Pod Your Reef

Sk8n Reefer's Nuvo 16

Sk8n Reefer

Ya, I've been postponing and postponing and finally just got it done! I am running an eshopps RS-75 new generation. Should be all clear and ready for some of my Nuvo rock tomorrow - I'll have to check salinity and get that dialed in

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well well well- finally got the 50gal. wet . Temporary power heads and heater........but it's wet . This is getting exciting! Skated the first time in 6 weeks since breaking ribs and it felt great! Then worked on plumbing on the tank!

6ab90c06f891bf7a24c149d5beb65acd_zpslf8j

Whoooooo Hooooo Progress!!!! :) Love the 3 qt pitcher sump and 1 qt fuge :lol:

reefernanoman

Well well well- finally got the 50gal. wet . Temporary power heads and heater........but it's wet . This is getting exciting! Skated the first time in 6 weeks since breaking ribs and it felt great! Then worked on plumbing on the tank!

6ab90c06f891bf7a24c149d5beb65acd_zpslf8j

Finally! J/K. Looks very nice already! What are the dimensions and brand of the tank again? How much $ was the tank and stand?

Whoooooo Hooooo Progress!!!! :) Love the 3 qt pitcher sump and 1 qt fuge :lol:

That's all you need right! Man, this system evaporated 1gal. Last night- about an 9 hr. Period- that's gonna be a huge ATO container to be able to handle 10 days worth. Might have to put a top over the sump- it's covered on the intake and filter sock area but that's all.

Finally! J/K. Looks very nice already! What are the dimensions and brand of the tank again? How much $ was the tank and stand?

It's an SCAquarium low iron glass that is very clear- really like it. nicest aquarium I've ever owned. It's 24x24x24. In my everyday Craiglist searching I found it - brand new and never used- tank and stand for 300.00- that's cheaper than the tank alone from SCAquarium. I was wanting a larger tank but for 300 bucks I had to pull the trigger!

That's all you need right! Man, this system evaporated 1gal. Last night- about an 9 hr. Period- that's gonna be a huge ATO container to be able to handle 10 days worth. Might have to put a top over the sump- it's covered on the intake and filter sock area but that's all.

Is that with the doors on or off that you lost that much, 1 g seems a bit much for this size tank I'm not even going through that on my 150 right now.... tho I guess it does peak at 4g a day.

I'm definitely impressed with this tank.

Who would've thunk that the stock IM's plus AI Nano would be so conducive to SPS growth?

Also, I'm always happy to see when reefers here can show others that great success with a AIO/without a sump is possible. This is a great entry-level SPS nano setup for people learning. Once you got the AI Nano and MP10...Nutrient control and dosing are the "hard" parts.

I expect you to bump things up to the next level with the 50! More corals! More variety! Better growth! Haha

Good luck and I'll be following ^_^

Is that with the doors on or off that you lost that much, 1 g seems a bit much for this size tank I'm not even going through that on my 150 right now.... tho I guess it does peak at 4g a day.

Yes, that is with the doors off ( my wife is making a new magnetized door that is "Tiki") do you think that made the difference- my pumps at a full 714gph so it's cranked up. 4gal. A day- how big is your ATO container. I really want a unit that can keep the tank running for 10-14 days would be nice.

I'm definitely impressed with this tank.

Who would've thunk that the stock IM's plus AI Nano would be so conducive to SPS growth?

Also, I'm always happy to see when reefers here can show others that great success with a AIO/without a sump is possible. This is a great entry-level SPS nano setup for people learning. Once you got the AI Nano and MP10...Nutrient control and dosing are the "hard" parts.

I expect you to bump things up to the next level with the 50! More corals! More variety! Better growth! Haha

Good luck and I'll be following ^_^

Thanks Spencer7 ! Don't forget my heavy feeding schedule- I really think that feeding the tank daily really helps with the growth- but then you have phosphate issues so for me- GFO is critical for success. I wish I could run an MP10a because of the Nuvo breaking issues I opted for a larger return pump and spin streams but with the size of the corals now a powerhead would be nice.......but I don't dare! A doser is a game changer for sure- keeps things stable throughout the day

Yes, more sps- transition into some smooth skin acros's ............thanks for checking things out!

Looks great! Doors closed means less air flow and less evaporation :)

Thanks man, ya that makes sense- gonna have to nudge my wife on the door to get her moving along. I am staying in Denver for the next 2 weeks then on vacation so I should be able to make some good progress. Might take a year to transfer things over from the Nuvo.......?

Well, at least you don't have to worry about messing something up by going too fast :lol:

Hahahahahaha- that's right! I can mess it up going slow just as easy ?

It's a cluster for the moment- cords everywhere but all clear and salinity is in check at 1.025. I have my sump level accurate. Not running the skimmer yet- no need for that headache of adjusting just yet?. Probably remove the powerheads and hook up the Gyre this weekend. Time to start a new thread also........so much to do! Good to not be traveling for a few weeks

Still need to hook my awesome nanobox hybrid up also!

c3bcce20f076385ea71092db9368083c_zpsfmft

Gonna add a few smaller pieces of rock from the Nuvo this week and maybe start some scaping this weekend or next with this stuff- possibilities are endless. Thanks Chris for the idea ?

0e2370c76ad8c45d01dc33317fcceb9e_zpstnxr

Yes, that is with the doors off ( my wife is making a new magnetized door that is "Tiki") do you think that made the difference- my pumps at a full 714gph so it's cranked up. 4gal. A day- how big is your ATO container. I really want a unit that can keep the tank running for 10-14 days would be nice.

Yeah the doors definitely make a difference. Surface aggitation, does too I believe.

No ATO its still sitting in the box.... Even if I ever do put it online its only a little 5g (maybe 10, pretty sure 5 tho), all I have room for in my stand really w/o going custom and custom ATO doesn't really excite me. We don't ever go on vacation really so its not that big of a deal, if I did I'd just turn my return off, the tanks big enough it can handle a little evaporation lol

You guys being in dry country - I can see evap being a bigger issue there for SURE. You're gonna need an extra cabinet just for your ATO container!!

It's a cluster for the moment- cords everywhere but all clear and salinity is in check at 1.025. I have my sump level accurate. Not running the skimmer yet- no need for that headache of adjusting just yet. Probably remove the powerheads and hook up the Gyre this weekend. Time to start a new thread also........so much to do! Good to not be traveling for a few weeks

Still need to hook my awesome nanobox hybrid up also!

c3bcce20f076385ea71092db9368083c_zpsfmft

Gonna add a few smaller pieces of rock from the Nuvo this week and maybe start some scaping this weekend or next with this stuff- possibilities are endless. Thanks Chris for the idea

E-Marco is awesome stuff!!!

And :haha::haha::haha::haha: to the new tank!!!!

Gonna add a few smaller pieces of rock from the Nuvo this week and maybe start some scaping this weekend or next with this stuff- possibilities are endless. Thanks Chris for the idea

Hows the Mrs. coming along on the doors, I'm looking forward to seeing them. I like the tiki room alot so definitely going to be interesting to see what she comes up with :)

Sweet man, I'm excited to see what you can come up with, that stuff can help you make some crazy scapes. Get creative, have fun, and dont forget to get some cheap plastic party cups of various sizes.... or pvc cut to different lengths although you don't have a ton of working time with that stuff it sets up pretty quick. That said I found that it worked ok to keep an extra cup of water on hand to keep wetting the mix down as needed to extend workability, and I haven't had any strength issues with doing so.

You guys being in dry country - I can see evap being a bigger issue there for SURE. You're gonna need an extra cabinet just for your ATO container!!

E-Marco is awesome stuff!!!And :haha::haha::haha::haha: to the new tank!!!!

Yes it is dry here for sure- evaporation seems to have calmed down a bit- less than a gallon today. That's tolerable so I ordered the 10gal. ATO. It would be nice for it to last two weeks ?. Have you worked with E-Marco?

She's started cutting some bamboo in half and is working on the main tiki that will be used as the handle ? excited to see how the E-Marco works. I'll be using wet rock too so I'll have to use a spray bottle to keep everything somewhat wet then cover it with newspapers or plastic. Great tip on the plastic cups. This is gonna be fun for sure

The spin stream poci is becoming a colony- growth of this coral is pretty amazing. Gonna be sad when I have to remove it - I'll try to save as much as I can. It's now competing for space with the Ponape Birdsnest. Maybe the spin stream will become a frag plug ?

4557e1c32caf958199f009dc008777fb_zpswlfy

I need something like this.

Ya, pretty excited about it being 10gal. And a small footprint - 120.00 on eBay! I'll take it!

Now, do you have a pump and a separate line coming out of the top of that thing? Or are using the ATO nozzle (w/tubing) connected to the pump?

Archived