Pod Your Reef

Smith's ADA 60-F *Retired*

Smithjm5

Cool tank you have here!

Thank ya!

My recommendation is to add a smaller clown as if you add a larger it will force your now most likely female to change again, I can't say for certain and while it may be natural I have read it could be stressful for the fish to change sexes from dominant to subordinate.

He was the male in the last pair, and he's pretty small so I think i'm gonna go with a bigger one again. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

I've always loved naked clowns lol *repeats that outloud* they are so deep orange.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Or you could go black naked clown of you want they are adorable with the little orange on face.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'll do kinda like the look of the nakeds or maybe a misbar clown i'll have to see what my lfs has!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank is looking CLEAN! :D looks like the algae passed pretty quickly. Does that "Real Reef Live Rock" come "live" any pest issues that you've noticed?

Oh ya, what setting do you have your WP10 on? I'm still undecided if I want to even use a powerhead, I think with dual returns and an oscillating output on one of them I should have enough flow for my planned "stock"

Tank is looking CLEAN! :D looks like the algae passed pretty quickly. Does that "Real Reef Live Rock" come "live" any pest issues that you've noticed?

Oh ya, what setting do you have your WP10 on? I'm still undecided if I want to even use a powerhead, I think with dual returns and an oscillating output on one of them I should have enough flow for my planned "stock"

Thanks, yea when I came back from my trip in Nashville for a week everything was clean haha. I guess the snails took care of it while I was gone! It didn't come with any pests that I know of yet... to be honest from what I remember it came in dry so I don't how "live" it was. But I like it a lot, cools shapes and looks awesome!

I change the wp-10 around some, but I should mention I have a power converter thing that drops the voltage to 12 so I can mess with all the settings on the controller, it was too strong before the converter. I usually have it either on H2 on S3 or Else on S3 and recently Iv'e been using W1 on S2 and the corals seem to like it :D

Your tank has a very nice and clean look. I also had a set of Poppy pipes and was thinking of using an old Eheim Pro 2 cannister filter with Seachem Matrix to increase the amount of bio filtration in my tank. To try to be minimalist though, in the end the tank has no filter - try to make up for it with more frequent large water changes. The filter or a small sump / refugium / skimmer setup is waiting around though in case they are needed.

What is your lighting schedule for the Maxspect? Our light to tank bottom distance seems to be similar. From the specs and PAR light map from Maxspect at 100%, it seems that running a max of 30%-40% still might bleach some LPS or soft coral...

I was thinking (I get to work at 7:00-ish, so staring the photo period to start earlier in the day):

0600 A: 00 B: 00

0800 A: 05 B: 25

1000 A: 30 B: 30

1400 A: 30 B: 30

1600 A: 25 B: 30

1900 A: 00 B: 00

Thanks, yea when I came back from my trip in Nashville for a week everything was clean haha. I guess the snails took care of it while I was gone! It didn't come with any pests that I know of yet... to be honest from what I remember it came in dry so I don't how "live" it was. But I like it a lot, cools shapes and looks awesome!

I change the wp-10 around some, but I should mention I have a power converter thing that drops the voltage to 12 so I can mess with all the settings on the controller, it was too strong before the converter. I usually have it either on H2 on S3 or Else on S3 and recently Iv'e been using W1 on S2 and the corals seem to like it :D

Nice! I forget if you seeded your rock with anything but it seems like it must have been live unless the sand had enough to help your tank get over the initial uglies that quickly. All my tanks take twice as long to get over the greens/browns but that's starting with barren white dry rock and no sand. I read on the MD website that it's farmed in outdoor greenhouses for bacteria so would be weird if they shipped it completely dry.

Which power converter do you have? I've seen a few different options from lower voltage power supplies to inline dimmers. Thanks for the info!

Your tank has a very nice and clean look. I also had a set of Poppy pipes and was thinking of using an old Eheim Pro 2 cannister filter with Seachem Matrix to increase the amount of bio filtration in my tank. To try to be minimalist though, in the end the tank has no filter - try to make up for it with more frequent large water changes. The filter or a small sump / refugium / skimmer setup is waiting around though in case they are needed.

What is your lighting schedule for the Maxspect? Our light to tank bottom distance seems to be similar. From the specs and PAR light map from Maxspect at 100%, it seems that running a max of 30%-40% still might bleach some LPS or soft coral...

I was thinking (I get to work at 7:00-ish, so staring the photo period to start earlier in the day):

0600 A: 00 B: 00

0800 A: 05 B: 25

1000 A: 30 B: 30

1400 A: 30 B: 30

1600 A: 25 B: 30

1900 A: 00 B: 00

It's kinda of wonky right now because i'm still messing with it, but it comes on at 8, maxes out a 25% during the day and then it ramps down and finally cuts off at 11pm I think i'm going to cut how long it's on down though.

Nice! I forget if you seeded your rock with anything but it seems like it must have been live unless the sand had enough to help your tank get over the initial uglies that quickly. All my tanks take twice as long to get over the greens/browns but that's starting with barren white dry rock and no sand. I read on the MD website that it's farmed in outdoor greenhouses for bacteria so would be weird if they shipped it completely dry.

Which power converter do you have? I've seen a few different options from lower voltage power supplies to inline dimmers. Thanks for the info!

I actually had it in another tank cycling for about a month before it was in this tank, but then I also added some bottled bacteria during this cycle...But I do remember it was completely dry when I got the rock.

And I got the converter from Fishstreet but I can't find it on their website give me a minute and I'll see if I can find it.

I got some new inhabitants for the tank today! I'm pretty satisfied that this will complete the fish list for this tank. I was originally going to get another clown for the tank but I decided I wanted to try something different since I've had a few clowns now ( :tears: ) SOO, I ended up picking up 2 new fishy friends, this morning I picked up a yellow tail damsel, and just a couple hours ago I got a yellow watchman goby!

The lights are too low to get any good pics now but I'll try and get some tomorrow, The damsel and clown are getting along great which is awesome. While I was out I also picked up some utter chaos zoa's ;) I was looking on the plug when I got home though and there is bubble algae on it! If I just scrub it off with a toothbrush (outside of the tank, it hasn't left the bag yet) should I be okay?

So in the 3 hours I've had the goby he already went carpet surfing! With the lid on the tank, he jumped out the little square where the ato is! I didn't even notice it and I looked over in the tank and couldn't find him and then I saw him on the carpet and chucked him back in the tank! He was breathing really heavy but finally caught his breathe and is OK! WHEW

Here's some pics of the YWG, he seems to be doing well now, but he still hasn't found the pistol shrimp in the cave in his bottom right.

14748719132_e05e9fe6e4_c.jpg

14562349740_8107f7f7b6_c.jpg

I'll try and get some pics of the Yellow tail damsel later every time I get close with the camera he swims away! And I'll have some pics of the zoas up once everything opens up a little better. They are definitely not utter chaos zoa's though since I looked those up, i'm not sure that kind they are.

A couple pics, The gobie ended up finding the pistol shrimp pretty quickly, they are living happily together in their burrow now!

And I also got a pic of the damsel, he's so quick it's hard to get a pic of him and it's kind of washed out but at least you can see him!

14592880519_9f420f4587_c.jpg

14777075964_556fb7177d_c.jpg

14776278381_f7335da971_c.jpg

Nice! Glad they found each other, now they'll be inseparable. If I end up doing sand in my tank I might pickup a pair as well...looks like the frog, rics and duncans are doing great now

Nice! Glad they found each other, now they'll be inseparable. If I end up doing sand in my tank I might pickup a pair as well...looks like the frog, rics and duncans are doing great now

Yea they never come out now haha, yea they are all doing good, I just cant get my zoa's happy which is suppose to be some of the easiest corals lol

Eh, I think every tank has corals that do well and ones that don't do well. I can't seem to get my torch or acans to be really happy. I also have a small frag of tubs blues that has like never fully opened/multipled and I've tried it in so many different places.

Yea it can be frustrating but not much you can do but move them around until you find "the" spot I guess!

*OFF TOPIC*

She makes me nervous lol

14787285644_61ffe4282c_b.jpg

I think I finally found a spot my zoa's like! I moved them up higher in the tank and I've been turning up the lights over the last few weeks i'm at 30% at the high and everything seems to be liking it. Sorry for the crappy pics still don't have a dedicated camera <_<

Does anyone know what kind of zoa's are under the radioactive dragon eyes? It's hard to tell in the pic but they are orange in the center followed by a purple outer ring and dark yellow *SKIRTS* tentacles or whatever you call the little feelers haha.

14610705069_754884eb0f_z.jpg

Sounds like Eagle Eyes, few different morphs with varying skirt colors.

I googled them and that's what they most look like, hopefully they'll color up some more. Thanks Chou!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived