inTank Media Baskets

Plainrt's shallow 80 deep blue rimless mixed reef

plainrt

hey, how's your longnose with the cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimps? i keep reading they may eat shrimps...

10+ years ago I had a 75 gallon with a longnose and various shrimps (cleaner, scarlet). It was fine -- the longnose ignored them. He was a major jumper though! Luckily it was the overflow he would land in.

• Like 3

hey, how's your longnose with the cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimps? i keep reading they may eat shrimps...

It's hit or miss. IMO longnose hawks are better behaved than other Hawks. I have some peppermints and cleaner and none have been touched. I got my longnose pretty small and believe can help also. Oh and I feed heavy lol. I love watching that hawk move around tank. Soon as I get near tank it acts like a puppy begging for food. Gonna be In Chicago this weekend so what's your top 3 favorite reef stores down there nowdays? I might try to swing by one or two on way home even though don't need anything

Speaking of shrimp I posted this on local site while back and thought I did here also but I guess not :(

7233993F-61C5-4CF0-9CD0-4265862858E2_zps

F7A9E021-568F-4E39-B9FB-1264193E43B3_zps

• Like 10

Reefwise, Aquapros in the west suburbs

Seven Seas Aquatic just opened in the north suburbs

New Fish if you are in the city city. Small place but not bad for being in the city.

holy crap, that shrimp is huge. no wonder the hawkfish's not interested...hahah

• Like 2

Lol three of them were on my list. Never been to new fish. Oh and my hawk has never jumped that I know of. My yellow wrasse hits the screen top daily and is always beat up from it. I wish wasn't so hard to catch I'd find him a bigger home as might help it.

• Like 2

Lol three of them were on my list. Never been to new fish. Oh and my hawk has never jumped that I know of. My yellow wrasse hits the screen top daily and is always beat up from it. I wish wasn't so hard to catch I'd find him a bigger home as might help it.

I am pretty sure Seven Seas does not do any QT for their fish but they have a lot of big ones for people with like 200-300 gallon tanks. Aquapros is always my fav for their low prices. Reefwise caters to the richer crowd with exotic fish and expensive corals. They have a good selection of frags too.

• Like 1

I have found few sweet deals at aquapros. Was little let down last winter when was in there last because I saw a lot of byropsis on frags. I picked up nice scoly but had some on. I did peroxide dip on but evil stuff came back so got rid of instead of spreading in my tank. I'd check them out again though as I know that can come from anywhere. I loved reef wise. Cool setup but little higher priced.

Thanks for the help ;)

• Like 2

I have found few sweet deals at aquapros. Was little let down last winter when was in there last because I saw a lot of byropsis on frags. I picked up nice scoly but had some on. I did peroxide dip on but evil stuff came back so got rid of instead of spreading in my tank. I'd check them out again though as I know that can come from anywhere. I loved reef wise. Cool setup but little higher priced.

I was at AquaPros a few weeks ago. Seems they go through periods of bad algae. Lots of bryopsis when I was there, so I grabbed something on a bright white (looked very newly fragged) plug.

I dunno how far south you'll be, but my favorite place to go is Aquatica in Tinley Park. After that, Reefwise, and AquaPros.

• Like 2

Randoms from today. Keeping this tank mixed seems to become harder as it ages. Last weekend I spent 1/2 day taking out my sump and doing complete clean. Hopefully that helps reduce trates a bit.

F38EB916-B21A-46ED-B818-3B6805C1A9D8_zps

CEA02EDE-A7A4-4EF1-8C5D-D658A9E7A924_zps

D0FEBDEC-1236-47F5-9986-9AB9329A1685_zps

• Like 10

looks like you missed a spot on the rock that has no coral yet. get to work!

Lmao I keep watching the bare spots of rock and can't wait for the day can't see any open spots...... That way algae can't grow on it. ;)

• Like 2

Thanks man. Was in Chicago this weekend and picked up two nice torches that I'll get better pics of someday. Here is crappy fts from today. I need to get better one soon.

8551FA43-887D-44CC-ACE7-DF470B678E8A_zps

BCC1EDD1-E006-49F4-9B31-5640A221C66F_zps

• Like 6

Oh my, those "crappy" pics are fantastic! Love the torch at the top of the pic, but they are going to look nice together.

Thanks ;) That shot was taken looking up at torch so you get reflection off top of water. That torch is a gold and green hybrid. Very hard to capture In pic. Other one I picked up is purple and gold with green tips. I have been holding out on torch corals till I found nice ones and today was happy to add something to tank I have been looking for.

• Like 1

where did you get them from? anything good at Aquapros? haven't been there in a couple of months.

I picked them up from reef wise. They just cut them up. I didn't stop aquapros as last time I wasn't to happy about the byropsis. It was only like 3 miles from my hotel and still didn't feel like it.

• Like 1

Beautiful pictures. LOL at the purple stylo, such weeds!

Is the stylo on the right a Rainbow? I need one with those color polyps.

I'm not sure the name of it. I was at guys house and it had little colony of it and was drooling over it so I offered him $25 bucks to cut inch frag off it cause I had to have it.It has cool colors. I thought you had one like it.

• Like 4