Cultivated Reef

Smith's ADA 60-F *Retired*

Smithjm5

I have a little ric garden. They look really cool when you put a bunch together.

Yea they do, I've just been picky with the color morphs i'll buy because I don't want any dull colors. You def pay for the bright ones tho haha!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nanosaurus

I love 60-F tanks :wub:

You should get a hydor inline heater to replace your neotherm! ADAs look gorgeous when they're as cord-free as possible

I love 60-F tanks :wub:

You should get a hydor inline heater to replace your neotherm! ADAs look gorgeous when they're as cord-free as possible

I thought about it but the way this canister filter works with the pump on the outside of the canister I wouldn't have room for it on the outflow, and I don' think it would work well on the inflow side. I would like to though haha.

14370384325_e23f526bb3.jpg

Sooo I've been thinking about replacing the clown that went carpet surfing and had a few questions..

First, If I didn't replace the clown and just left it rock it solo, do you think a firefish would be cool?

Second, if I don't replace it, will the single clown get more adventurous once it takes on role as the female? Right now he just swims in a little area in the back...

Lastly, if I do replace the clown, I think I want a designer clown or maybe a black occ... I was thinking platinum tho, what do you guys think?

Roshan8768

Firefish are cool but super skittish... with your scape and how shallow your tank is it'll take a long time for one to settle down and be out and about to were you can see it a lot. Oh and you'll definitely need that top

Eventually your clown should become more adventurous but that doesn't necessarily have a set timeline... it could be tomorrow or 3 years from now. Plus clowns are weird... maybe he likes "hosting" the back corner- I know mine did until they had anemones

I don't really like the designer clowns at all, but if I had to choose a variety it would be the b&w or snowflake

Firefish are cool but super skittish... with your scape and how shallow your tank is it'll take a long time for one to settle down and be out and about to were you can see it a lot. Oh and you'll definitely need that top

Eventually your clown should become more adventurous but that doesn't necessarily have a set timeline... it could be tomorrow or 3 years from now. Plus clowns are weird... maybe he likes "hosting" the back corner- I know mine did until they had anemones

I don't really like the designer clowns at all, but if I had to choose a variety it would be the b&w or snowflake

Yea I'll definitely get a top before I get a firefish, if i do. Yea, I figured it just kinda depended on the fish's personality, so it would

probably be best just to get him another female to coax him out more in the open! Thanks for the opinions and advice!

Alright so i finally decided on a lid for the tank, the way I made it was that the middle was open so I could still get into the tank when needed and for feeding but since most fish jump around the edges they'll still be protected. And if needed later I can put some netting in the middle. I had to cut it with a jigsaw and it took forever! But I think it looks ok haha. Let me know what you think!

14392397035_f590868948_z.jpg

14391358734_e636f9efe2_z.jpg

14205757339_cacae550fb_z.jpg

Very cool. I didn't know you could buy those. Hmmmm.

Yup, I think they just call them tank clips there's a few different styles too, it came with a pack of four but I just used 2 for now.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Alright so i finally decided on a lid for the tank, the way I made it was that the middle was open so I could still get into the tank when needed and for feeding but since most fish jump around the edges they'll still be protected. And if needed later I can put some netting in the middle. I had to cut it with a jigsaw and it took forever! But I think it looks ok haha. Let me know what you think!

14392397035_f590868948_z.jpg

14391358734_e636f9efe2_z.jpg

14205757339_cacae550fb_z.jpg

Nice top!

But I am interested to know about bowing (deflection) with the lid? Being a fabricator myself, I notice from the photo that the top appears to be either 3/8" or 1/2" acrylic, any thinner it will bow with time.

Key solution would be to make the exact cuts on both sides to flip it when the bowing occurs, say once a month simple solution.

But may I ask about thickness and if you have encountered bowing?

Your tank looks long and I have a request for a build similar to yours and he is wanting 24 inches across and I know running thinner acrylic will bow.

Thanks,

Mike Guerrero

Nice top!

But I am interested to know about bowing (deflection) with the lid? Being a fabricator myself, I notice from the photo that the top appears to be either 3/8" or 1/2" acrylic, any thinner it will bow with time.

Key solution would be to make the exact cuts on both sides to flip it when the bowing occurs, say once a month simple solution.

But may I ask about thickness and if you have encountered bowing?

Your tank looks long and I have a request for a build similar to yours and he is wanting 24 inches across and I know running thinner acrylic will bow.

Thanks,

Mike Guerrero

The lid you're building is for me haha, on this I used 3/8 acrylic and so far it's bowed very little if any, but I make sure to keep it off the water level and I think the fact that it's opened up in the middle helps with condensation so it doesn't bow as easily

Looks great, I hope they don't aim for the middle.

Lol me too! I'll probably end up putting some netting in the middle anyway...

Looks great... keep the ideas coming. It just gives me more thing to use for myself :P

Haha, will do!

Wouldn't a few more clips along the long side of the tank make it so the lid wouldn't bow?

Yes it would, but for now it hasn't really bowed yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed without them, plus it looks really ugly with them on the front of the tank haha.

So I just got back from my LFS and picked up another clown, I got a sweet one B) pics to follow soooon!

Edit: Here she is! She is a Frostbite clown from sustainable aquatics about 1.5" long. I'll try and get a better pic later she's just been in that back corner since I got her.

14434588943_b4a355706b_z.jpg

Very pretty- so milky white.

Thanks! Looks even better in person, she's finally starting to explore a little haha.

Archived