Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Smith's ADA 60-F *Retired*

Smithjm5

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd heard plenty of stories about people getting goby/shrimp pairs and them burrowing in the back of the tank where you could never seem them and I was hoping this wouldn't happen to me. Well I acclimated them yesterday afternoon and had to leave for the night and when I came back late last night I saw the shrimp had made it's burrow right where I was hoping he would! It's right front and center of the tank so I can see what's going on. The only thing is I didn't by the two as a pair they were separate, but they said they should pair up. Is there an average time it'll take it to happen or is it just one of those things that is going to take some time? Also, when they do pair up will the goby just move into the burrow the shrimp already dug, or will they make a new one? Thanks!

Yasha photo-bombing in the back lol

14016379541_99afb16b0d_c.jpg

Really sad to report that I just got home from work to see my Yasha goby curled up next to a rock dead... :tears: All the other fish and inverts seem to be fine. I'm getting ready to test my water to see what went wrong...R.I.P little buddy.

That's terrible. Always sucks to lose a fish, especially your favorites. Hopefully your water tests out ok.

Yea it does, he was a really cool little fish. Thanks

Alright so I just finished testing my water and it appears my ammonia levels are a little high at about 0.25-.50 everything else seems fine. It's hard to tell from the pic but the P.h. is a little low not by much though. I'm guessing the ammonia level is what did it to him thought? Any help would be appreciated. I'm getting ready to do a water change as well.

14047117373_66a173eb8a_z.jpg

So I went down to my LFS today to talk about the goby and they think he might of just been too stressed so they gave me store credit, they also had another yasha there but I told them I'd wait a little while before getting another fish (plus I wanna see what there getting in from Florida when they went to reefapalooza!) So Instead I picked up a neat little duncan coral! I'll post some pics tonight hopefully when it's opened up. :)

Sorry to hear about the goby, it always sucks losing a fish. Everything else is looking good though. :)

Yea I was pretty bummed, Thanks for the kind words!

Nanofreak79

My Duncan colony is in pretty strong flow. It might just need to get used to either the tank or flow hitting it.

GlassHouse

Alright so I just finished testing my water and it appears my ammonia levels are a little high at about 0.25-.50

That's a good bit more than "a little high". It looks like your tank isn't cycled fully yet. I'd start dosing a small amount of "Prime" daily and do a 50% water change immediately. Clownfish can survive higher ammonia levels, which explains why the goby died and they didn't.

That's a good bit more than "a little high". It looks like your tank isn't cycled fully yet. I'd start dosing a small amount of "Prime" daily and do a 50% water change immediately. Clownfish can survive higher ammonia levels, which explains why the goby died and they didn't.

Thanks

So I just made another order from MarineDepot.com just to get a few things (salt mix, glass cleaner) and got the confirmation email saying my order shipped. The little emails they send are really funny and i'm sure you've all gotten them before, I know I have but i thought i'd share it for the laughs. Also just wanted to mention how much I enjoy ordering from Marine Depot, there always very fast to ship out and have great customer service. So keep it up!

"Good news, JOSH!

Your aquarium supplies have been carefully picked from Marine Depot's shelves like delicate berries and placed into a wicker basket lined with unicorn fur. With the grace of a ballerina, we tiptoed them to our packing station where Santa's Elves who work with us during their off-season prepared your order for shipment.

Your products were methodically placed in each box using techniques taught to us by a former Tetris World Champion. Using a pair of tweezers, we placed hundreds of packing peanuts one-by-one into every nook and cranny to ensure safe transport. We are proud to share with you that our packing peanuts are reusable, recyclable, biodegradable and made using 100% recycled content. They also do not trigger peanut allergies. Eat your heart out, Mr. Peanut. "

So my tank has begun to get a good amount of what I guess is green hair algae in this past week. It's mostly on the left island of the tank and a little at the bottom of the glass. I read that I should just increase my water changes which I have, but I was wondering if there were any critters I could get to help with the problem also, right now I just have a cuc of snails I have a bunch of cerith snails one nassarius and two or three nerites and none of them seem to mess with the stuff. Would some hermits clean it up? Thanks!

14103789232_9856abfeb8_z.jpg

13920228789_0605ae5fd3_z.jpg

frankdontsurf

That's green hair algae. I'd pick it off with my hands, do a large water change and pace myself on feeding for a week. I wouldn't add a fish or any other critters to target it - it's not that serious. It's a young tank and you have to "pay dues", no biggie.

That's green hair algae. I'd pick it off with my hands, do a large water change and pace myself on feeding for a week. I wouldn't add a fish or any other critters to target it - it's not that serious. It's a young tank and you have to "pay dues", no biggie.

Couldn't have said it better. If anything a small turbo snail of it were to get a lot worse but I'd remove him after the algae is gone

Manual removal will be your best bet, water changes will help keep it from coming back until your bioload balances out. I wouldn't really add any snails, you can pull out a lot more with water changes than a snail will eat and ultimately add to your bioload.

Archived