Innovative Marine Aquariums

Plainrt's shallow 80 deep blue rimless mixed reef

plainrt

Right. I'm not sure what happened I know I had hundreds and hundreds of stomatella snails couple weeks ago and just noticed they are all gone. I'm not sure what caused them to die off but I wonder if that's the cause of phos and trates rising? I was thinking it was maybe the sand and would love to remove the sand and replace with new but I have way too many baby flower nems to make that possible :( I hate playing with Gfo but not many options :(

Sorry to hear all this! How high are your nitrates and phosphates? If you have a lot of nitrates and not as many phosphates, you could try biopellets instead of GFO.

• Like 1

Phosphates are the issue. Nitrates up a little but nothing to worry about. Phos right now .13 ish and that's with some Gfo online.

Have you up'd you feeding or maybe Gfo is exhausted?

• Like 1

Been feeding same for months. Prob just caught up now lol. I change out Gfo more often than most. I need to slowly add more Gfo but hate playing this game lol

• Like 1

Ugh, I wonder what changed to raise your phosphates. I hate dealing with GFO. Hopefully you can find the right amount though and get it stable again.

• Like 1

Sorry about the phosphate issues, they sneak up on ya. :(

That they do. I'm looking into good nitrate test kit as maybe my ratio is off and not helping with phos. A lot of my sps has become pale and that's why had hard time thinking was phos at first. Something is off. Gonna pick up new trate test kit in next couple days so can figure this mess out.

• Like 1

What test kit have you found to like for trates?

Salifert, really fast and simple. 1ml water, 4 drops jazz, 1 level scoop powder. Swirl for 30 seconds, wait 3 minutes. If it's not obvious from the top then look through the side and divide by 10. If it's clear you know you have issues, as well as deep red from the top.

• Like 2

10 trates and .10 phos. Just gonna do some larger wc and than instead of one large weekly lps feeding do smaller ones few times week. Not sure where else to start. Mixed tank catching up to me........

Tanks sucking but these still going

1D720C21-D86B-4ABD-8D29-0BBB990E8945_zps

• Like 4

Hopefully you figure it out. i had some phosphate issues, then i started dosing vodka seems to be helping. Though i wouldn't recommend it without proper research.

Your tanks still looks awesome...good luck!

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not sure. Maybe ph or wife was cleaning or something lol. Alk and cal been rock solid. I check that stuff often. Sps is combo of pale,brown and poor pe lol. Something happened that's all I can say.

• Like 1

Did 10 gal wc and skimming more wet. Down to .06 phos and little over 5 trates I believe. My eyes not best with test kit color lol. Getting little color back also.

• Like 1

10 trates and .10 phos. Just gonna do some larger wc and than instead of one large weekly lps feeding do smaller ones few times week. Not sure where else to start. Mixed tank catching up to me........

Tanks sucking but these still going

1D720C21-D86B-4ABD-8D29-0BBB990E8945_zps

Those are my favorites :wub::wub:

• Like 2

Love your tank. Quick question, does your elegance coral not sting the rest of the things around it?

No not really at all. Had base of some sps under it be bothered but not big deal. Zoas grow all the way down side of that middle rock and touch it all day and are open. It also touches the chalices a lot and nothing. It's prob my favorite piece in tank. Wish I had room for another

• Like 1

No not really at all. Had base of some sps under it be bothered but not big deal. Zoas grow all the way down side of that middle rock and touch it all day and are open. It also touches the chalices a lot and nothing. It's prob my favorite piece in tank. Wish I had room for another

Cool I have mine out away from everything because I have heard they will just sting everything.

• Like 1

Been a while since pics so here are some from this weekend. Lost a few sps and some still not the same yet but I can see things are getting better again. All lps is doing good. I love looking at size of acan heads in pics. I have local frag swap this coming weekend that hope have time to help out with. It's always nice helping at swap to see the good stuff first :)

1921969C-9237-4627-AA33-ACF3565D655B_zps

D3E19266-E0FA-40FA-8A9D-06AAC625B8D9_zps

836856F7-DEA5-4869-8EC3-37C3D309A6B7_zps

2C88150F-0BDA-4448-BA7B-183ABFF7762D_zps

• Like 9