Smithjm5

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great work as always from Chris@PicO

Very nice!!! In yo face jumpers!

Yea he's a beast! Lol

Can I ask why your turning up the blues

Chou suggested it! "I'd say try bumping up your blues, they pack the most punch and provide the most useful light spectrum for corals"

pismo_reefer

Pffft..... Ever seen a frogspawn at the top of the water, on a halide tank, in front of a 600gph powerhead?

I have.... ;)

Just trying bumping the lights up before u move anything.

Also... That duncan will shrivel up from too much light WAY before the torch.

You might have 50-60 par, where those rics are, judging by the stretching.

Probably around 60-70 at the duncans/torch level.

Id bump em up a bit, then wait a couple hours.

Watch for the Ric's to start retracting over the few hours.

Look for the polyps to "un-cup" and "shrink".

They'll just look like theyre happy.

Seated down against the rock, like a Nem.

But not "shriveled".

They will respond to proper light levels very quickly;

when going from too low a par level, up to a suitable one.

(Ric's and Mushiez are great light indicators.)

Sorry about all the edits.

Im kinda A.D.D.

Pffft..... Ever seen a frogspawn at the top of the water, on a halide tank, in front of a 600gph powerhead?

I have.... ;)

Just trying bumping the lights up before u move anything.

Also... That duncan will shrivel up from too much light WAY before the torch.

You might have 50-60 par, where those rics are, judging by the stretching.

Probably around 60-70 at the duncans/torch level.

Id bump em up a bit, then wait a couple hours.

Watch for the Ric's to start retracting over the few hours.

Look for the polyps to "un-cup" and "shrink".

They'll just look like theyre happy.

Seated down against the rock, like a Nem.

But not "shriveled".

They will respond to proper light levels very quickly;

when going from too low a par level, up to a suitable one.

(Ric's and Mushiez are great light indicators.)

Sorry about all the edits.

Im kinda A.D.D.

Haha no worries, I appreciate all the info. I'll be sure to bump it up a little tomorrow when the lights are back on and let you know how it goes!

Cameron6796

Oh... I thought that was a myth that blues are better... Maybe for colour but the sun isn't blue and corals thrive still. Idk lol I'm probably so outta my league ATM, just hope it all pulls through since this is an awesome tank.

Blues not only make the corals look awesome for us as the viewer but they pack a serious punch when it comes to coral growth, violets even more so. I basically run a 2:1 ration on my blue intensity over my whites. Blues go right up to 85% with the white there only so I can blend it in to make it look nice.

That custom top looks awesome Smith, Pico saves the day again.

Oh... I thought that was a myth that blues are better... Maybe for colour but the sun isn't blue and corals thrive still. Idk lol I'm probably so outta my league ATM, just hope it all pulls through since this is an awesome tank.

I'm not sure I've heard a few people say that it does pack more of the beneficial wavelengths so it can't hurt to try!

Blues not only make the corals look awesome for us as the viewer but they pack a serious punch when it comes to coral growth, violets even more so. I basically run a 2:1 ration on my blue intensity over my whites. Blues go right up to 85% with the white there only so I can blend it in to make it look nice.

That custom top looks awesome Smith, Pico saves the day again.

Thanks Rollajase! Chris sure knows what he's doing over there!

I have.... ;)

Some of you (rollajase excluded) need to look up light spectrum info.... For realz.

Like I mentioned earlier they can be acclimated to higher light but I have personally bleached out a big multi-colored colony due to too much light and it's slowly now just started recovering. Smaller single head frags that bleached I had success moving them completely under the mother colony in the shade. Based on his original photo where it was not translucent and more colored led me to believe that it bleached. Sure if he leaves it in the same spot it will ultimately adjust to the light; but, being a small single head frag it could also melt..again all imo, anecdotal experience and suggestions.

I have read many light spectrum guides and built multiple DIY LED fixtures and provided information consistent with rollajase so I'll just assume you left me out of that "exclusion" :)

I think it's coloring up a little bit, what do ya'll think? Also, how long does everyone keep their lights on the highest point before they start ramping them down for the night?

14683465881_58e169fb75.jpg

Looks like you moved it off that rock in the middle to the sand bed near the overhang :) It's expanding more and regaining the color on the tips and arms, so that's great! As far as peak I don't really know since my Bluefish controller I have it set to a natural sun bell curve, which I'd estimate is between 1-3 hours tops as you would see around noon. When I had my DIM4 controlling my LEDs I had them at my set max intensity for about that time.

pismo_reefer

....again all imo, anecdotal experience and suggestions.

Thats all mine is, too. :D

I have read many light spectrum guides and built multiple DIY LED fixtures and provided information consistent with rollajase so I'll just assume you left me out of that "exclusion" :)

I forgot you. Dammit, I knew I forgot someone. :P

I remember a couple months ago when I first started looking at the ADA 60-f's here on NR they always looked so much bigger than they really are so I thought I'd take some different tank shots to help you get some better perspective on the tank! (Plus I was bored haha)

14735678462_78dbc3aca9_c.jpg

14735975125_caef10ec2e_c.jpg

14735675522_6552e9e684_c.jpg

14735674792_c74a3d9be5_c.jpg

VtRIt3t.gif

Lol, love it!

Off topic, this is to everyone not just Jordan!

It's been a little less than 20 days since frosty the clown passed... And Pablo the remaining clown looks lonely B)

I was wondering if I need to be worried about adding new fish? Pablo is fine, eats like a pig, acts normal. Am I good to add another clown?

Off topic, this is to everyone not just Jordan!

It's been a little less than 20 days since frosty the clown passed... And Pablo the remaining clown looks lonely B)

I was wondering if I need to be worried about adding new fish? Pablo is fine, eats like a pig, acts normal. Am I good to add another clown?

Hope you don't mind me responding too!

You should be fine to add another clown.

The two clowns will probably get into it at first, so my rec. is add either a larger or smaller clown. The larger will be the dominant female, and the smaller would remain male. Pablo may turn into a female clown, so it maybe time to think of a new name! This all depends which way you go.

Hope you don't mind me responding too!

You should be fine to add another clown.

The two clowns will probably get into it at first, so my rec. is add either a larger or smaller clown. The larger will be the dominant female, and the smaller would remain male. Pablo may turn into a female clown, so it maybe time to think of a new name! This all depends which way you go.

Don't mind at all! I'll probably add a bigger one just because he's so small it's hard to find smaller clowns. That's what I did when I got the frostbite and they got along great right from the beginning I was kinda of surprised. Now to figure out what type of clown to get, I might get a black occ this time...

Cameron6796

I've always loved naked clowns lol *repeats that outloud* they are so deep orange.post-79083-0-39560200-1406256685_thumb.jpgpost-79083-0-84035800-1406256693_thumb.jpg

Or you could go black naked clown of you want they are adorable with the little orange on face.

post-79083-0-33118600-1406256703_thumb.jpg

My recommendation is to add a smaller clown as if you add a larger it will force your now most likely female to change again, I can't say for certain and while it may be natural I have read it could be stressful for the fish to change sexes from dominant to subordinate.

Archived