfs yesterday- should be interesting to see where I am at- I'll postup the readings today once the light hits max

I've bought every single coral online except on - the neon trumpets.

Where do you buy from?

I've had good luck with saltwaterfish.com and liveaquaria.com. Also got the gobies from LA. But I've also bought from Saltcritters.com and cultivatedreef.com. Also some random Facebook auctions and then bought a bunch of stuff from Zia!

I dip everything in double strength coralRX. And then generally quarantine for two weeks (which my little frag tank now is holding all my stuff for my 12L and I did add a bunch of the SPS from Zia and other stuff from Zia right into the Biocube).

Live Aquaria tends to be more $$ but their guarantee, along with Saltwater Fish, is great. I had a few hermits not make it after a day and SWF credited immediately. With LA, I bought a xenia that didn't ship well and even though it was still hanging on a few weeks later, they credited me for it. So, you don't get the credits for the shipping, so that is a risk, but those are the only two problems I've had and both were rectified quickly.

On the other hand, I haven't been so lucky with the Facebook auctions. I bought some mushrooms on there and those have never shipped well and most "little guy" sellers tend to only have a DOA policy.

Haha! That's awesome- missed that one. This is such a great community- I am not on facebook so it's a nice release for me also- everyone is so supportive. Anymore developments on relocating?

I'm the same. I have a FB but I don't do much with it. Most of my online interaction comes from NR :). Nope...no more developments. Unfortunately it's still 3 years out so it's all just thinking and dreaming right now :).
Sk8n Reefer

Par numbers are in! Really fun playing around with the meter. I run stock Nuvo 16 light(8wtt. each) on the sides and an AI Nano in the center. My AI Nano is at 100% after slowly ramping up over months. Interesting because of the small spread of the Nano some of my corals have a strong par number on one side and weaker on the other- fairly substantial for my purple Stylo and pink Stylo. Many corals are over 400par and loving it. The top numbers are right at the water level. My hiding in the back encrusting red Monti and seasons greetings monti are at 265-225 and doing well- just shaded a lot by the other corals and those areas are not doing well. I checked all readings under my clear screen. Also left the meter in place while the spinstreams circulated to the top and disturbed the surface water- the par numbers would fluctuate by over 100-150 par depending in location. So the par numbers for my corals tend to constantly change throughout the day- which I think is good.

So when I place my corals into the 50gal. I'll borrow the par meter again and place accordingly to their old par numbers and up it in some circumstances. Atleast that's the plan ?

98a74c7be5367645b2ab32575a60e769_zps6bca

Nano sapiens

Interesting. That Pink Birdsnest, especially, is getting a whole lot of light!

Did you just use the numbers on the meter or did you add a percentage adjustment due to the fact that PAR meters under report violet/blue light?

Sk8n Reefer

Interesting. That Pink Birdsnest, especially, is getting a whole lot of light!

Did you just use the numbers on the meter or did you add a percentage adjustment due to the fact that PAR meters under report violet/blue light?

Those were straight from the display. Ya, the Ponape Birdsnest is almost directly under but next to the spinstream also so the par varies a large amount with the flow. It's really taken off in that spot. The bonsai in the back @550 is also getting a large amount and encrusting and spread a lot. That little Millepora in the middle @ 630 isn't taking off though- slow and steady grower.

Beautiful vacation!

Thank you! We had a great time and ready for more!

Nano sapiens

Those were straight from the display. Ya, the Ponape Birdsnest is almost directly under but next to the spinstream also so the par varies a large amount with the flow. It's really taken off in that spot. The bonsai in the back @550 is also getting a large amount and encrusting and spread a lot. That little Millepora in the middle @ 630 isn't taking off though- slow and steady grower.

If you were using an Apogee PAR meter and you'd like to get more accurate PAR numbers, check out their website for percentage adjustment suggestions.

Looks like you got a high light loving Seriatopora there. Some morphs can take it, some can't. Compared to your intense lighting, I'm growing my BNs in the twilight zone :)

'Advanced Aquarist' website has some great articles with A. millepora discussing best lighting for pigmentation, photosaturation, etc. I believe 400 PAR (MH) was around the saturation point and produced excellent pigmentation, but they can take more of course.

Sk8n Reefer

If you were using an Apogee PAR meter and you'd like to get more accurate PAR numbers, check out their website for percentage adjustment suggestions.

Looks like you got a high light loving Seriatopora there. Some morphs can take it, some can't. Compared to your intense lighting, I'm growing my BNs in the twilight zone :)

'Advanced Aquarist' website has some great articles with A. millepora discussing best lighting for pigmentation, photosaturation, etc. I believe 400 PAR (MH) was around the saturation point and produced excellent pigmentation, but they can take more of course.

Yes, I am using the Apogee meter, thanks for the advice, I'll go on their website and check it out. I tied it to a plastic stick so I could easily place it under the screen top. The numbers do jump around a lot especially with my spin streams so I would wait and see where it would settle. I checked it two days in a row with very close numbers- some were dead on. The angle you place it to the light makes all the difference for sure. My ORA green Birdsnest is at 95 back there in the right side corner and he's been doing just fine also. It was a frag from that large colony I turned in. The larger colony was probably getting high 4's and 5's for sure- they seem very adaptable. Ya, I actually scanned through that article lastnight and saved it for my plane ride today- off to Atlanta for a few days.

I need to get my hands on a par meter. I have been wondering that since I added my t5/led hybrid.

For sure- great tool to play around with.
Sk8n Reefer

Playing catch up. Whoa, look at those PAR numbers! Need sunglasses for your tank :lol:

For sure- really surprised me with the numbers.

I was at 113 street at the Straumann Dental company- industrial area for sure. Damn, next visit I'll hit ya up and we can go check it out (ocean ave.). I wonder if I can bring a frag back on the plane?

Do you work for Straumann?
Sk8n Reefer

Do you work for Straumann?

No, they are a vendor for the company I work for ClearChoice Dental Implant Centers and I've been training them on making titanium bars for us- are you in the Dental industry ?

Archived